Can't see contents of install DVD image

Kronoid

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I realize this must be a newbie question but I have spent the last 6 hours searching this forum and the web and didn't find an answer. I found lots of people who asked the same question here but the threads didn't have any solutions. Could anybody please help here?

I'm having problems extracting kalyway_leo_10.5.1.iso.

After I downloaded it I used Winrar and all I get are these:

CHAIN0

CDBOOT

BOOT1U

BOOT1H

BOOTO

BOOT.CAT

BOOT

BOOTHELP:TXT

Something is clearly not right since those amount to only 129KB while the winrar file is 4.37GB, so some files are probably hidden. How do I proceed to make a bootable DVD out of these? I'm using Nero 6 and could'nt get it to work. If I burn only the visible files it doesn't work, so the hidden files are obviously not brunt along. I don't think I should burn the whole file in rar form. So how do I need to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the demo and installed it. Now I can see several folders when accessing the rar file through TransMac. So I copied the files to a new folder and tried buring it with Nero but I get an error. Tried using the ISO and DVD Room settings in Nero and it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks again.

Now using Transmac I do see the contents. There is a folder named HFS+Volume and then inside this there are 5 folders (.fseventsd , .Trashes, .vol, Install Mac OS X.app, System) plus a vanilla file. I thought it was an ISO as the file name said so. But instead there are folders inside. I don't think I should burn the folders. So should I burn the content of the folders directly onto the DVD disc? Some of the folders are actually empty (.Trashes and .vol) and other have more folders inside. Thanks.

It is NOT a rar file. It is an ISO file.

Use IMGBURN to burn not NERO. Link to IMGBURN above. In imgburn select burn image to disc and select the iso file and it burn it to DVD

Downloaded IMGBURN and burnt the whole "rar" file to disc. Although it looked like a Rar file it had a .iso extension. After burnet I can only see the same files in there:

CHAIN0

CDBOOT

BOOT1U

BOOT1H

BOOTO

BOOT.CAT

BOOT

BOOTHELP:TXT

On my My Computer browser it shows as OSX86dvd but when I go to properties it is only 192KB big. Does this sound right? Doesn't seems like.

Tried burning with Nero to and in this case I see the the whole "rar" file just as it was in my HDD. The size is still 4.37GB but it seems to be the data file rather than anything else. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help to get this working. I really appreciated it.

@kronoid: you are stupid: why?: because "ISO" is an image file in packed standard form, the reason it looks like as rar, is because rar program you use supports iso extension to show its contents! but it doesnt show everything, thats the reason why you cant burn just the folders in it... it contains crucial BOOTLOADER information in hidden place, only be shown by special iso programs... the only way to use that iso is to burn it to a dvd using a iso burning software like imgburn, or nero or anything you like, at a low speed of 4x or lower to ensure integrity...

if you keep insisting it is a rar file, you are uber stupid uber noob uber moron... rar file means rar extension.... it clearly is ISO therefore it is an image file of a cd/dvd... not just a pack of folders...

the reason why you dont see the contents inside the dvd, is because it is HFS format which is invisible to windows without using special programs... even in OSX you will only see couple of files when you directly run the dvd. only in terminal you can see the contents... which you will not know now...

you are not meant to see the contents directly anyway, what you need to do is, burn the iso, restart the computer with the dvd inside, and boot from the dvd (of course you are required to set your bios to boot from your dvdrom in the first place)

I DOUBT THAT YOU ARE CLEVER ENOUGH To UNDERSTAND THE VERY BASIC STUFFS, YOU WILL INDEED GIVE OTHERS A BIG HEADACHE LATER WHEN YOU TRY TO INSTALL... BECAUSE LIKE I SAID, YOU ARE UBER SUPER DUPER DUMB STUPID... USE THE FKING GOOGLE IF YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING, DONT FKING CLAIM THINGS LIKE YOU ARE EXPERT AT... YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT FILE YOU ARE WORKING ON, HOW ARE YOU GONNA INSTALL IT? JUST STICK IT AND IT INSTALLS ITSELF? :unsure:

Now now Mysticus, tone down the bashing. <_< He is just a clueless Windows user.

Kronoid, the disk you burnt through imgburn is the correct disk, you can only see 192KB on a windows PC as Windows cannot read Apple format disks unless you install special software such as MacDrive. Install MacDrive on your PC and then look at the CD and you will see all the files.

So once again, the disk your burnt with imgburn is the correct one. Boot with that disk and see what happens and before asking any further questions post your full machine specs, just see mine or Mysticus's signature for what detail is needed.