Leopard on a Shuttle K45 - MiniHack

orsodimare

267 posts in this topic

Can anyone with a K48 confirm whether it supports dual monitors in OS X or not?

Confirmed. Running a 15" Dell on VGA (1280x1024) and a 24" Acer on DVI (1920x1200).

Mirror Displays also confirmed working, although it looks weird on the 24" due to the native resolution being far higher.

i got the network problem

i have the Shuttle K45 on board 8056 lan port.

the kext seems install correctly, but only work about 5-10 mins at the 1st boot. then no response from internet.

when i checked at the network options it showed self assigned IP.

so i must shut it down totally.... and turn it back on again, then it will work without any problems.

everyday i need to do the same process when i need to use my hackintosh online.

i installed Leopard retail 10.5.6 direct updated to 10.5.7 from apple with Chameleon 2.0.

can anyone help please!!!!

My retail install is not working when I upgrade to 10.5.7 - the video is all jacked up and doesn't display anything but grey boxes (mouse works).

I'm installing using boot132 generic and a retail OSX disc (10.5.6). Once it installs and I reboot, I install Chameleon 2.0 and the kext from post 183: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1033031

I then reboot, and everything works normally. Video displays at 1920x1200, network works, etc. When I do an Apple Software Update, I select all of them:

iLife Support

Quicktime

iTunes Update

OSX Update 10.5.7

There are also a couple more, but they are unrelated to OSX.

After the updates install, I reboot and video does not work anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

10.5.8 WORKS

just re-did a clean install retail 10.5.4 combo update to 10.5.8, all seems to work well

it's very clean, in the sense that I didn't modify anything in the system itself, all is done from the chameleon 2.0 RC2 Extra folder at the root of the drive

QUICK HOW TO: (using a SATA disk ,IDE shouldn't give you to much trouble, if I remember right it works natively anyway)

basically all you have to do is boot using boot132 or grubdfe

then boot on the retail disk (mine was 10.5.4) and install it

install chameleon 2 RC2, use the installer version

then empty the content of the Extra folder at the root of your system drive, except for the "Themes" folder

and replace it with the content of mine

K45___K48_Extra_10.5.8.zip

(sorry I had to compress it twice to fit under the 2MB upload limit)

sleep may not work, never did with the K45 for me, I've tried many ways

but graphic acceleration works

sound and mic works too

ethernet works

bonjour seems to work

I suppose that's what most of us need

haven't tried time machine, should work, if not try the EFI string "time machine fix" from uinstaller

since I'm not touching the system, an update to 10.5.9 if it ever exit should be smooth...

did anyone try Snowleopard 10.6 on K45???

trying... without success so far

I have a problem with IOATAFamily.kext and I think more precisely AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (contained inside IOATAFamily.kext), it Kernel Panic during boot

EDIT: SNOW LEOPARD WORKS, well I'm able to boot the install DVD

All you need is to disable IDE in bios, so if you use an IDE drive you are stuck with Leo for now

(I have sata in forcegen I, but I don't think that matters...)

the only kext I have are :

fakesmc, NullCPUPowerManagement, openhaltrestart

use the generic guide for snow leo, you'll find those download link to those kext too

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

and you need a dsdt with video fix in it, search through this shuttle thread you'll find it

but I don't know about sound or ethernet yet

as soon as I have compiled everything I'll create a thread in the 10.6 install section

edit: posting from snow leopard

got the ethernet to work used the kext ionetworkingfamily, from my shuttle pack just above

sound is not working....

only 32bit snow leo will work if you use the Leopard kext for ethernet

edit:

created a topic in the Snow Leopard section

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1257769

Over the weekend I tried, with some success in installing Snow Leopard on my K45.

The PATA thing drove me crazy for awhile, as I had the install image on a pata drive for awhile. Turning PATA off and using a USB stick makes things work a bit better...

I've been using Chameleon RC3 as a bootloader, and managed to get the DVD installed and the system booting with just Disabler and fakesmc. No video/sound/ethernet though with just that, though.

