MacBook or iMac Logicboard in a G5 enclosure

Huibu

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I would like to put a MacBook, MacBook Pro or Intel iMac Logicboard in a G5 enclosure. Do you have any advice or suggestions about it. What about the Power? Is it possible to connect more than one SATA HD to the Logicboard. Any help is welcome! :(

do your own research :(

if you wanna get a mac pro logic board there is plenty of support but i don't believe anyone is using an imac/macbook logic board. (also it wouldn't be worth extra work because you might as well just buy an imac/macbook, because 1. price would be same or more 2. No real performance increase.)

Because of having a 100% Apple compatible. I have a MacBook and iMac Logicboard. Beside this you can have a second or third FireWire-Drive installed in the case and get rid of the external HD. I think these are pretty good arguments. I thought maybe someone else had the same idee and we can share possibilitys. :lol:

Ive had the same idea. i just want a server in my house to use my other bigger harddisks and save my macbook from having to be on all the time downloading or on skype. id build a hackintosh but i if there is a mac alternative reasonably priced id prefer to go for it by far. i found a last generation imac logicboard and i thought about buying it but it was without power supply and other cables and ideally id like to be able to run it from the original video port but what little research ive done into using the original one didnt take me very far.

in my case id much prefer to build a chop-shop mac than to buy an old mac mini (which i also considered) because of the terrific benefit of having a video card of better quality and i couldnt care less what the outside looks like. though given the option id put it in a cool case. made from lego or an old fashion radio like ive seen on the net.

i think youve got a good idea. whod buy a mac pro logicboard with all of the expense youd have if all you want is a semi basic computer.

good luck. i hope you find out something worth learning and come back and teach me.

It could be done, but you might need some tools to mod the case for the mobo from a iMac/MacBook. You would probally have to drill custom holes for the mobo into the G5 Case since they don't follow any sort of ATX/Mini-ATX/Micro-ATX/BTX/etc. standard. Also the powersupply could be a bit of an issue, but you would probally be able to use the one from the the iMac/MacBook, maybe you could modify it and put it inside the case and run a wire out the back through a whole.

Other issues:

-Do iMac/MacBook mobo's have additional SATA ports for additional drives?

-Hooking up the power button could be an issue, if the G5 case uses different connections than an iMac/etc.

mobo = motherboard, but you probally knew that, just in case you didnt though...