Parallels Server 4 success!

11 posts in this topic

a screenshot for the curious below....

Also have a few observations for you:

- Parallels emulates a Macbook 1,1 (which is interesting given that Apple don't support OS X on laptops) but with 4 RAM slots.

- Leopard Client won't boot from DVD.

- I'm going to try and boot Leopard Client and then both Tigers from a hard drive partition.....

post-65366-1209767140_thumb.png

cheers

few more observations

- the VM has NO USB or Firewire controllers (Parallels must do something to spoof the installer like PearPC)

- no drag and drop support from host to guest

- parallels tools for OS X include video and time synchronisation (please note screen size cant be dynamically adjusted like Windows clients)

- virtual machine updated to 10.5.2 no problem

- the virtual OS X install detects if your host has the same serial number and stops server functionality (as with any two installs of OS X Server one one network)

- obviously no hardware 3D acceleration

- cant use real hard disks (at least in this beta)

- holding down option/alt brings up the darwin boot menu for all drives

note to admins, all software is legally owned by me/I didnt sign an NDA

cheers

few more observations

- the VM has NO USB or Firewire controllers (Parallels must do something to spoof the installer like PearPC)

- no drag and drop support from host to guest

- parallels tools for OS X include video and time synchronisation (please note screen size cant be dynamically adjusted like Windows clients)

- virtual machine updated to 10.5.2 no problem

- the virtual OS X install detects if your host has the same serial number and stops server functionality (as with any two installs of OS X Server one one network)

- cant use real hard disks (at least in this beta)

- holding down option/alt brings up the darwin boot menu for all drives

I find the no USB/Firewire thing funny. I'm going to look into this too actually, and see how this installs. Also, don't worry, the admins won't PWN you for a screenshot and an explanation. :blink:

Install Mac OS X Server on your computer is it's not already done, and download parallels server 3.0 Beta 4 from parallels's website and that it ...

@Embio : Is mac os x server working flawlessly on parallels, is it as fast as a virtualized windows XP could be ??

thx :o

So video is detected as VESA?

:o

@jthemovie - indeed, as fast as XP -_- the odd slowdown, logins take 30 seconds or more.

@macgirl - I'll have to check this later, the hard drive with the OS X Server install isn't with me at the minute

no luck with Tiger or Tiger Server. I installed it from the working Leopard Server install to a new virtual drive, and it wasn't recognised as a bootable drive by the darwin bootloader (I tried repairing the disc with the Leopard install) I'll try Leopard Client later.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, if you have any more questions then fire away and I'll see what I can do :D

If this is what Parallels can come up with, I cannot wait to see VMware's response :D

all worked fine in beta1 of ther server, just too slow, even dvd worked :(

and it's slow because in osx, kernel memory isn't mapped to application memory, which causes often context switching == sloooowww with intel vt-x