[Guide] Triple or quad monitors with two graphic cards

peach-os

203 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have seen that we need to remove NVinject.kext to get this to work. Do we also need to remove NVinjectGo.kext?

Another thing that I have noticed, is that when I run Repair Permissions, I don't see com.apple.boot.plist appearing as I was told I should in Aquamac's instructions at: http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=569&page=1

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong? I have followed the instructions precisely. The only thing I am not sure about if I am running EFI V8 or not. I have a Kalyway 10.5.2 install.

So it seems I have gotten further. I am able to see my two cards in the system profiler. Unfortunately, my PCI card is listed as 'Display' even though I named it 'NVIDIA GeForce 6200 PCI' in my in.plist file. I am attaching my Plist file and screen shots of what I see in my system profiler.

Any help would be much appreciated!

post-355747-1232768361_thumb.png

post-355747-1232768391_thumb.png

plist.txt

Peach,

Nope. Unfortunately I have not been able to get an output from both video cards at the same time as of yet... that is my ultimate goal :)

I am trying to troubleshoot this by getting one monitor running on my PCI express card and another running on my PCI card.

One thing I noticed is that without the NVinject drivers installed, my card 6200 PCI card can only run 1024x768 running alone.

So does that mean that since I cannot use NVinject with GFX, I cannot use this card?

Does GFX does not support a GeForce 6200 ?

For this 6200 card, under NVInject, Quartz is supported and I can get the resolution I am looking for (running alone).

Without NVInject, Quartz is not supported and I can only run 1024x768.

Score!!!

I got it working.

So I ended up not using the approach outlined in this thread. Rather I ended up using the NVinject dual card kext available at http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

I used NVinject.0.2.0_dual_cards.zip

With that, I can run my 6200 PCI and my 7200 PCI Express together to run a total of 4 screens. I am able to run quartz as well. In bios I had to choose PCI as my preferred startup device.

I am pretty happy about this. Now I just need to get surround sound working and I have the system exactly the way I want it.

Does it matter what order I list the cards in my plist? For instance does the card in the first PCI slot have to correspond to the card listed first in the plist?

Then after I combine the two cards into one plist do I then export it to a hex and then combine that hex with my ethernet and audio hex(s). I'm using OSX86 Tools to try and accomplish this.

OK I got it as well. In my case I had to do several things. First do not us the strings in EFIStudio or OSX86Tools. They were seemingly too short. I used AquaMac's strings and edited them to fit my cards.

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=569&page=1

Then probably the most important, because I have a Gigabyte board (GA- EP35-DS4 v2.1) I had to set PEG2 in the BIOS. If you don't use PEG2 it just freezes.

I now have a nVidia 8800GT 512MB an nVidia 8500GT 256MB. Now to test out my HDMI connection on the 8500.

ciao...

my two 8500 gt work with nvinject dual car 2.0 kext but QE is not enabled.

Can you help me?

Do you know how to make EFI strings? If so check out the link in the post above and follow AquaMac's directions. I would try and steer clear of using any sort of injevt kext for video, audio or whatever. You should be able to get it running with strings alone. It'll take some experimentation. Took me well over 2 weeks to eventually figure it out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a gigabyte 965p-ds3 with Intel core2duo e6400 processor, 7300 gs graphics card. running kalyway 10.5.2 . As my motherboard has only 1 pci-e slot, what pci graphic cards do you recommend in order to get both working, with a total output of 4 displays ( I couldn't find any 6200 pci nearby, as bickyb managed to get a pci-e and a pci (6200) graphics cards both working ) ?

Thank you in advance !

Alex

Yep, I would stick to Nvidia as well for the PCI card. I have not tried another brand. Actually I did try and second brand (ATI) card along with my PCI Express Nvidia card and I could not get it to work.

Accordingly, I am now running an Nvidia PCI Express Card and a PCI card together.

the only advice I could give you, is to stay with nvidia. I never tried a pci card in os x and I don´t recommend things I didn´t try myself :(

• 2 weeks later...

Installing Leopard 10.5.6 on Asus P5N-E SLI:

I write this guide as a result of the work I've done in the past 10 days, which kept me very busy, having come into possession of an Asus P5N-E SLI, I have groped to install 2 graphics cards (Nvidia) with 4 monitors with QE / CI enabled on Leopard 10.5.6.

The guide is divided into 2 steps:

1) The first concerns the installation of Leopard 10.5.6 on Asus P5N-E SLI, operating at 100%, including audio in/out, LAN and Firewire. (obviously you can adapt to motherboards with the same chipset nForce 650i SLI).

2) The second relates more specifically to the recognition of video cards and activate QE/CI.

