MSI Wind - Best solution for osx86 on a sub-notebook?

108 posts in this topic

Expansys is trustworthy, have used them many times before in the UK.

The only reason I don't have a pre-order in is that their delivery date is mid-July and they have in the past had a tendency to hit the "stock due date" then suddenly move the goalposts again. That way they get pre-orders in when people might have gone elsewhere if they knew what the real delivery date was going to be up front.

Otherwise, I have no problems with using Expansys and will probably buy my Wind from them.

Expensis.. yeah.. I see that also MWave.com had them up.

Expansys is trustworthy, have used them many times before in the UK.

The only reason I don't have a pre-order in is that their delivery date is mid-July and they have in the past had a tendency to hit the "stock due date" then suddenly move the goalposts again. That way they get pre-orders in when people might have gone elsewhere if they knew what the real delivery date was going to be up front.

Otherwise, I have no problems with using Expansys and will probably buy my Wind from them.

As far as I can tell the MSI Wind is exactly the same hardware, except it has GigE ethernet and an Atheros based wireless card. Beyond that, they are the same.

WHICH MEANS !!!! OSX should run quite well on the msi wind...

Are you sure the hardware is so similar?

BOXD945GCLF

Intel 945GC & ICH7

MSI Wind

Intel 945GMS & ICH7M

I think the northbridge and southbridge chipsets are different.

Wonder if there would be a way to use the Macbook Air's remote drive feature? I assume we could just get someone to upload it?

I don't think so, I think this is built into the firmware of the Macbook Air. You need to hold down the Optoin key when you are booting in order to install over the network from someone else's drive.

Good thinking though! And while i'm talking about it, anyone know a good bus powered optical drive?

Loccy thanks for the pic.. you bet that looks dead simple to yank out and replace.

GREAT NEWS.

And here's one disassembled:

2518281203_d1bca4aa47.jpg

Unless I miss my guess, that'd be the wifi card at the bottom of the picture. Looks a doddle to whip that out and stick a Dell in there.

It gets even more interesting. Check this post from msiwind.net out:

http://forums.msiwind.net/post3357.html#p3357

Apparently MSI are supplying drivers for a Realtek RTL8187SE, not an Atheros. So if that holds, and what they're putting in the release models is Realtek based, and assuming that a RTL8187SE is the same as any other RTL8187XYZ, I think we could be ready to rock and roll without opening the box! Bring. It. On.

Another review here that specifies Realtek wifi. It gets better and better (apart from the fact I've already ordered a Dell from ebay, so might well have wasted my money!)

http://apcmag.com/msi_wind.htm?page=2

It gets even more interesting. Check this post from msiwind.net out:

http://forums.msiwind.net/post3357.html#p3357

Apparently MSI are supplying drivers for a Realtek RTL8187SE, not an Atheros. So if that holds, and what they're putting in the release models is Realtek based, and assuming that a RTL8187SE is the same as any other RTL8187XYZ, I think we could be ready to rock and roll without opening the box! Bring. It. On.

Another review here that specifies Realtek wifi. It gets better and better (apart from the fact I've already ordered a Dell from ebay, so might well have wasted my money!)

http://apcmag.com/msi_wind.htm?page=2

Nice find. I ordered my Wind on the 16th and I can't wait to put OSX on it.

SCORE!!!it works with external USB disc-drives for bootup!

Installing Windows XP???? Attach the power cord to the AC adapter and the notebook.???? Connect the external USB CD-ROM or DVD-ROM to the notebook???? Place the Windows® XP service pack 2 (or newer) installation disk into the external USBCD-ROM or DVD-ROM connected.???? Start the system and press <F11> while the system is booting up.???? Select the boot device [uSB:xxxxxxx (maybe labeled with different name)] to boot from theoptical device drive.???? Delete any existing partition while the Windows® XP installation screen appears.

Also it supports AHCI and Speedstep can be turned on and off!!!From chapter 4:

Intel® SpeedStepThis item allows you to enable or disable Intel SpeedStep technology.When set to Disabled, the system always operates in a conserve powermode (the processor works at FSB400-600MHz or FSB533-800MHz). If you want optimize the processor, set this item to Enabled, so that theprocessor’s speed will be controlled by the use of your operating systemand applications. Setting options: Enabled, and Disabled.???? AHCI Mode (Advanced Host Controller Interface)Use this item to enable or disable the AHCI Mode. Setting options:Disabled and Enabled. The default setting is Disabled.

you can get the english manual from the bottom of the post or from here in many more languages:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...mp;prod_no=1474

I held off on pre-ordering...is there anyone in the US who will take pre-orders for these?

N011_v1.0_EN.zip

does that mean we won't have to swap anything?!?!

I hope I can just pop in Kalyway or Leo4All in my external and install and everything works out of the box! It's looking pretty promising. Apple really should make a laptop SMALLER, not thinner, than the macbook. I'd be all over it. I used to have a 12" powerbook and seeing the wind really made me wanna relive having a tiny computer.

I pre-ordered from MSI. This will be my first OSX86 experience (though i've been using OSX for several years).

If Apple offered a competitive product for even $800, I would probably buy it. It's a shame they totally missed the mark with the MB Air.

Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in terms of this particular effort, but I'll be watching the thread closely and hoping for big things. May the schwartz be with you.

For those with OSX86 experience, what's my best option for an XP/OSX86 setup? Dual-booting? Can I run Parallels or VMWare in OSX86? I need XP mainly for browser testing (I'm a web designer).