Ethernet:

Eliade's kext (and some various others) didn't work, either loaded from the bootloader or in /S/L/E. I eventually got it working with this driver (post #6):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181668

Sound:

Haven't played much with it. Don't care too much at this point.

Video:

I've tried Eliade's DSDT (KPs) and hacking my own generated one (either KPs or doesn't do anything)

I'm wondering if I'm being hit with the -x32 vs arch=i386 bug with chameleon as well. I could have sworn there's a difference in booting regular vs -x32, but perhaps not.

Next, I think I'm going to restore the vanilla kexts in /S/L/E and try testing with chameleon/arch options/etc/kext caches/etc.

3GB (1GB+2GB) of ram seems to be working well in my k45

Hi Eliade

Can you please give me your brand/range of ram and how you set it ?

Do you, or other let me know, try 4Gb (2+2) ? (brand:type would be helpfull as teh K45 seems to like only some)

As you have now switch to Snow Leopard (without IDE and Sound it seems), did the 3GB (or 4Gb) continue to work well ?

Thank you for your help (and sorry my english is not as good as I'd like it to be)

P.S. If anyone as experimented with the the new K45se (I plan to buy one) it would be interesting to know (I think it's the same motherboard and others so it should be fine too).

• 1 month later...
10.5.8 WORKS

just re-did a clean install retail 10.5.4 combo update to 10.5.8, all seems to work well

it's very clean, in the sense that I didn't modify anything in the system itself, all is done from the chameleon 2.0 RC2 Extra folder at the root of the drive

Thanks a lot for the links and howto. I've installed 10.5.8 (retail + combo update) on a K45 following your howto, everything works (including 1920x1200 display), except ethernet (as if no cable connected, and i've tested with Linux to be sure the hardware works). Any tip to where to investigate ? NB i've no previous experience with hackintoshing.

Thanks a lot for the links and howto. I've installed 10.5.8 (retail + combo update) on a K45 following your howto, everything works (including 1920x1200 display), except ethernet (as if no cable connected, and i've tested with Linux to be sure the hardware works). Any tip to where to investigate ? NB i've no previous experience with hackintoshing.

SNOW LEOPARD WORKS EVEN BETTER

link is in my signature

as for 10.5.8, a full shutdown sometime fix that kind of problem... or even unplugging the power supply for 20seconds

but I really suggest you go on snow leo

There's no signature with a link.

I used these directions to get Leopard working: http://yoni.homeserver.com/k45/k45/Home.html

I wish there was an easy way to get Snow Leopard working as well on my K45.

I just downloaded Rebel EFI from Psystar, and I might give that a try.

strange that you don't see my signature, where you logged in when you looked... probably not...

anyway it's here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1257769

SNOW LEOPARD WORKS EVEN BETTER

link is in my signature

as for 10.5.8, a full shutdown sometime fix that kind of problem... or even unplugging the power supply for 20seconds

but I really suggest you go on snow leo

Well, that's an option if 10.5 network doesn't work, but i don't have a retail snow leopard disk. I did a full shutdown (and unplugging to change noisy fan) already, even reinstalled from scratch to be sure.

Anything else to check (log files, BIOS, ...) ?

Well, that's an option if 10.5 network doesn't work, but i don't have a retail snow leopard disk. I did a full shutdown (and unplugging to change noisy fan) already, even reinstalled from scratch to be sure.

Anything else to check (log files, BIOS, ...) ?

Being unable to make the network on 10.5.8 i've followed you advice and jumped to SL. I must says it indeed works 100% (including sleep). That's brilliant. Thanks again! Out of curiosity, would the install method work with Chameleon RC3 without remplacing the boot file ?

Being unable to make the network on 10.5.8 i've followed you advice and jumped to SL. I must says it indeed works 100% (including sleep). That's brilliant. Thanks again! Out of curiosity, would the install method work with Chameleon RC3 without remplacing the boot file ?

go to my snow leo thread if you have question I really don't come here often...

yes the rc3 boot file is compatible with snow leo

but I like having an installer, it's much faster

rc3 does not have an installer (unless them created on in the last few days)

• 2 years later...