Slim Leopard install?

~pcwiz

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a slim Leopard OS X install that will only take up about 470MB of disk space. IDK if this is possible, but I only got it down to about 2.5GB :)

EDIT: Also, I don't need ANYTHING except the bare minimums to run the system. As long as it can run a custom app I stick in there I'm OK.

I'll try anyways...no harm in trying ;) My delete list:

* Voices

* Dictionaries

* All apps except the bare minimums

* Delete pretty much all CoreServices

* The Dock :D

Anything else I find that doesn't have a nice name :P

OK believe it or not I got it down to about 300MB. Probably won't boot though, let me give it a try :(

EDIT: Ah well, didn't boot. It got relatively far though, loaded the kernel and extensions, but then it froze at some /sbin/launchd error :(

you'd have to strip the binaries and keep only the platform you need. i guess i dont really see the point in this tho, USB drives are like $30 for 8gigs, $20 for 4gigs and everyone has a DVD drive or DVD-R drive.

hi ~pcwiz,

i tried it my selfe in order to careate a MacLiveUSB, but got only to something like 2G, i entered each resource and deleted the language resources (left only english) and striped all images/apps/utils etc.

but i got to a different problem, it failed to boot, every time,

i used many methods on the web, used 5 different types of USB, partitions and formats, different computers and bios, and still nada.

can you please write a step by step reply on how did you get it to load kernel at all?

thanks ahead,

Shay.

Sent you a PM shaybc. Also, there is a minimalist OS X called Bootable Utilities that is 1.75GB, and I got it to boot and work on a hackintosh. Instructions here.

thanks, for some reason my PM did not work, probably a problem with the forum,

i will look into it, thanks.