Modified BIOS to get all cores working

Kabyl

1,884 posts in this topic

The chips aren't removeable on those boards... if they were I would have simply taken the one on my board to the lab of my electronic engineering prof.

You have to unsolder the chip then try the hot flashing method krazubu described. The problem is not only finding someone with the same board (maybe a similar board would also work ? ) but also persuading him to unsolder his board. Or, if  you brave enough, buy the same  motherboard, unsolder, use the trick, resolder and sell it (or preferably both) as used  (and buy a better motherboard for yourself). Or buy a programmed chip from a repair service such as bios-repair.co.uk and solder it yourself.

You have to unsolder the chip then try the hot flashing method krazubu described.

Unsoldering is not my understanding of "removeable", some time ago the e²proms sat on a socket so they were removeable... flashing an e²prom isn't really the problem. Burned an eprom with some assembler last week.

Wow, how quick! Thank you very much! Will try this asap. Currently, I have to boot with -x cpus=1 (and vanilla 9.1.0 kernel instead of 9.2.0 ones), will see what the modified DSDT brings me to:)

By the way, is there any sane way to flash BIOS from Linux on ASUS machines?

Hello Peeps,

I can see that this topic is a mixture of joy and pain. :( + :censored2:

It looks like ASUS BIOS' are sussed but other mobo's are more hit an miss to be polite :censored2:

I would like to thank Kabyl for all his hard work, research and sharing of his bios knowledge.

I haven't been able to test the bios he gave me yet and have been slightly put off by the recent bad flashes!

At the moment, all this bios knowledge is within one persons head and it is not fair to put all the pressure on Kabyl for getting this right.

Therfore, I think we have reached a critical point where we need to work together more closely and start a new topic to disucss the more tehcnical side of bios modding.

for instance, we need to understand the different vendor bios in more detail and also which tools (and versions) are needed to modify them. This will provide greater transparency (where have i heard that bull$%^" before!!!) for the blind flasher!

The result of this could mean that when a modded bios is posted, we could include more detail, so instead of just xyz mod.zip link, it could be more descriptive, and show the whole process in the order in which it was carried out.

hardware platform - motherboard name, revision info etc.

orignal bios = filename.rom + live link + checksum

modded bios = filename.rom + live link + checksum

changelog:-

ACPI (changed xyz to xzy using program x)

Sound ID (changed ddd to ggg using "")

Other mods done by .....

bios verified using.......

This way it would allow others to try the mod themselves and compare their results against others, double checking the mods in the process....

also, it would be good if checksums were included with archives as well.

Maybe we should implement a 2 person approval for any new bios!!

This way we are forced to learn all this stuff even if we dont like it!!!

I have finished ranting now. Please can you more mechanically minded individuals get to together to make bios modding more succesful :censored2:

this is bios file for asus f8sv seriesplease help me to modify it! i can use only one core now?and another request? please send it to me by email (8909171@qq.com)!thanks!

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/F8Sv/F8SV300AS.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/97175137/F8SV300AS_mod.zip.html

could you do one for f3sc? here's bios: Bios Asus F3SC

http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/F3SC/f3sc208AS.zip

Thanks

Corum

http://rapidshare.com/files/97174892/F3Sc208AS_mod.zip.html

:)

Hello Peeps,

I can see that this topic is a mixture of joy and pain. :D + :(

It looks like ASUS BIOS' are sussed but other mobo's are more hit an miss to be polite :wacko:

I would like to thank Kabyl for all his hard work, research and sharing of his bios knowledge.

I haven't been able to test the bios he gave me yet and have been slightly put off by the recent bad flashes!

At the moment, all this bios knowledge is within one persons head and it is not fair to put all the pressure on Kabyl for getting this right.

Therfore, I think we have reached a critical point where we need to work together more closely and start a new topic to disucss the more tehcnical side of bios modding.

for instance, we need to understand the different vendor bios in more detail and also which tools (and versions) are needed to modify them. This will provide greater transparency (where have i heard that bull$%^" before!!!) for the blind flasher!

The result of this could mean that when a modded bios is posted, we could include more detail, so instead of just xyz mod.zip link, it could be more descriptive, and show the whole process in the order in which it was carried out.

hardware platform - motherboard name, revision info etc.

orignal bios = filename.rom + live link + checksum

modded bios = filename.rom + live link + checksum

changelog:-

ACPI (changed xyz to xzy using program x)

Sound ID (changed ddd to ggg using "")

Other mods done by .....

bios verified using.......

This way it would allow others to try the mod themselves and compare their results against others, double checking the mods in the process....

also, it would be good if checksums were included with archives as well.

Maybe we should implement a 2 person approval for any new bios!!

This way we are forced to learn all this stuff even if we dont like it!!!

I have finished ranting now. Please can you more mechanically minded individuals get to together to make bios modding more succesful :dance_24:

I quote the requests, so, that includes enough info about the laptop/board, also the file name includes the BIOS version/revision.. checksums are now included in the last 2 BIOSes (and will be from now on).

As of the change logs, I think anyone interested can compare the original and the modified one.

Thanks.

Could you help me try this bios:acer aspire 5580

http://rapidshare.com/files/97674355/ZR1_3508.rar.html

Thx in advance!

Read the first post, and tell me if you have the same issue..

Hello,

it would be nice if you can help me with my msi p35 platinum to get all cores working (intel q6600)

bios: v1.8 official

http://download1.msi.com.tw/files/download...exe/7345v18.zip

Read this post.

Hi,

Thanks for your great work.

I would like to know if it will also work on the desktop. (MSI G31M-F)

Here is the link.

http://download1.msi.com.tw/files/download...exe/7379v73.zip

Thanks in advance.

Chun-Nan

Same here, read this post.

I don't know, maybe we need new tools for BIOSes used in the latest MSI boards, I'm still trying to find a solution..

Read the first post, and tell me if you have the same issue..

Read this post.

Same here, read this post.

I don't know, maybe we need new tools for BIOSes used in the latest MSI boards, I'm still trying to find a solution..

Previous modified BIOS can enable duo cores function of MSI PR600, but mine will be interfered by its Natit.kext for X3100 Graphics. It also does improve Xbench 1.3 scores after booting with cpus=1. Thanks anyway, keep on your development and improving in this direction !

Kabyl, I'm not a girl, but if I was , I'll surely wants to have sex with you :)

Just a way to say you REALLY THANKS!

Your Asus F9S Bios makes me see both cores.

Really, I'm crying right now :):D:o

system.log_1.rtf

Please see the attached file for more details of my system.log

KabylI have sent you the system.log for my MSI PR600 when it's booted with cpus=2 and it always freezes just after LOGIN WINDOWS and before into X3100 Graphics. So I guess it's interfered by my Natit.kext which's used for activation of Intel X3100 Video Graphics (internally bundled).Am I right ?