[SOLVED] 8600Gt 512MB DVI + VGA Is Dual Monitor Possible?

BiffTheAncient

19 posts in this topic

I have a Galaxy nVidia 8600GT 512Mb with DVI (closest to motherboard) and VGA outputs. I would very much like to get dual monitors going as it is the only thing I miss from the Windows world.

My problem is if I boot up with a monitor attached to the VGA port, at boot, just as the GUI loads, the Monitor on the DVI port goes blank and the monitor on the VGA port comes to life but is iether blank or just shows my Wallpaper with a mouse pointer (System seem to hang). If I unplug the monitor on the VGA port and reboot everything is fine again. If I then plug in the monitor on the VGA port and try "Detect Displays" I get the same result.

Does anyone have dual monitor's working on a similar or the same card? How did you get it to work?

Would editing th NVCAP value help? I have NVCAPMaker but I'm unable to get a ROM Dump from my Card as I have no Floppy and no access to windows. So how would I decide on what value to u

se in the NVCAP field?

Thanks for the help in advance.

UPDATE:

Edited NVCAP string with PListEditPro 1.4 (Free from Apple).

Original NVCAP string in NVinject.kext:

04000000 00000300 0c000007 00000000

Edited to:

04000000 00000010 06000007 00000000

did the usual chown, chmod, delete caches and repair permissions.

Rebooted and display on DVI port worked fine. Connected second Display to VGA port and went into preferences and clicked on "Detect Displays"

Then I did a dance around my living room as the second Display sprang to life :)

• 4 weeks later...

Biff,

I have a card very similar to yours (XFX 8600GT 512MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16814150247) and I'm experiencing the same problem. I've edited the NVCap numerous times with no success. I noticed yours has only 32 characters while it seems that most that I've seen have 40. Is this a mistake? Can you check to see if yours is missing some?

Hi

I have a 8600 M GT (512mb) card... Can you please sned me the good files or tell me how to fix my problem please.

I have a good resolution but when I plug my display I have juste the leopard wallpaper without the dock on the display screen ...

Can you help me please ??

• 4 months later...

This is for people who use EFI-strings to get their video running.

This method actually works with my card, that is an 8600GT 512Mb but with the VGA-out closest to motherboard. I even tried to switch back to NVinject.kext to try your method but it didn't work, I guess because of this difference in the DVI/VGA ports order. So I decided to try it out with efi-strings, here's what I did:

I had OSX86Tools installed so, if you don't have it get it here

http://######.com/osx86tools/

Then I clicked "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". At the "Boot Editor" window that pops up I clicked "GFX strings". In the new window "GFX String Creator" in the drop down menu I selected "Custom Geforce...". This is the important step. When you click custom geforce it let's you choose each option from a list, so I selected the ones that matched my card, including the NVCAP in the correct order, wich for my card is VGA / DVI (where the first one is the one closest to motherboard).

Then finally on the "Boot Editor" window I clicked on the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist".

That's it. Rebooted and got video through DVI output after some months getting only VGA out.

If you have NVinject.kext in your extensions remove it from there. And delete the Extensions.mkext as well.

For this to work you must have EFI installed.

Hope it helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

This method actually works with my card, that is an 8600GT 512Mb but with the VGA-out closest to motherboard. I even tried to switch back to NVinject.kext to try your method but it didn't work, I guess because of this difference in the DVI/VGA ports order. So I decided to try it out with efi-strings, here's what I did:

Then I clicked "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". At the "Boot Editor" window that pops up I clicked "GFX strings". In the new window "GFX String Creator" in the drop down menu I selected "Custom Geforce...". This is the important step. When you click custom geforce it let's you choose each option from a list, so I selected the ones that matched my card, including the NVCAP in the correct order, wich for my card is VGA / DVI (where the first one is the one closest to motherboard).

Then finally on the "Boot Editor" window I clicked on the "Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist".

That's it. Rebooted and got video through DVI output after some months getting only VGA out.

If you have NVinject.kext in your extensions remove it from there. And delete the Extensions.mkext as well.

Hope it helps someone.

:) You are The Man!!!

I Love You!!!

Finally i have dual!!!!!!!!

My method just a little bit different, i built NVcap with the GFstring Creator, i copy the nvcap data and i past it in nVinjet.kext with plist editor pro!

Im really happy!!!

Many thanks!!!

Logreco

• 3 weeks later...

Hope it helps someone.

Great!!!!!!! :D

Thank you man. Now i have DVI too!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished installing IPC on a q6600 dfi lantparty jr p45 t2rs using an 8600gt zotac 256 ddr2 card using this method with a few preparations.

1. Had to install the leopard graphics update 1 files using pacifist.

2. Used nvdarwin for an injector (tried nvkush but somehow could not reuse it after crashing the first few installs)

3. Only plugged 1 monitor using the vga port and only connected a monitor to both dvi and vga after all the hacks and installations.

Thanks to the thread starter and to all those who are continuously improving our osx experience here in insanelymac.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it helps someone.

Thank you! Been tearing my hair out! It works!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it helps someone.

Awesome!!! I spent almost a whole night on 3 issues: graphics (no hw acceleration), sound (no sound) and firewire (interface not detected).

Thanks to you I now have a full acceleration on my ASUS 8600GT Silent 512MB!

Found another post here that helped me getting sound output (albeit only in stereo, but that's as good as it gets with AD1988a it seems). Still no luck with firewire though.. guess I'll have to use USB instead.

You made my day!! Thanks.

Hello people, I have a notebook Gateway p7805u and it has a GeForce 9800M GTS.

The laptop displays works properly, but when I connect a external LCD by VGA and detect it or restart, both displays become black. So I haven't seen anything yet on my LCD.

How to enable this port? Thank you!

Gaston

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks fot the guide,is solved my problem with a 8600GT.The only problem is that it killed my Chameleon 2.o install someway,now I'm back to DVD boot onlly, but the two monitors are ok,one DVI one VGA. Funny enough I did set the VGA/DVI order(VGA is closest to MB) and that seems to force me to use VGA as main,so I have to have both on,can't use DVI only...but it fine for now...

Andre ;)

• 9 months later...

Hi guys. I'm using a nvidia 8600GT 512 VGA+DVI, with one LCD monitor on vga and one LCD tv on DVD - HDMI. If I boot with the tv attached, I get both the monitor (it says Monitor going to sleep) and the tv black and nothing shows up after the apple boot logo. If I remove the tv, everything is fine, the monitor is working perfectly. I tried with only the tv attached, but it's the same as if both displays were connected. So I guess Leo doesn't like DVI - HDMI connection.

What can I do? I've installed nvinject (for 512MB), but I've tried with others too (darwin, enabler, etc.). It won't work.

And please don't say efi strings, as I don't have the slightest clue how to use this kind of emulation, and the efi bootloader almost crashed my bios, so that's a no go for me.

Thank you.

P.S. I've also tried connecting the tv AFTER I've booted in Leo. This gets the monitor to sleep, and the "image" moves to the tv, but everything's frozen and I have to restart.

• 1 year later...

Hope it helps someone.

More love for plprado - fixed my monitors and made my day, thanks.