4GB Memory Crash + Good way to test

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an Abit ip35-e motherboard and it crashes when I have 4 gb of ram. I can use the memmax=3072 to make it work. I tried disabling the JMicron controller in bios and moving the kext, but neither of those worked if I wanted to use all my memory.

I attached a picture of the debug output.

Also, I attached a C program to quickly see if a fix worked (memcheck and memcheck.c in memcheck.zip) quickly without waiting for it to crash. Basically run "./memcheck 4096" and it will try allocating 4gb of memory. If you compile it yourself do -O0 to be safe. If the app runs and doesn't crash your hackintosh you are good.

Hope somebody can help.

-Mike

Wel, I've managed to get rid of my jmicron by moving my DVD drive to firewire, disabling the controller & removing the kext. I still have some very characteristic hangs, though, so I tried your memcheck.

it throws a lot of:

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

memcheck(331) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)

*** error: can't allocate region

but essentially it runs, and completes, although the system tends to hang (in a very familiar way) whilst it is running, it was fine afterwards.

Wel, I've managed to get rid of my jmicron by moving my DVD drive to firewire, disabling the controller & removing the kext. I still have some very characteristic hangs, though, so I tried your memcheck.

it throws a lot of:

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

memcheck(331) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)

*** error: can't allocate region

but essentially it runs, and completes, although the system tends to hang (in a very familiar way) whilst it is running, it was fine afterwards.

The malloc errors are supposed to happen. It will allocate as much memory as it can, then it writes to it. The reason why it causes things to hang is that it swaps out all your memory to disk, so apps will run slow for a bit because all their memory is swapped to disk.

I did the test and it didn't crash, just made the computer slow while it was running. Does that mean my Mac can utilise the full 4GB?

I did the test and it didn't crash, just made the computer slow while it was running. Does that mean my Mac can utilise the full 4GB?
Yeah it means you can run 4 gigs. It's supposed to run slow
the only issue with 4gigs of ram is if you have jmicron hardware or using the viaata kext.
I disabled JMicron in bios and renamed the kext, and it still didnt' fix it. Is there any other workaround? I'll try the VIAATA kext thing, but I didn't think I had a via ata controller.

Guys, what exactly do I do to modify my maxmem? A guide would be great! :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Edit

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Change the line after Kernel Flags to

<string>debug=0x100 maxmem=3072</string>

• 3 months later...