How well do Asus Motherboards run OSX ? in general

16 posts in this topic

I am going to buy a Asus p5q, this board is currently very new (not out yet) based on the P45 boards - no info can be found if it runs OSX

I would like to know how well asus motherboard work in OSX in general, if you know or have one please tell me your experience :)

specs: http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?option=com_...=54&limit=1

in terms of my skill level - I am fairly experienced in installing OSX and don't mind patching things up audio/video I currently have a hackintosh laptop quad booted with EasyBCD.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I wouldn't buy any P45 board yet. Wait until they've been out for a few months and bios issues and such have been worked out... especially with Asus boards and their notoriously bad bioses. Plus, you'll be able to see what issues folks have with OS X on them (probably few) and work arounds and updated kexts and stuff will be available. Myself I'll be buying a DFI x48 board when the prices plummet after the P45s hit. -_-

Do you have any info/resource/link/personal experience about those notoriously bad bioses? :blink:

Lots of personal experience. I suggest checking the Asus forum for the board you decide to purchase and see what issues people are having. They don't make bad boards, but they can be troublesome. Asus seems to be living on their name and past glories these day. Just look at the P5K-E and its thirteen or so bios revisions... and they still can't get it right. And that board is popular as hell. :P

I hate to be such a DFI fanboy, but they do make the best. :(

Just look at the P5K-E and its thirteen or so bios revisions... and they still can't get it right. And that board is popular as hell. :P

Yep. I have 3 P5K-E boards around with different BIOS revisions and i never experienced any issues with them, ever.

In my previous post i just wanted to say that talking about a manufacturers' product quality in general does not represents anything.

Peace! :)

I have three (3!) p5k-e wifi ap boards. There are some bios quirks, especially if running higher speed RAM. But damn, its such a good hackintosh mobo (everything works-mic-in, firewire, sleep,etc.) , you can live with a bios quirk here and there. ;)

I have three (3!) p5k-e wifi ap boards. There are some bios quirks, especially if running higher speed RAM. But damn, its such a good hackintosh mobo (everything works-mic-in, firewire, sleep,etc.) , you can live with a bios quirk here and there. ;)

What quirks? I'm using my boards with 2x1GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR2 modules at 1066MHz. No quirks here :D

I used to be zealous about Asus myself. Then I got bit in the ass one too many times and finally saw the light. They spend too much time developing consumer level products and too little time developing good mobos. Think what you want, though. I mean I'm just one person with an opinion. It's not etched in stone or anything.

Peace.

Funny, but I'm the same way with Asus. I used to use nothing but Asus boards and swore by them. Then I built a few HTPCs for others using Asus and started to notice some quirks like being really picky with RAM. Nothing too serious, but just enough to make me start looking around more at other brands. Meanwhile I find I like Gigabyte boards more and more, and have been using them pretty steadily.

What quirks? I'm using my boards with 2x1GB Kingston 1066MHz DDR2 modules at 1066MHz. No quirks here :(

One of the quirks is the "silent blank boot".

You turn the computer on, and nothing. Lights turn on. No graphics no HDD boots, no bios beeps, nothing. This has happened to me more times than I care to count (then again, I have 3 boards, and all 3 have done it - even RMA'd one!) Very annoying.

I think the bios gets corrupted too easily.

Thanks a lot for the advice on the P5Q. I think I'll wait it out then and just get a reliable old P5W DH this round.

Good luck trying to find one! I might suggest eBay. Newegg stopped carrying them so I guess ASUS no longer manufactures this board.

• 2 weeks later...