The Newbies FAQ to Mac OSx86

~pcwiz

150 posts in this topic

Hey buddy,

Great news (well for me anyways!) I FIXED IT!!! Although I officially need to acknowledge and thank Microsoft for this fix though.

After spending days searching all the available OSX forums, I thought I'd see if any of the other Google suggestions would be worth a try (Linux, Windows, Unix etc). Luckily, one of them was from a Microsoft Windows XP forum and suggested that I try to install all drivers from within Safe Mode. Hey, what the hell worth a shot a least right, I mean I've tried everything else?...

So, I booted into OSX Leopard's Safe Mode (holding down the Right Shift Key before Darwin Bootloader starts, but after the BIOS splash screen - FYI it does take a while to boot into, so dont worry) and followed my usual drill of installing the kext, manually deleting the Extensions.mkext and the folder called "Caches" in \System\Library\Extensions. I then run the commands to 775 & root:wheel & touch the Extensions folder. And lastly I run Disk Utility to repair permissions on my GUID partition.

And surprise, surprise! IT WORKED!!!

In fact it didn't just work, it actually sped up the whole performance of my Hackintosh??? My Netgear WG111v2 connects immediately to the Network now after startup instead of 20secs later, the GUI is smoother & way more fluidic, apps from Office start up within 3secs.

I was also having problems with Shutdown and any combination of Audio kexts installed whilst running the 9.2.2 or the Netkas 9.2.0 shutdown kernel, but guess what now there gone! All because I then tried installing them under Safe Mode.

I am now running 9.2.2 Darwin kernel and my PC is 98% Vanilla Retail install.

The only other 2 outstanding issues are:

Getting it to wake up from sleep from my keyboard sleep button (the PC fires back up but the monitor displays no signal). But, if I put it to sleep from the Start menu the screen goes a little brighter and then goes to sleep and can be woken up correctly by pressing the power button on the PC, but it still remains considerably brighter???

And the second is I cant adjust the gamma control settings on my 8500GT (installed via NVInstaller .41), but I could do so on my onboard GMA950???

Once again, I would really appreciate your advise mate! BTW I think it might be handy to someone, someday if you mention the Safe Mode install method in your kickass FAQ guide?

Anyways apologies for the looonnnngest post in the history of Earth, but I just love it when something finally works after so much stress, time and frustration.

P.S. THANK YOU mate for at least having the decency to at least acknowledge me and reply with helpful suggestions bro! You are a LEGEND!!! :D :D :D

Opps sorry mate, forgot to ask! Is there anyway I can stop my Mouse & Keyboard (except the proper Sleep button) from waking the Hackintosh, i.e. if I accidently knock the Mouse I dont want the PC to wake, but if I want to wake the PC I only want to press the Sleep button and no other on my Logitech keyboard?...

As always, thank you PCWiz

Hey davejones,

Glad it worked. Will add that to the FAQ soon :) For sleep, look in System Preferences >> Power Saver for the sleep options. Try switching your sleep mode in BIOS to APCI Power Mode S1 to see if that helps. Is the QE/CI supported on your 8500GT (System Profiler >> Graphics/Displays >> Look next to Core Image and Quartz Extreme).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again PCWiz,

Can you please help me out and answer the following questions for me:

Is it ok to keep booting my Hackintosh with the "-s" command on the EFI v.80 boot menu? The reason I ask is because this is the only way I can get my sound card to work & stay after each reboot (otherwise it always disappears).

What exactly does the "-s" do & are there any disadvantages or negative effects of always booting with it?

Lastly, is there anyway to boot with it enabled permanently (without me having to press F8 & type "-s" at each boot up?)

Cheers mate,

davejones

Wierd, I thought -s would take you to single user mode. (command line). It should be OK to boot into that everytime though (although I'm not quite sure what it does now :) .

Lastly, is there anyway to boot with it enabled permanently (without me having to press F8 & type "-s" at each boot up?)
YES

Launch Terminal.

Type sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist (it will prompt for your password)

You will get to a text editor.

Look for this bit:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

Make it look like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-s</string>

Now type control-x, it will ask you to save, push enter twice to confirm and overwrite and it's done! :D

• 2 weeks later...

@PCWiz: Thanks a lot for putting down the effort to share such wealth of knowledge you have on this issue :dance_24:

I have a few questions.. how good does standby\resume perform for these hackintoshes? One of the best 'feature' of Mac notebooks is how fast it resumes from standby. Probably averages less than 1 second from opening the lid, the system is up and usable.

I've tried googling and searching youtube for videos of this, but I've only seem to find references when people are having problem not being able to use standby\resume at all, or when they have problem not getting the display back.. nothing about how quick\slow when they work.

And what it is that we should look for, in regards to compatbility with such feature?

Thanks a lot, mate!

PS: I'm looking to get a MSI Wind to run hackintosh... after positive review here of course :)

ysss.

It all depends what your hardware is. For some, it doesn't work at all. For others, it works partially. For some, its slow. For some, its perfect. It just all depends on your hardware and software configuration, but a lot of the time it can be remedied by installing a sleep kernel or some kext, or changing a BIOS setting :)

Thanks pcwiz! By perfect, you mean it acts just like a real mac (resume on <1 second)?

that's awesome. I don't suppose you can recommend me a specific notebook make/model or even a specific chipset/configuration to achieve that?

Guest tylerch94

how come when i boot the kalyway, i get to the installer and then my mouse and keyboard dont work, please help me!

Hi guys i'm sorry if i'm posting this in a wrong place but i'm new to this osx86 and i need some help. I've gone through the forums and everyone seems to be having different issues. My issue is that I got the mac osx86 dvd and i think it's the one from ToH. When i boot my computer with the dvd in it, it seems to be working fine it loads everything that it's meant to load and then it stops at some stage and the last message that i get on the screen is this one: MAC Framework successfully initialised using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers and it freezes there and i can't do anything i have to turn the computer off. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent, thanks for this.

I am about to embark on the OSx86 train having salivated over a Mac for a very long time. My buying list is almost complete and time will soon come to try all this out.

Thanks again

Cheers

Bruce

I have a PC with a Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 Ghz, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 instructions, i945PM chipset, ATI Radeon x1600 Graphics Card, and DDR2 Memory. Will this specs can run a leopard OS? If yes, what instructions/recommendations can you give when installing the os?

brilliant faq! :queen:

...i still got some questions though...

1. what's the difference between "kalyway,iatkos,or something like that" and "retail dvd"

i mean, beside those tied-in softwares, is kalyway basically the same with retail dvd?

will retail version run better? would u guys suggest a kalyway, or a retail dvd?

2. i'm quite new to this...but i know that "kernel" has something to do with unix(is mac os a unix too?)

and "kernel" actually means core right?

now my question is, would there be differences if i use different kernels? (ex:vanilla...)

please help~thx a million!