[Guide] Triple or quad monitors with two graphic cards

peach-os

203 posts in this topic

Yes you right I actually did check if it said anything about multiple cards (also I don´t have gfx). Well maby mobos in general defaults to 8 when you have two cards and run osx who knows. The manual for my GA EP45-DS3 says nothing about anything at all regarding this just which slot gets to be the first if you go for peg or peg2. Peg in my case is the 16 and I have two of these. I´m guessing what it says in the SP is pretty much just "comsetics" in this case. When I get the time I will take one card out to test though.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, quick question...

I'm running the ep45-ud3p with a BFG 7900GT 512MB and have had nothing but smooth operating for a few months now. It runs dual DVI displays without a hitch. I'd really like to add a third monitor. I had a brand new Sparkle 8400GS 256MB at the office so I brought it home and dropped it in to the PEG2 spot...

It only registers with these properties:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0291

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

The attached display doesn't receive a signal at all. However when I switch it to PEG1 it drives both of my displays (one with DVI the other with VGA) just as if it was the 7900GT driving them. Actually so much like the 7900GT that System Profiler actually shows it as:

NVIDIA Graphics Engine:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Graphics Engine

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x06e4

ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT

Displays:

2217:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

917W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Rotation: Supported

Which I found a little odd... although I did do a lot of aimless tinkering to get the card working 100% when i first finished this build back in december/january so maybe its something I did.

Anyhow I have played around with setting the BIOS to PEG2, it causes panic during the apple graphic / spinning rectangles screen. I know both of these cards can work, I just don't know how to get there.

I did my install following Stell's Lifehacker guide to the letter and everything works REALLY well. Shutdown, Sleep, ethernet, audio, everything is great, just need to add this third display and its golden.

Thank you guys in advance for your help, it is much much appreciated. And please let me know what further info to provide as I'm sure there is a lot I don't know. ;)

take the first card out of the machine and first get the 8400 workin in the second slot on it´s own.

get the correct NVCAP values and compare them with plist edit pro in your plist file.

Thanks for your help peach. Forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure which plist i need to be looking at. I downloaded plist edit pro, I've got the card running in the PEG2 slot but this how it is recognized:

Display:

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Device ID: 0x06e4

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Main Display: Yes

Should I be looking at my com.apple.boot.plist? Sorry I'm just not very experienced with this stuff. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.. cheers for putting info together on this topic i'd love to get multiple Graphics cards running on my setup..

sorry to be a total beginner but I'm really lost with this guide.. can anyone help me out and explain it in more detail?

I'm running a ED45-UD3P.. I have booted each card individually and have the following information:

9800 GTX+ 512MB in slot 1-PEG

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

192-168-1-2:~ ilz$

7300GT 256MB (out of a mac pro) in Slot 2 PEG 2

192-168-1-4:~ ilz$ gfxutil -f display

DevicePath = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

192-168-1-4:~ ilz$

Thanks

ilzzy

now get the corresponding plist files from efistudio or aquamacs forum (link is in post 183) and follow his guide.

in the plist files you will have to set the correct pci settings that you already have.

next > merge the two plists

> convert it to a hex file

> add it to com.apple.boot.plist

• 3 months later...

Please help me out guys. Im really desperate to get this working. Im only able to get my machine to recognize my cards as 9500gt AFTER i install a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] so I get an /Extra folder. Please help. I want ot know If and what im supposed to do with my dsdt.aml patch. I might just go buy the UD5 since theres a script for the install process with that board. But if I can get my mobo working, that would be alot better. Please guys!

unfortunately never had a chance to try it with an i7 board. my new dual cpu workstation has only a few pcie slots - no place for a second video card. therefore I bought two 27" inch monitors instead of three 22" - what is still a loss of space on the screens, but also very nice :D

I have an I7 930 on a Gigabyte X58 UD3R working with a Palit Nvidia 250 and a MSI 9500GT.

Not a problem on the software side, but I had to cut some plastic on the 250 to be able to fit the two cards on the PCI x16 slots. Perhaps the fan case of the Palit in out of spec.

R.

Two identical cards would be easier, I think. Befor this setup, I had two 7300 GT on the same machine working ok.

I don´t agree........

with the identical card it could be trickier to install. twice I had to use different plists to make it work

My experience is only with two of the same videocards and using a NVinject I modified the NV cap on to suite my specific cards. It worked very good on my old GA EP45-DS3 mobo with the Q6600 cpu but with the new Asus P6T SE and the 930 cpu I´m stuck can only use one card. I´m pretty sure I get somekind of missmatch regarding which of the ports (VGA or DVI) loads as primary cause the displays goes black. But it looks like the os actually is "live" and fired up completely.

The problem is in my opinion is that it´s hard to find info about using two video cards with these new i7 mobos. Some guides say it works if you have this or that video card and it´s hard to understand if they added them to the DSDT.aml you download for that specific guide, and if it is that in itself might make it problematic. The threads can be some 50 + pages and just finding the one you wanna try out take time so sooner or later you just start go through them real quick or you get crazy and bleeding eyes hehe.

Anyway I don´t mean to be ungreatfull to all the good guys making all this happening for us noobs cause with that DSDT.aml stuff I´m totally lost and just don´t have the time to dig in to it to the level where I can make my own.

With the guide I´m on now with the latest (probably best) DSDT.aml (by ifabio) for the Asus P6T SE and the 930 cpu as soon as I replace with a later (probably intended to be better) fakesmc.kext (modified by some Smith guy I think) I loose onboard sound hehe so it´s confusing for sure.

Oh well I´ll might settle with one card but this is going to be my broadcasting computer for my justin.tv channel so it would have been great with at least three displays. It´s really cool to broadcast live I can even broadcast from Logic (plugins and all) live just plug in the guitar and play away right out to the internet. And if I want to even play acoustic setting up Logic for four mics, one for the acoustic git, one for vox and two double sided (8 figured) to pick up the room. Sound is the same in the viewers end as I have myself, really cool time moves on for sure. Imagine what live web tv could do for rockbands/artists giving them a chance to broadcast their gigs live on the internet with good sound and video.

In my experience, the most difficult part with Nvidia cards is to get the NVcap right. Once you get it, the rest is easy.

For example, my Asus 7300Gt cards did not work with all the Nvcaps that were posted at that time , I had to keep modifying it 'till I got the right one.

The same happened recently with my new Palit 250. It will not work with the common nvcap for other 250 cards, not even with the nvcap of another Palit 250 (Palit makes 3 different 250 cards ) I had to manage to arrive to the one that fits the card, with a brute force approach,trying different numbers. Once you get it, everything works in any combination.

R.