How do I transfer my account to new Mac?

snowmen

6 posts in this topic

I purchase an iMac, and I want to transfer all my data on the previous X86 Mac to the iMac

I cannot use the hold-down T for it, and I have important files such as iWeb and some other settings...

Is there a way to transfer all the user stuff to the new iMac?

Does migration assistant sound familiar to you? If not you can find it under Go->Utilities. To find out how to connect both PC's and then transfer using the migration assistant go here:

Sorry, Migration Assistant sound really fimilar to me.

However, you need to hold on "T" on PC boot to get firewire boot, which you aren't able to do it at all...

Transferring the data requires that the system the data is coming FROM (the old computer) be booted in Firewire slave mode. The process of making this happen I actually don't know if it works with a PC, because this function is part of the "firmware" of a Macintosh, and not found in BIOS and I don't think part of the Darwin boot.

The other method is to make a disk image (DMG) file of the data you want to transfer over, make a partition on the new Mac, expand the DMG into that partition, then tell the Migration Assistant your old mac data is on a separate volume.

There are accessories that can hang an IDE drive off firewire and/or USB ports. I think if you mount the PC's old OSx86 hard drive off the new Mac using this accessory, again you'd have a volume the Migration Assistant can suck dry to get settings and files, programs etc.

Beware, when I went from a PPC mac to OSx86 using the Firewire slave method, I ended up having to boot and re-patch 10.4.5 again as my system was obviously hanging on some PPC specific kernel extension it sucked across from the Mac Mini.

If the data is going into an Intel-based Mac, you shouldn't experience this trouble. Apple however loses more points with me for being stupid about migrating kernel extensions from PPC to Intel. There are going to be REAL Apple owners perhaps bitten in the butt by this problem who upgrade from some older PPC based model.