Leopard only sees 3GB RAM after overclock on P5B-VM SE

hg2007

9 posts in this topic

Everytime i try to overclock over 2.7ghz on my intel core2duo E4500 i seem to lose half my RAM in the activity monitor as if leopard aint 64bit any more. Does anyone know why this is?

It detects the RAM it says there is 6GB installed but it only shows 2.54GB free when it should be 5GB free so it seems as if 64bit as been disabled. Its ok when its overclocked up to 245 fsb but any more the amount of free RAM disappears.

My computer specs if it helps:

Asus p5b-vm se 1066 mhz

intel core 2 duo e4500 2.2 ghz

2 x 2GB Adata 667mhz DDR2 RAM

2 x 1GB Adata 667mhz DDR2 RAM

Yeah memory remap enabled, all RAM speeds are same the only difference in the RAM is the size. I can use the full 6GB without overclocking only when overclocking it dissapears.

well if its only happning while OC'ing it might mean your North or South bridge (i forget which for memory) isn't getting enough power. you might have to increase the values or make sure your FSB isnt too high. also make sure you have the latest BIOS too.

well if its only happning while OC'ing it might mean your North or South bridge (i forget which for memory) isn't getting enough power. you might have to increase the values or make sure your FSB isnt too high. also make sure you have the latest BIOS too.

Yeah thanks that might be the reason as my psu is a bit {censored}. Il upgrade that and my bios and see if it works then.

Also has anyone OC'ed this board with a Q6600? And if you have more than 4GB memory is that ok afterwards? As i might be getting one soon.

Yeah thanks that might be the reason as my psu is a bit {censored}. Il upgrade that and my bios and see if it works then.

Also has anyone OC'ed this board with a Q6600? And if you have more than 4GB memory is that ok afterwards? As i might be getting one soon.

check my sig, but ya. i had a P5W-DH previously with 4gigs of RAM and now I'm on a P5K Premium with a Q6600. the other thing to consider is the quality of your RAM/brand or maybe its just a defective stick(s).

curious if you've tried to do other testing like OC with just 1 stick then 2 then 3 then 4 and see when the problem happens or if you always have just half the RAM, maybe only 2 of the sticks are having issues. also is 245 the magic number for it to stop working? and what speed is your RAM at when you're at 245? also for testing keep going faster until you reach another FSB strap and it might start working again. some motherboards/BIOS's have bad areas as you reach the end of a strap before it switches to another one.