The second step can also be used by holders of other SLI motherboards, with different chipsets, which have installed a version of Leopard 10.5.6. Also those who have a motherboard with 2 PCI-E slot for graphics cards in crossfire technology, with a version of Leopard 10.5.6 and have the chance to try 2 Nvidia graphics cards, can try Step 2): Any feedback is welcome both positive and negative, because I have not had a chance to do this test.

To this end I have modified NVinject 0.2.1 to work as injector for 2 Nvidia Video Cards supported by kexts (drivers) of 10.5.6. The two Video Cards are supported at 256, 512 and 1024 MB of RAM.

The 2 video cards should be of the same RAM size (2x256 MB or 2x512 MB etc), because the modified NVinject.kext is not yet able to recognize 2 different sizes of RAM. However, is possible using 2 cards with different size of RAM, it will work with the care to use the NVinject for the greater size of RAM (in System Profiler 2 cards will be viewed with eg 512 MB of RAM, while a one is really 512 and the other eg 256, but will operate normally, the endorsement of the System Profiler is purely aesthetic, I tried with the tests and the 2 cards with different RAM works perfectly).

The video card may be the series 7 and 8, I also tried 6600 of the 6 series.

The 2 video cards may not be the same (eg 8600GT + 8500GT etc), obviously will not be connected with the SLI bridge.

The SLI bridge does not affect the functioning in Leopard (and those who serve on the same Windows or Linux PC and wants to use the SLI).

Two words about SLI: the motherboard with SLI have 2 PCI-E slot.

These slots, in the configuration with a single video card on board, they are normal PCI slot with 16-Bit Lane. In the configuration with 2 on board video cards, SLI bridge and entered SLI driver loaded (obviously only in Windows and Linux) second card is not seen, while the first is seen as Lane PCI card with a 16-bit and potential theoretical calculation chart twice the single and double RAM. In fact, the graphics computing power is only 50-60% higher than that of the single card for a number of reasons.

In the configuration with 2 video cards connected in SLI without drivers (eg always Leopard, Linux and Windows without SLI driver loaded) or not connected in SLI (any OS), the 2 cards are seen as 2 separate cards with PCI Lane 8-bit , each with its own allocation of RAM.

What you need:

1) The iso to one of the 3 versions of Leopard 10.5.6 (see Step 1);

2) The compressed folder with everything needed for patch the 3 versions of Leopard for the P5N-E SLI, and patched versions of NVinject kext. Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/199507953/P5N-E_SLI.zip.html

3) Kexthelper7 (present in all three versions of the applications).

You can install multiple versions of Leopard.

the three I chose are: iPC OSx86 PPF5 final; XxX 10.5.6 and iDeneb 1.4.

My BIOS version is: 1101 (work also with 1301)

Step 1) Installation of Leopard 10.5.6 on Asus P5N-E SLI

IPC OSx86 10.5.6:

You can install from DVD IDE or SATA on HD IDE or SATA. Council to start the installation with -v in case of error.

Choices to be made during customization:

□ iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System: all;

□ Language: Your language;

□ Video Drivers: nothing

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 intel AMD SSE2 SSE3:

□ Kernels: 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel;

□ □ Chipset Drivers: AppleNForce ATA nForce Drivers +

JMicronATA for JMicron IDE

□ Ethernet Drivers: nForce Ethernet Driver

□ Fixes and Patches: Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5

□ Alternate Bootloaders: Chamaleon with SMBIOS/DSDT

□ Applications: all.

At the end of installation rebot with –v, and enter in Leopard;

Open Kexthelper7, and install: AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleNForceATA.kext.

Close Kexthelper7.

Install your language package (nothing if your language is English), install ALC883Audio.mpkg and reboot with –v

End of Step 1.

XxX 10.5.6:

You can install from DVD IDE on HD IDE or SATA. Council to start the installation with -v in case of error.

□ Optional Bootloaders: PCEFI_v9.0

□ DSDST Patcher: Yes

□ System kexts:

□ Essential System Kexts: all

□ Optional System Kexts: nothing

□ 10.5.5 Kexts: nothing

□ Optional Kernel:

□ 9.5.0 Voodoo XNU

□ Chipset Support: AppleNForceATA Test + JMicron – JMB360

□ Graphics Drivers: nothing

□ Audio Drivers: nothing

□ Network Drivers: nothing

□ PowerManagement: nothing:

□ Others: nothing

□ Legacy Kexts: nothing

□ Tools: all except Soundflower

At the end of installation rebot with –v, and enter in Leopard;

Open Kexthelper7, and install; seatbelt.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext

Close Kexthelper7

Install your language package (nothing if your language is English), ALC883Audio.mpkg (don't reboot) and nForceEthernetDriver.pkg

Reboot with –v

End of Step 1

iDeneb 1.4:

You can install from DVD IDE on HD IDE or SATA. Council to start the installation with -v in case of error.

