How-to mcp67 SATA

34 posts in this topic

FINALLY I HAVE GOT AROUND TO POSTING MY HOW-TO INSTALL AN MCP67 ON A SATA. so here it is!

First off all credit to JaS. for not only coming back to the scene. But being a modern day hero for osx86...

first off my specs are as follows.

dv6700 series hp.

2GB ram

120GB sata hard drive

mcp67 chipset

Bluetooth

Atheros Wifi.

fingerprint reader.

Again all credit to JaS. And of course bikedude880 for original kext and medevil who maintains it.

I happened to install with the latest kalyway 10.5.2 think were some issues with leo4all r3. as far as zehperoth goes. make sure to grab the r2. as that has the extensions folder because with earlier version will involve extracting and rebuilding the cache. which i am not going to list how to do.

Mount your kalyway iso by double clicking on the iso. now if you notice when you go in the disk image there is only the install mac osx. Well easier then enabling hidden folders  

Go under finder/go/go to folder. Type or paste /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/ once navigated their. procede to delete the siliconvalley.kext and the viaata.kext. Next you will be looking for the IOATAfamily.kext. procede with right clicking and showing package contents. navigate to plugins folder where you will see a bunch of kexts. Delete all the kexts except IOATABlockStorage.kext & IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext. Now copy your AppleNforceATA.kext over and repair permissions by

Sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

then 

Sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

Burn, reboot -f, and install. There however is a few issue with the install. First off i want to say what i have used for install and what has worked and what has not. When installing I choose the sleep kernel. though kalyway installs all kernels. so just type for example. “speedstepkernel” at boot prompt. not a big deal. Secondly sound was a tricky one. I had to leave all 3 of the one kalyway selected to work. the first 3. Otherwise no Dice. As For other boot options i could not select anything for gfx becuase intergrated nvidia. My biggest issue currently is lack of networking. I have a newer HP atheros that seems to be mis detected and giving me the infamous hal 13 error. and since i am first person with this nforce 5 working afiak. there is no forcedeath. though there are sources and someone is more then welcome to compile. But on a good note. Bluetooth, webcam. work out of the box. Now. As far as other things to choose during install I would recomend choosing no ata drivers as you will just delete them later. And no commands kalyway gives you the option of installing. there is no need for cpus=1 or -legacy. the kalyway powermangement bundle is amazing and i highly recomend it. 

Once install it will not boot. becuase the nforceata driver was not installed. It was on the boot dvd only. So once again we need to boot with -f. i recomend -v to just to see what’s going on. load up good old terminal from dvd and type:

rm -rf /Volume/Yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAfamily.kext*

Then proceed to copy from dvd

cp -R /Volume/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volume/yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

repair permissions as stated earlier. 

Now when you reboot another boot command is needed. you need on first boot “-f idlehalt=0” and for every boot after that you also need idlehalt=0 so i recomend putting it in your com.apple.boot.plist.

Enjoy ^_^

attatched is the binary.kext. JaS has posted the source.

Can you please tell me how to do any of this because im kind of a newbie

Here is the modified AppleNforceATA sources, these sources will compile to support the MCP 67 pci sata controller along with all other previously supported controllers.

Once the kext is built you will need to add in your device id's to the info plist.

Dev id 0x056010de and 055010de have been added.

Remember to clean them before compiling or the build will fail.

HI JaS,

its an honor to talk to you.

I would like to ask if this kext works on all hackintosh distros? Should I use Zephyroth. I have a amd turion 64 X2. but the chipset is the same MCP 67 and also the device id's are the same. But I still get the "still waiting for root device".

How would I be able to clean before compiling. Im just using Transmac 8, mount the iso, delete the appleviaata.kext and SilliconImage3132.kext, and copy to the iso your kext. should i edit also the mkext?

thanks in advanced

• 3 weeks later...
I have got mine working nicely at the moment. I used leo4all 4.1 to install to an external hdd then moved the drive into the laptop which then booted with the mcp67 support without a problem. I no longer have to carry the external with me just to use OSX. Thanks for all the help :)

ive been trying to use the same aproach with ideneb 1.3 and i get waiting for root device when the sata drive is in the laptop, but when i take it outside i can actually boot with -x .... maybe i should use leo4all

• 2 weeks later...

*(HP/Compaq v6500z)*

Ok, first thanks for the MCP67 kext

So like everyone here, the install dosent reconize my SATA controller (MCP67) .. old news

I patched the Kalyway 10.5.2 with your new nforce kext and on boot it saw my SATA controller (YAY)

.. but then i got a "Still waiting for root device" error I never got that error with the kalyway iso before I added the new kext. It always booted to the installer without problems.

Does that mean that it is no longer seeing the IDE controller for my DVD rom to install from or am I way off base there? (I fully admit to being a noob to all this)

if so(or if not so) any ideas on where to go from here?

• 4 weeks later...
how did you move your install to your internal hd if you don't mind me asking?

