8800GS 384mb

InteliMac Pro

13 posts in this topic

it should work since its a g92 core and also apple is actually shipping machines with the 8800gs (new imacs). however i haven't seen a hackintosh user actually use this card yet.

the memory setting in nvinject shouldn't matter, its just a cosmetic thing that shows up in 'about this mac'.

Well I can exchange it that's not a problem, which looks to be a good thing because i can't get OS X to boot with this card. It gets to the end of the boot sequence (in the verbose mode of Leo4all), and then it hangs. If i put the 8600 back in it boots no problem. I'm using the Apple graphics update and NVinject. I happened across a post from Aug '07 that stated Nvidia cards over 256mb need to be flashed to work correctly in OSX. Is that still the case? My 8600 is 256 and works great. The 8800 is 384 and won't boot. Any ideas before i go exchange this thing for a 512mb card that's just gonna cost me more moolah?

EDIT:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ok did a fresh install using Leo4allV3 and left out the graphics drivers altogether and it let me boot into OS X. I could hear the music from the welcome video but couldn't see it. It just went straight to the registration stuff while i listened to the music play. NOW... I just need to figure out what drivers to use. I found another thread that has some suggestions so i'll give that a try and go from there.

EDIT 2:

Well i repaired my permissions, downloaded the latest NVInstaller and viola! Full resolution and CI/QE fully operational. Don't know what was causing the conflict but hot damn I'm a crappy hamper now!

• 2 weeks later...
good to hear, i was 99% sure it would work since its a g92 core and apple is also including the 8800gs in new imacs.

I heard that instead of G92 with 96 stream processor, the imac's 8800GS is in fact a downclocked 8800GT gpu.. which explains the 512RAM it carries...

EDIT: Also heard its a 8800M GTS ...

• 2 months later...

I have the eVGA version with this card and am using it with JaS 10.5.4. Installed NVInstaller and seemingly it's working well...System Profiler recognizes it as having 256MB of RAM, but that's good enough for me I suppose. also all resolutions seem to work fine; however when I set a resolution the screen goes blue and I can't do anything...however, when I reset my system, it's at the resolution that I set it to. any ideas for a solution for the latter problem? thanks!

Here's what i'd try: Delete your video texts and NVinject that you have installed. When you reboot you should be in VESA graphics mode. Download NVInstaller and then install the Vanilla 256 driver. After reboot you should be good to go with full CI/QE and the correct VRAM in System Profiler. That's how i got this card working on a fresh install of Leo4All (except i just didn't install the graphics drivers, i didn't have to delete them).

• 1 month later...

I did it, but didn't deleted any kext. Just runned Nvinject again an selected vanilla. Now system profiler shows me the right vram. Tks!

But I have another problem:

I calibrated my monitor with Color Plus from Colorvision (also known as Spyder or Spyder2 from Pantone). I use to work with Lightroom, Photoshop and Capture One (photography) and is very important to me having a well calibrated monitor. When I go to Sys. Preferences/Display/Color and change the profiles, the screen doesn't change the colors as it should and as use to happen when I do in my other hackintosh using 8600GT. But, in Capture One, the pictures changes the colors and in Lightroom, it's windows changes the colors and the picture seems that don't.

A very strange behavior. Seems that 8800gs doen't have a good relation with ColorSync or something like that.

Somebody can do some tests like that?