Gay 'marriage' for Anglican priests

18 posts in this topic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/7587156

The first {censored} "marriage" has been carried out in an Anglican church between two priests, it has emerged.

The Rev Peter Cowell and the Rev Dr David Lord exchanged vows at St Bartholomew the Great in the City of London last month.

Although some clergy have carried out blessings for civil ceremonies before, this is the first time the traditional wedding marriage service has been held for a same sex couple.

The Sunday Telegraph quoted the Archbishop of Uganda, the Most Rev Henry Orombi, as saying: "The leadership tried to deny that this would happen, but now the truth is out. Our respect for the Church of England will erode unless we see a return to traditional teaching."

The news will renew bitter debate among Anglicans over the issues of {censored} priests and homosexual marriage.

Under Church of England guidance, {censored} clergy can enter a civil partnership if they provide reassurance that they will abstain from sex.

Couples who ask a priest to bless their union must be dealt with "pastorally and sensitively" on an individual basis.

Anglican Bishops hold widely varying views on sexuality and the Church leaders have struggled to find middle ground. The Church was divided by the appointment of its first openly {censored} Bishop, Gene Robinson, in 2003.

He exchanged vows with his long-term partner Mark Andrew, in a civil ceremony in America earlier this month.

Mr Robinson has been excluded from the forthcoming Lambeth Conference, a key church gathering which is held once every 10 years and will take place in Canterbury next month. Sexuality is one of the topics up for discussion.

Copyright © Press Association Ltd. 2008, All Rights Reserved.

I can't decide if this is good or bad -_-

I don't like the idea of {censored} marriage, but then I don't believe in marriage in general. But many people do, and no one should have any restrictions in forming a bond with someone they love.

can I ask what you don't like about {censored} marriage Marvin? I understand your stance on marriage, what changes after the wedding day? nothing!

Perhaps it's just because I watched the Sex and the City movie last night :(

I don't like how marriage is tied to religion, as far as I am concerned, a civil partnership is fine for me. I won't be out on the streets protesting any time soon :(

To quote the measured and kindly response of a M. R. Winters on the Speaking of Faith web blog:

{censored} marriage is the next phase of liberalization of culture - it is a next step of belief from the idea that former slaves are human beings, that women are able to think and vote and be in charge of their own reproductive choices. It is also the liberalization of culture that has said that children are people and not property (thus should be protected by the state if parents are abusive). Looking at the {censored} marriage issue in a historical context of more personal responsibility may be beneficial.

It's not about promoting, endorsing, or condoning. It's about allowing others the same freedoms we ourselves enjoy. Look at the mess caused in places where diversity of thought and belief are strictly controlled. I don't know about you, but seeing others who believe and behave differently from me helps me better understand why I make the choices I do. It's pretty damn hard to be a good Christian (or whatever tradition you embrace) if that's the only choice you have! It makes the whole process mute.

So please try to expand your minds and grow up. The extension of marriage rights is not the apocalypse. Letting others pursue their life, liberty and happiness how they choose only adds value to our own choices. Deny them that and you only deny yourself.

Please refrain from Ad Hominem (I know it wasn't directed at me.)

I think everything he said was good. Free thought? Liberty? Equal Rights?

Sounds fine to me.

oh I'm sorry!! nono you've got me wrong...

I was referring to the quote:

"{censored} marriage is the next phase of liberalization of culture - it is a next step of belief from the idea that former slaves are human beings, that women are able to think and vote and be in charge of their own reproductive choices. It is also the liberalization of culture that has said that children are people and not property (thus should be protected by the state if parents are abusive). Looking at the {censored} marriage issue in a historical context of more personal responsibility may be beneficial."

not what aduffbrew said about it.