□ Language: Your language (nothing if your language is English)

□ Additional fonts : yes

□ X11: yes

□ iDeneb Essential System: all

□ Patches 10.5.6 Ready:

□ Alternate Essentials Patch: nothing

□ Audio: nothing

□ Chipset: AppleNForceATA Test + JMicronATA

□ Kernel: Kernel 9.5.0 Voodoo

□ Network: nothing

□ Fix: AppleSMBIOS (667 or 800 depends by your RAM)

□ System Utilities: nothing

□ Video: nothing

□ Applications: all

□ Netbook: nothing

At the end of installation reboot with – s and at the prompt type:

mount –uw / <enter>

cd /System/Library/Extensions <enter>

rm –rf GeForce.kext <enter>

rm –rf NVDAResman.kext <enter>

rm –rf NVDANV50Hal.kext <enter>

reboot <enter>

and reboot with –v enter in Leopard and:

Open Kexthelper7, and install: GeForce.kext NVDAResman.kext NVDANV50Hal.kext seatbelt.kext AppleDecrypt.kext

Close Kexthelper7 (don't reboot)

Install ALC883Audio.mpkg (don't reboot) and nForceEthernetDriver

Reboot with –v

End of Step 1.

Step 2)

At this point, from one of the 3 versions installed on P5N-E SLI or from any other 10.5.6 version on any motherboard SLI:

For those who have not used the Step 1) and comes to Step 2) from another installation: delete any Efistring in com.apple.Boot.plist and make sure that you have not Nvinject.kext, NVKush.kext, NVDarwin.kext injector or any other (in this case move it to trash)

For everyone: Open Kexthelper7 and install NVinject.kext with the RAM you want from one of the folders in the downloaded compressed file, reboot with- v – f and you have 2 cards running with 4 monitors and QE / CI enabled.

post-191768-1235810758_thumb.jpg

post-191768-1235810775_thumb.jpg

post-191768-1235810786_thumb.jpg

Any feedback or your experience is welcome

If don't works, send me your bios settings, sometimes the problem is in the bios settings.

Giorgio

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This has to be one of the most frustrating issues I've ever had with the OSX86 project. I've been trying to get 2 cards working in my system for over a week. I've tried and combination with the following ingredients:

2x 9500gt

2x 8400gs

2x 8800gts

2x 7300gt.

I've tried different plists, different methods of obtaining the strings. Setting bios to peg2. Basically, anything I could come up with on a google search. The problem is always the same, a black screen after the grey Apple Screen. These are my specs: any help is greatly appreciated:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Q9300

RAM: 4GB OCZ

HD: 320GB SATA WD

P.S.: Using NViject 0.2.0 dual cards works on booting any combination of cards, but I never get QE/CI.

Hello,

This has to be one of the most frustrating issues I've ever had with the OSX86 project. I've been trying to get 2 cards working in my system for over a week. I've tried and combination with the following ingredients:

2x 9500gt

2x 8400gs

2x 8800gts

2x 7300gt.

I've tried different plists, different methods of obtaining the strings. Setting bios to peg2. Basically, anything I could come up with on a google search. The problem is always the same, a black screen after the grey Apple Screen. These are my specs: any help is greatly appreciated:

Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Q9300

RAM: 4GB OCZ

HD: 320GB SATA WD

P.S.: Using NViject 0.2.0 dual cards works on booting any combination of cards, but I never get QE/CI.

Post your com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI strings (not in Hex format). I'll give you a hand.

Post your com.apple.Boot.plist with the EFI strings (not in Hex format). I'll give you a hand.

Thanks for the help. BTW, I'm on vanilla 10.5.7 fresh install (retail). This is the plist of the two 9500. I can use the other cards, but this is my ideal setup. Also, I can get the EFI sting to work for either one in either slot, just not both together. I have used both ./gfxutil and osx86tools to convert this to hex. I have also tried switching the paths in the plist (placing the bottom slot path first etc . .)

Edit: d'oh. forgot attachment.

9500gt_merged.plist.zip

Thanks for the help. BTW, I'm on vanilla 10.5.7 fresh install (retail). This is the plist of the two 9500. I can use the other cards, but this is my ideal setup. Also, I can get the EFI sting to work for either one in either slot, just not both together. I have used both ./gfxutil and osx86tools to convert this to hex. I have also tried switching the paths in the plist (placing the bottom slot path first etc . .)

There's no attachment.