Dual Core vs Quad Core?

20 posts in this topic

Alright folks, I'm getting serious about building a permanent Hackintosh workstation for graphics and video editing. (Adobe CS3, FCP and such).

The question is should I go with a dual core processor (E8400) or a quad core (Q6700)?

Today, under windows most applications don't take advantage of 4 cores, besides video rendering and a few select things here and there. The question is, does osx86 and osx applications make full use of 4 cores, or is it in the same boat as Windows? I mean, Mac Pro, 8 cores, it should make full use of 4 cores in a hackintosh, no?

Then just a side question, what would be a good quad core ASUS motherboard?

And hey, I apologize if this has been asked before. The search hasn't proved too useful.

So I hear quad core's the way to go. Now, another question: should I go with the Q6600 or with the Q6700? Currently my budget favors the Q6600 more, but I'm thinking about doing some mild overclocking to about 3.2ghz or in that neighborhood. And I'm looking to keep things quiet and cool. Which processor is better in the said scenario?

Quad Core vs Dual Core, interesting read even though it dates back to last September.

second vote for the 6600 since you do media work (video editing/photoshopping).

I've overclocked mine to 3 ghz with no problem (slight uptick in voltage). Depending on the temp of my room, but average load temp range from 35 - 42 degrees celsius. max load gets about 55 celsius but i also have a good aftermarket cooler (refer to sig).

Sweet beans then!

This is what I'm thinking for my mac setup:

Intel Q6600

ASUS P5W DH

EVGA GeForce 7300GT 256mb

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130025)

Does this look good? I think it will be pretty compatible with osx86. What about video card? I completely fail at video cards. Again, I'm basically going to be doing heavy graphics and video editing. All my gaming is done on a 360, so I think this card will suit me well. Maybe. Any other suggestions?

I know computers pretty well, but I'm extremely lazy, so I'm looking for a quick build, quick install and operational in a short amount of time. :(

Sweet beans then!

This is what I'm thinking for my mac setup:

Intel Q6600

ASUS P5W DH

EVGA GeForce 7300GT 256mb

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130025)

Does this look good? I think it will be pretty compatible with osx86. What about video card? I completely fail at video cards. Again, I'm basically going to be doing heavy graphics and video editing. All my gaming is done on a 360, so I think this card will suit me well. Maybe. Any other suggestions?

I know computers pretty well, but I'm extremely lazy, so I'm looking for a quick build, quick install and operational in a short amount of time. ;)

Your system seems pretty solid. If your parts are 100% compatible according to the Wiki it should be gold.

About the video card, I got an ATI 3870 since it was only 20 dollars more than a 8600 and its benchmarks was more similar to a slower 8800, but then I do game a little bit. But otherwise, I think that your video card won't really play any role in the look of your editing/photoshop work.

How much memory are you putting in there? You might want to check if your mobo tends to kernel panics with 4GB or more. Mine does esp with MacTheRipper so I'm down to two gigs until I can solve the problem :(

What distro are you going to use? I used the newest Kalyway 10.5.2 with incredible success, but keep in mind your DVD drive will have to be SATA for installation. I also suggest getting a retail DVD drive, since my OEM sata drive is stuck on another region and can't play most of my movies. Luckily I had a Pioneer (DVD-drive brand with best support for mac) IDE that I could use after installation.

Yeah, I have 4gb. I was gonna do some research on the memory before jumping into this. I'm going to be using the Kalway 10.5.2 install on a SATA drive, or an IDE if that doesn't work.

So you're saying that the 4gb issue is related to the motherboard as well?

that's my suspicion but I could be wrong. have been researching on it but it's hard to pinpoint the cause. I also heard that you have to turn off a setting in BIOS regarding memory remapping. Will try that tonight after I get off work (as well as tinker around with some overclock settings using this guide: How to overclock Quad Cores)

I'd suggest going all SATA if you can, it seems to work the best (and has the best cable management since the IDE cable is so freaking huge)

The P5W DH Deluxe is an awesome board! I have 4gb and a E6300 in it and it runs rock solid! I installed from the flat image, but I hear Leo4All, and kalyway work best. I did have the Q6600 in it, but I sold that to a friend and opted to OC my E6300.

I would go with the 8600 video card if you are going to be using FCP or motion they are so cheap now $69, and work well with the "Pro Applications" that use Core Image Effects. The GPU will help the CPU render in those Aps. The 8600 128MB is the video card used in the Macbook Pro's. Get the 256MB or 512 versions.

I have the xfx 8600 and it works with Apple's vanilla driver in the Leopard Graphics update in 10.5.2.

It also does ok with Gaming. I'm running crysis.

Oh ya - and For video editing - especially compressing video, you will use all cores.

Chris

Mmkay, I have read some recent stuff that GPU is quite important for a good number of things. So I'll probably lean with the 8600 if you say you've had good luck with it. I actually have a 7300LE lying around, so I'll probably build my setup with that, and then upgrade to the 8600 when things are running well.