ATI AC 97 Sounds (SB400) effort

Andras Kenez

696 posts in this topic

Anyone heard from EdFlyer in a while ? He was gonna try to fix the external amp problem when he got some free time, guess it didn't happen. I'm about to d/l xcode, the kext source from this thread & try some experimenting, I haven't got anything to lose as video isn't supported either (x200).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone figured out how to prevent iTunes from stopping at random times?

You are using the 10.4.8 kernel right?

Its important that you enter the right FSB in your boot.plist. It did solve my problemens with latency and random stops.

Also, you can try to lower your system and iTunes volume and crank up the volume of your speakers.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while, part of the problem with being a Software major is that, software classes like to eat away all your free time. Hopefully soon I'll be able to take a crack at it one more time as it seems that they have a patch for the MSI In linux, so if I can find out where that was done and what was changed then I can possibly integrate that and get the rest of our laptops working.

One of my friends downloaded os x and used this audio driver on his amd x2 rig so it does work for the lucky ones.

-Ed

Sorry to say this guys, but the patch for MSI laptops happens to be a different issue than what I've got going.

I finally found that I have sound working, it just mad quiet. I changed the output to the headphone line and connected external speakers on my Gateway 7515gx laptop and turned my speakers all the way up and I can hear sound very quietly. When I apply the patch for the MSI laptops in my code, I get absolutely no sound at all.

It is frustrating, and the linux source code doesn't seem to say anything more specific.

Sorry to say this guys, but the patch for MSI laptops happens to be a different issue than what I've got going.

I finally found that I have sound working, it just mad quiet. I changed the output to the headphone line and connected external speakers on my Gateway 7515gx laptop and turned my speakers all the way up and I can hear sound very quietly. When I apply the patch for the MSI laptops in my code, I get absolutely no sound at all.

It is frustrating, and the linux source code doesn't seem to say anything more specific.

That's the same issue I have as well, but with Ubuntu or Kubuntu I just turn off the external amp in Alsa Mixer & sound works every other reboot, I did find a tip the other day about blacklisting the ATIIXP Modem driver for ubuntu & now sound works every time with no further issues.

i was thinking, and possibly i could post the MSI patch, and then I could see if it works for the MSI people, and then they get to be happy, and I still deal with the MSI issue. Let me know if you want to test. (it doesn't like my hardware and likes to crash it after i do some messing with the volume.)

I'm gonna download a couple distros and load up linux on one partition and do some experimentation to see what's up.

aight.

I have a NB with soundmax AC97 AD1981BL sound device.

I find that the AppleAC97Audio.kext drivers have been loaded.

And I can adjust the volume...

But no Sound...

I try to plug headphone into the MIC hole, but the same...no sound....

Does anyone know that how to enable my soundmax AC97 AD1981BL?

thx....

But In Ubuntu Linux, I run alsamixer driver, and mute "Headphone Jack Sense" , "Line jack Sense" and "External Amplifier", and the music can comes out Smile.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem in OSX? thx.....

Guys, i dont know if this question was answered before but i didnt found it on the search.. my p4 only have a sounblaster audigy pci card, no onboard.... is there any way to have mac os x 10.4.5 working with my sound card? thx

Why the hell are you asking this question in this thread. This is about an onboard audiochipset found in the Ati Southbrige 400 (SB400).... go use the search... you can always make your own topic with some more details concerning your problem...

Edited by Gehaktbal

• 4 weeks later...

Great work everyone.

Thought I'd share my kext, modded to work for the Toshiba Equium A60-155. It should also work for the toshiba satellite a60-155 too, but not sure if it will though, the Equium is the european version of that machine. Load the AppleAC97AudioATIIXP n ur good to go :) Tested on JaS 10.4.7. Oh will also work with anyone with the device id: 0x43411002 meh, save you 2 seconds of editing lol.

Badger

AppleAC97Audio.kext.zip

Edited by Bored Badger

Soz but I'm not aware of this as I dont have a mic :) will test it out asap though n see what can be done if not.

== Edit ==

No it doesn't work

we never had sound input working in the driver, only sound output. Maybe someone besides me with some more time on their hands can continue working on the driver.

we never had sound input working in the driver, only sound output. Maybe someone besides me with some more time on their hands can continue working on the driver.

Ed>> I know. I've been following the project since the beginning. If only my programming skills were up to par. It's a shame, that input is part of an increasingly small list of things I need Windows for.

Does anyone know, why iTunes with this driver stops playing in a while? It's like that: I listen to a few songs, after like 20 minutes of listening, the music get very low quality sound. If I put my notebook to sleep, and after few seconds, I wake it up music plays normal. Help, please.

Edited by Racko

hi, i've sound output. Itunes works well and midi file also but when Garageband inizializes the sound driver, the system freezes...

no problems if i disable onboard audio in the bios settings :rolleyes:

any idea?

ps: In my system info there's "No Built-in Audio" ... is it ok?