Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000fe110

Using ACPI RSDP revision 2 found at 0x000fe020

Hey we are going backwards! -> , restarting timing

calibation failed with 2 attempts

What they hell is going on?

Anyone else seen this?

• 1 month later...

Im having the same issue, how did you get passed that error?

EFI enhanced bootloader build: ToH

Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000f7b50

Using ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000fc370

calibration failed with 2 attempts

(flashing cursor)_

my system specs:

ACPI x86-based PC

CPU: DualCore intel Pentium D 930, 3000 Mhz (15x200) SSE3 compatible

Motherboard: MSI P6NGM (MS-7366) Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 7100-630i

RAM: 4090MB

Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT (512MB)

SONY DVD-RW

Maxtor 100 GB IDE

Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Thanks for your time!!!!

I had this problem this morning, and my first idea was to look at the time in my Bios settings.

I found out the clock was off by 4 hours (maybe when i changed the time from cali to Boston?)

So i changed it back and everything was A OK!

Hope this helps other ppl!

I already tried updating the BIOS but its still the same, i think that it only happens to a very minimal part of users out there, that is why i have not found any answers. I hope someone someday will be able to help us.

Thanks!

I must join you, I have the same error. It occures after booting DVD. I tried to flash BIOS but I haven't been succesfull. Si I do not know what to do. It is any chance that it will be solved in next version?

My specs: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+, Motherboard Winfast K8T890M2AA, 2 GB RAM, ATI X1650XT, HDD 160GB SATA, DVD-RW (IDE)

Yes it occures after booting DVD before starting installation. I somewhere read that it is caused by unsupported processor. But I think it is nonsense, because on my brother's computer it goes right and he has Athlon X2 4000+. Other idea says it can be caused by unsupported chipset. I think it is caused by our BIOS. There is something what OSX86 doesn't like :-)

I have the same issue. Here's a printout of the kernel panic I get from it:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x001A7B6A): "timeRDTSC() calibation failed with 2 attemps\n"@/Volumes/disk1s2/leo_xnu/xnu-1228/osfmk/i386/rtclock.c:343
  Debugger called: <panic>
  Backtrace:

BSD processed name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
  Not yet set

Kernel version:
  Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar  2 00:35:29 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Personally for me, sometimes this happens, and sometimes the computer just restarts mid-boot without warning.

It seems to me that, as someone hinted in another thread, that it may be a FSB or clocking issue (hence the rtclock.c class that crashes?). Please help us, tech gurus!

I think there is no actual solution. I think it is hardware problem and we must wait for patch (and who knows when it will be).

MY 2cents:

in system preferences - DATE AND TIME: turn off "set date & time automatically".

This, by-the-way, also solves the problem of OSX screwing up the time in Windoze.

I had the "going backwards" error once on the Sony SZ laptop, but never again since I tweaked this setting.

onward thu the fog, ninetto

Oh, thank you. But it is solution for that who have installed the system and now it ocurres. But I am not able to install it, because after inserting dvd and booting for instalation it show me that message (Hey, we are going backwards, bla bla). I tried parameters: -v -x and stuffs like that, but nothing helped. So I have given it up for this time.

I would try reinstalling just EFI manually... there are guides on how to do this.

Also check your BIOS settings, you are surely correct suspecting this might be the key. Have you deactivated USB legacy and disabled "memory remap" and enabled "no-execute memory protect" ??

What verbose ("-v") error reports are you getting?

good luck, ninetto

Oh, yeah! We were wrong guys. No time issues, but FSB problem. I tried to set up my FSB from 200 to 205 Mhz (but for 201,202,203,204 MHz it didn't work) and it continued in booting ... but now I have problem with error: stay waiting on root device. That means I am without luck, because I have unsupported someting.

So good luck to others!

This is due to timing issues! When the kernel starts up it tries to figure out how much the time stamp counter increments in 1/20 of a second. It reads the counter once and then it reads it later, if that value is lesser than what is expected this happens (the time stamp counter is supposed to count at a set value per second). This routine exists in pre leopard kernels, but i think it is also used in some recompiled kernels (for speedstep and similar). The reason why you get bogus reading could be because of bios bug, hw speedstepping, processor lapping or your tsc is not stable... etc.

• 1 month later...

I've also been having this issue on all my hackintoshes since the beginning of the summer (all of them have been working without problems since the days of 10.4.4). What's weird is that the problem is slightly different on each of the three computers. On my P5W DH (Core2), the error is very rare, and a reboot always takes care of it. On my Aspire 5570Z (Core), it's a bit more frequent, and sometimes requires a few reboots. Finally my P5L-MX (Pentium D) boots about 1/3 of the time, sometimes i get the 'backwards' error and sometimes a reboot right after the darwin bootloader countdown.

I'm also having this problem. There seems to be no conistent reason, sometimes it takes 1 reboot, sometimes 10 or more. I think it's safe to say that it is definitely a timing issue. Seems like randomly the time stamp readings will be sufficent and Leopard will boot. Otherwise it comes up with the "going backwards" error. It's a pretty annoying problem, especially considering my Leopard install works great once it gets past this error every so often.

It doesn't seem like this is too common of a problem, as there is a definite lack of information on this problem. Now that we know WHAT is happening, hopefully we can finally figure out a way to get a consistent time stamp counter reading.

I want to bring up another time issue that I think may be related. My clock in OSX is running noticeably slow. I can sync the time and then the time slowly falls back. The seconds definitely take longer than a second. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, it could be another symptom of whatever is causing the time check to be wonky on boot.

Here's my setup:

Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.3 with combo update (EFIv8 + Vanilla kernel)

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz Q6600

Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800

Grahphics: GeForce 8800GT 512MB

HDD: 250GB SATA / 80GB SATA

• 4 weeks later...

I got this same error and I was pretty much thinking I was ish outta luck...

I checked everything mentioned here, my time was correct, etc. etc.

The revision is two years old but Asus hasn't put anything else out since.

So I went into my bios just to see if changing anything would make a difference.

Nothing worked... and then I'm staring at the overclocking feature within Jumperless configuration that I've seen a lot of Asus boards have. I made a joke in my head, like 'haha if there's a timing issue then maybe if I speed up the clock!' So I overclocked my cpu 3%, saved it and reboot. I'm in my head, haha, yea right this won't work...Pfft!

The damn thing gets past that error and I'm writing you with it installed.

I've check it a bunch of times, so I guess its not a fluke. Maybe I just got lucky, but if you have the feature on your bios too-it might be worth a try.

Spec Poop:

Chip-Amd Athlon Xp 64 3400+

Mobo-Asus 8VE-SE

HDD-Segate Sata 250- Maxtor Sata 160)

Ram-Kingston-1 Gig DDR)

Video- Geforce 5200

For the Jumperless Config...I set mine to "Ai Overclock" "3%"

I'll cross my fingers for ya if you try it.

post-278437-1219786412_thumb.jpg

In my laptop Acer 4320 (more details in signature) with the update to 10.5.3 & 10.5.4 i has same error, then i switched back (restore my previous backup) to 10.5.2 and all go fine.

Never overclocked, none changes except the update, then my conclusion is at least in my case: some change in kernel or system extension of 10.5.3/4 is the problem. What file is ? I unknow.