Hi,

You can use GNU parted or dd to copy your osx86 from an external HD to your internal SATA HD.

But be very careful with these commands.

Example:

Copy from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sda4

# parted /dev/sda

(parted) cp

Source device? [/dev/sda]? /dev/sdb

Source partition number? 1

Destination partition number? 4

...... # PRINTS PROGRESS percentage here...

No Implementation: Sorry, HFS+ cannot be resized that way yet. # DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS

(parted) quit

Note that the size of resulting filesystem will be the same as the 1st HD.

(In this exemple /dev/sdb1).

• 2 months later...

I have been reading in this forum fo so long that I think I have gone CROSS-EYED. :-)

I have an HP DV6807US Laptop, and I have tried numerous DVD's to install the MAC OSX86 on this machine - and with no success.

The ones that I have tried are as follows:

iatkos v4a

iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5

Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd

Leo4allv4.1

I think that the main reason that the iatkos v4a sis not work is that is for INTEL processors, and I have an AMD TL-60 in my machine....so that one really does not count.

All of them will not see the HDD installed in my machine, and based on the reading I have done here...it is because the laptop is in AHCI mode in the BIOS, and I cannot disable this (THANK YOU HP!!!!). One of the Discs did see my HDD (to which I had freed 40GB at the end of the 160GB) but it would not format it - I was getting an IO ERROR.

I have been reading about KEXTS, and all other manners of getting this OS onto my machine...but no-one has posted the CORRECT way to insert a KEXT into an ISO image. I have TRANSMAC installed on my desktop...and I can open these images...and I have downloaded about 14 .RAR files from various posts on this site to which I can OPEN and see the files/folders inside.

So how do I put one of these KEXT files into the .ISO before I burn it with TRANSMAC so that I can hopefully use them?

Can anyone provide more insight on this issue with this laptop? I can post any information that need about my laptop that the program PC WIZARD 2008 has pulled. Some of this information is already in other posts by me.

Thank You,

*BH*

• 1 month later...
FINALLY I HAVE GOT AROUND TO POSTING MY HOW-TO INSTALL AN MCP67 ON A SATA. so here it is!

First off all credit to JaS. for not only coming back to the scene. But being a modern day hero for osx86...

first off my specs are as follows.

dv6700 series hp.

2GB ram

120GB sata hard drive

mcp67 chipset

Bluetooth

Atheros Wifi.

fingerprint reader.

Again all credit to JaS. And of course bikedude880 for original kext and medevil who maintains it.

I happened to install with the latest kalyway 10.5.2 think were some issues with leo4all r3. as far as zehperoth goes. make sure to grab the r2. as that has the extensions folder because with earlier version will involve extracting and rebuilding the cache. which i am not going to list how to do.

Mount your kalyway iso by double clicking on the iso. now if you notice when you go in the disk image there is only the install mac osx. Well easier then enabling hidden folders  

Go under finder/go/go to folder. Type or paste /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/ once navigated their. procede to delete the siliconvalley.kext and the viaata.kext. Next you will be looking for the IOATAfamily.kext. procede with right clicking and showing package contents. navigate to plugins folder where you will see a bunch of kexts. Delete all the kexts except IOATABlockStorage.kext & IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext. Now copy your AppleNforceATA.kext over and repair permissions by

Sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

then 

Sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

Burn, reboot -f, and install. There however is a few issue with the install. First off i want to say what i have used for install and what has worked and what has not. When installing I choose the sleep kernel. though kalyway installs all kernels. so just type for example. “speedstepkernel” at boot prompt. not a big deal. Secondly sound was a tricky one. I had to leave all 3 of the one kalyway selected to work. the first 3. Otherwise no Dice. As For other boot options i could not select anything for gfx becuase intergrated nvidia. My biggest issue currently is lack of networking. I have a newer HP atheros that seems to be mis detected and giving me the infamous hal 13 error. and since i am first person with this nforce 5 working afiak. there is no forcedeath. though there are sources and someone is more then welcome to compile. But on a good note. Bluetooth, webcam. work out of the box. Now. As far as other things to choose during install I would recomend choosing no ata drivers as you will just delete them later. And no commands kalyway gives you the option of installing. there is no need for cpus=1 or -legacy. the kalyway powermangement bundle is amazing and i highly recomend it. 

Once install it will not boot. becuase the nforceata driver was not installed. It was on the boot dvd only. So once again we need to boot with -f. i recomend -v to just to see what’s going on. load up good old terminal from dvd and type:

rm -rf /Volume/Yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAfamily.kext*

Then proceed to copy from dvd

cp -R /Volume/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /Volume/yourhddname/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

repair permissions as stated earlier. 

Now when you reboot another boot command is needed. you need on first boot “-f idlehalt=0” and for every boot after that you also need idlehalt=0 so i recomend putting it in your com.apple.boot.plist.

Enjoy ;)

attatched is the binary.kext. JaS has posted the source.