[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

+1

None of these 10.5.x ATI drivers work with 10.6.5

I have hd 3600 and had no joy with any of them for the last two weeks.

Gave up in the end and got an nvidia gt 240 in end -- everything just works period (as do most nVidia cards -- just like on Windows).

OP needs to update his post to state that this topic only applies to Leopard and not Snow Leopard so people do not waste their time wading through all the pages raising hope and finding nothing for HD 3X series cards that fully work.

• 1 month later...
I got full QE/QC with my card ATI HD 3870 on Leopard 10.5.8

1. Boot safe mode with -x

2. Repair disk permission

3. Remove all kext ATI and Geforce and Natit

4. Install this pkg

5.Restart in safemode and reload kext with -x -f

5. Restart in safemode with -x

6. Restart normal then get full QC/ QE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4yc9hqmc9bww777

let try with another ATI Radeo HD.

It did not work with me, in fact after I instaled it, the pc did not even start booting (ati hd3870)

I got full QE/QC with my card ATI HD 3870 on Leopard 10.5.8

1. Boot safe mode with -x

2. Repair disk permission

3. Remove all kext ATI and Geforce and Natit

4. Install this pkg

5.Restart in safemode and reload kext with -x -f

5. Restart in safemode with -x

6. Restart normal then get full QC/ QE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4yc9hqmc9bww777

let try with another ATI Radeo HD.

you're the best man. i tried everything but this solutions works great. thank you. by the way i'm using ati radeon 2600xt pci card. thanks again....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Is there no way at all to force QE/CI? Even if I have to delve into some obscure text file and risk the system, so be it, I'm willing to try if it's possible.

I have a Sapphire 3870 and typically it will not play ball and I'm at my wits end. I have tried every driver/framebuffer and EFI string and kext I could find and every single time Quartz Extreme shows as Not Supported.

So I wish I could just force it to see what happens.

I have a 8600GT Nvidia card laying around but that could also be trouble to set up and well, I'm not sure if it's worth it being less powerful, but if I have to..

Hi ElderSnake.

I have the Sapphire 3870 Toxic and it works 99.9%

The .1% is cause TeamFortress 2 and Day of Defeat from Steam do not work.

I am not using the stand alone Natit.kext

I am using the previous Installer which has a couple of kext's

ATINDRV.kext

ATIRadeonX2000.kext

ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle

Natit.kext

And it installs stuff in OpenGL.framework

For:

ATI Radeon HD 3850 and 3870

Device ID: 9501 and 9505

And for 10.5.6 - 10.5.8 only.

It weighs 19mb and i'll try the upload file feature in the reply but if it does not work I wonder if gmail handles attachments of that size.

Let me know!

• 3 months later...

Hello All

I have been trying unsuccessfully for over a week now to enable QE/CI and Resolution Switching in Leopard 10.5.8 with my Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro PCI Version (0x94cc, NOT PCI-e!!!). After browsing endless forums and tutorials, I have determined that there are .kexts and support available for pretty much EVERY HD 2400 Pro model BESIDES the PCI version.

I have followed several tutorials and used countless kexts in order to get this working, and I'm about to throw in the towel. After I add my device ID to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and reboot, all I get is a black screen with a purple and blue pattern. It seems that there is just no support at all for this specific device ID (0x94cc).

So my questions:

1) Has anyone ever actually gotten full QE/CI Support and Resolution Switching with this card?

2) If so, where can I find the correct steps and kexts to install in order to get mine working?!?

Thanks to all for any help I can get here, I can't imagine that the HD 2400 Pro ONLY works if it's AGP or PCI-e... I know this is kind of a dead issue (all posts I can find on the issue are years old...), but I'm fairly new to 'hackintosh' and would appreciate some instruction. Thanks!!

(( I also read somewhere that Apple intentionally excluded PCI gfx cards from being able to utilize the technology, but I have found several tutorials for GeForce PCI cards so it must be possible for a Radeon as well, right...?? ))

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

:) Hi.

Anyone know if this method work on Lion (installed from original app) ?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Lion work ok, but I need to configure graphic card.

Thanks in advance.

Alberto