OpenSUSE 11.0 Beta 2 is cool!

snakeeyes

19 posts in this topic

This is not trying to start a flame war, but I don't understand all the people who say KDE looks professional.

It looks like a Little Tikes version of Windows XP Fischer Price scheme. For all you who don't know, Little Tikes is a cheaper brand of little kids toys like Fischer Price makes.

He's probably converted to Ubuntu thats why and not told us about it. :)

Hell would freeze over first...

He's probably converted to Ubuntu thats why and not told us about it. :blink:

Now what old-school Unix guy in his right mind would use Ubuntu when he could use the REAL Debian? :rolleyes:

This is not trying to start a flame war, but I don't understand all the people who say KDE looks professional.

It looks like a Little Tikes version of Windows XP Fischer Price scheme. For all you who don't know, Little Tikes is a cheaper brand of little kids toys like Fischer Price makes.

Do you mean KDE's default Oxygen theme, or do you mean the SUSE theme that Novell puts on all their Linux distributions?

Now what old-school Unix guy in his right mind would use Ubuntu when he could use the REAL Debian? :blink:

Do you mean KDE's default Oxygen theme, or do you mean the SUSE theme that Novell puts on all their Linux distributions?

Both, but in different ways.

The SUSE theme looks more playschoolish like Windows Xp. All shiny, and toy like.

Then the default Oxygen theme, has that same look in places, but then has a block style digital clock by default. That looks hideous. It seems it lacks consistency.

I just think KDE is bloated (in terms of actual space consumed on the desktop) and very poorly though out.

But that is merely my opinion...

Both, but in different ways.

The SUSE theme looks more playschoolish like Windows Xp. All shiny, and toy like.

I believe that's intentional. Novell is trying to remove the scary factor from Linux. SUSE has always had the ridiculous green lizard thing going.

Then the default Oxygen theme, has that same look in places, but then has a block style digital clock by default. That looks hideous. It seems it lacks consistency.

I just think KDE is bloated (in terms of actual space consumed on the desktop) and very poorly though out.

KDE has always been about granular control and customization. There are TONS of themes out there for KDE 3. KDE 4 will eventually have the large theme selection that KDE 3 does, but until then, I'm afraid it's stuck the way it is. It's just the result of being less than a year old. The SUSE theme is actually the first real good theme job on KDE 4. The ridiculous analog clock is a common criticism of KDE 4. Just give it time (or do like me and wait until KDE 4.1 :glare:).

As for bloat, KDE is far from it. High performance has always been one of the primary goals of the KDE team.

I don't think its a lizard, I have heard its a chameleon or something. The SUSE themes r one of the few that actually look decent by default, the only other distros which look good by default r mandriva, sabayon, pclinuxos, dream linux.

I don't think its a lizard, I have heard its a chameleon or something.

Probably is. I'm an engineer, not a biologist, so cut me some slack. :)

The SUSE themes r one of the few that actually look decent by default, the only other distros which look good by default r mandriva, sabayon, pclinuxos, dream linux.

Yeah, I personally think that poorly designed or plain ugly themes have always been Linux' Achilles's heel. Many people just don't want to be bothered changing the default theme, or won't look hard enough to. Novell has done an amazing job overcoming that obstacle.

Looks like Windows with some tweaks to me .. Nothing new

See, that is the exact stereo type I don't understand. I think it looks nothing like Windows.

I mean the taskbar is twice the size as windows by default (along with all the icons and clock within it). Not to mention, Windows has more consistency with its fonts, layouts, and overall styling of the operating system. If anything, I would say Gnome looks more like Windows. Yes, I know Windows does not have a bar on the top and bottom, but with very minor customizations, it can look exactly like Windows at first glance. The menus have almost the same concept, and Gnome seems more consistent and better thought out.

Just my opinion though.

I believe that's the goal: to have a UI that's similar to what everyone already knows. Everyone expects the clock to be in the lower-right, the apps menu in the lower-left, and icons in the upper-left. Trying to have the look of "anything but Windows" is one of the biggest things that scares people away from Linux.

If u mean suse 10.3 looks like windows then u should compare suse's default looks with xp's. Xp looks more cartoonish where as suse's title bar looks a bit more professional.I just found out beta 2 will read the installation options for those who r visually impaired or something like that, check out suse's latest new letter, its on that.

Exactly ;) The only reason why I didn't announce openSUSE 11 Beta 2 is that I have some doubts about the usefulness of announcing every single development release.

Now what old-school Unix guy in his right mind would use Ubuntu when he could use the REAL Debian? :(

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. Always ask for the original. Don't trust imitations :D

And BTW, InorganicMatter, I love your sig.

From DistroWatch Weekly:

Another distribution that is counting days until its final release is openSUSE. With just 38 days to go until the long-awaited version 11.0 hits the download mirrors, details about various new features and updates keep emerging on openSUSE blogs. Stephan Binner in Qt Package Manager Improvements: "Just want to point out four improvements of the YaST Qt package selector in the upcoming openSUSE 11.0 that were missing too long, much requested (at least by me) and now added. The first screenshot shows the new special package groups 'Suggested packages' and 'Recommended packages' to list packages which enhance your installed packages. Also the strange 'zzz All' package group of previous releases is renamed to 'All packages' and visible without endless scrolling. On the second screenshot you can see the new '@System' meta repository to list all installed packages only. And note the new secondary filter 'Unmaintained packages' to detect which packages are not contained in your activated repositories."

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3460

Also from the same author - a new KDE Four Live, featuring the latest KDE 4.0.4.

http://home.kde.org/~binner/kde-four-live/

Good news as usual from the opensuse side :)

Can't wait to see Beta 3 though.

Every Linux user I know is dying to use Suse 11, seriously I can't ait for the final release. :D

Beta 3 could be available as early as tonight, at least as a YaST update.

Also, one can download KDE4.1 Alpha 1 Live, did you notice that?