*Don't* Upgrade to 1.1.3!

Paranoid Marvin

13 posts in this topic

Ok, so I upgraded to 1.1.3 on my iPod Touch and it's proved to be a big mistake.

Firstly, there is no jailbreak out yet, and I never quite remember what it is like without the installer.app...

The fact is, it is dreadful. Also, the new Dock on the iPod Touch is awful, really awful.

Also, Apple seems to have made it really, really difficult to downgrade again to 1.1.1.

So before you go making the mistake Numberzz (:D) and I make:

Don't upgrade to 1.1.3!

I upgraded for the fact that a jailbreak is supposed to be out in a few days, and if not that's easy to fix :wacko:

Sucks that apple makes you pay $20 for the iPhone apps though.

I have mixed opinions about the dock. At first it looks really bad, but you get used to it.

Lets see, I stayed at Jailbroken 1.1.2:

-I have a customizable homescreen

-I have the iPhone apps

-I have tons of features and apps that you can't get with vanilla touch firmware

-I have twenty dollars

-I can downgrade to anything I'd like

Hmm, looks like I made the right choice :(

I never jailbroke mine because I've been a tad bit afraid of bricking my $400 investment.

you really can't brick an ipod touch.

... well, not easily.

Lets see, I stayed at Jailbroken 1.1.2:

-I have a customizable homescreen

-I have the iPhone apps

-I have tons of features and apps that you can't get with vanilla touch firmware

-I have twenty dollars

-I can downgrade to anything I'd like

Hmm, looks like I made the right choice ;)

And you have a less stable iPod. I updated to full 1.1.3 and I'm happy with it. I found no need to keep my jailbroken 1.1.2 so I pushed the upgrade. I find that my iPod is crashing apps WAY less than when it was jailbroken (even with no apps installed, no changes to anything, just first time jailbreak), and it's much faster. I also get features that I used most on the jailbroken 1.1.2 (mostly the iPhone apps, Notes, Mail, and Weather) with an iPod warranty supported 1.1.3. I don't even think I will be jailbreaking 1.1.3 when/if it comes out.

And you have a less stable iPod. I updated to full 1.1.3 and I'm happy with it. I found no need to keep my jailbroken 1.1.2 so I pushed the upgrade. I find that my iPod is crashing apps WAY less than when it was jailbroken (even with no apps installed, no changes to anything, just first time jailbreak), and it's much faster. I also get features that I used most on the jailbroken 1.1.2 (mostly the iPhone apps, Notes, Mail, and Weather) with an iPod warranty supported 1.1.3. I don't even think I will be jailbreaking 1.1.3 when/if it comes out.
Totally agree. I got fed up with a buggy Jailbroken Touch that crashed on me at least twice. I could restore it, but then I had to ftp over the iPhone apps, reset the permissions, reload the music/podcasts. And for WHAT? Basically to get the iPhone apps. I'm not sure what the "tons of other features" the poster was talking about. For my money there was the Podcast downloader and a lot of programs that didn't really do much useful(to me there were a lot of programs that showed things could be done, but none of them added any useful functionality, and if they added some there use was usually cumbersome). What good is having programs like a terminal when functionally you don't have any programs to do anything to with them? It is almost 6 months after the iPhone was released, and I count ONE non-Apple app(Mobilecast) that actually does something that adds function to the Touch/iPhone, and lately there has been NOTHING. I think we see the limits of Jailbreaking, and need to realize that official SDK apps are the way to go for the near future. Hopefully Apple has been watching and realizes the potential of the Touch/iPhone and allows real computer apps to be written for them. I don't begrudge the folks who want to Jailbreak - it is a fun hobby, and I enjoyed being able to see what I could do with my Touch. But if you just want a device that works with fewer headaches, I don't think you lose anything(except arguably $20, which I can't find a lot of sympathy for since you paid $300-400 for a toy you didn't need in the first place), and I think you gain the confidence of knowing you won't have to reenter 3 months of calendar entries like I did the last time my Touch crashed.And I have only had a few hours to play with it, but the my 1.1.3 Touch & iPhone apps does seem faster than my Jailbroken 1.1.1.Here is an interesting bonus to upgrading after jailbreaking - all of my settings(email, stock quotes, weather location) from my Jailbroken iPhone apps showed up intact when I installed my 1.1.3 update and the versions of the apps I legally downloaded from iTunes today!

Totally agree. I got fed up with a buggy Jailbroken Touch that crashed on me at least twice. I could restore it, but then I had to ftp over the iPhone apps, reset the permissions, reload the music/podcasts. And for WHAT? Basically to get the iPhone apps. I'm not sure what the "tons of other features" the poster was talking about. For my money there was the Podcast downloader and a lot of programs that didn't really do much useful(to me there were a lot of programs that showed things could be done, but none of them added any useful functionality, and if they added some there use was usually cumbersome). What good is having programs like a terminal when functionally you don't have any programs to do anything to with them? It is almost 6 months after the iPhone was released, and I count ONE non-Apple app(Mobilecast) that actually does something that adds function to the Touch/iPhone, and lately there has been NOTHING. I think we see the limits of Jailbreaking, and need to realize that official SDK apps are the way to go for the near future. Hopefully Apple has been watching and realizes the potential of the Touch/iPhone and allows real computer apps to be written for them. I don't begrudge the folks who want to Jailbreak - it is a fun hobby, and I enjoyed being able to see what I could do with my Touch. But if you just want a device that works with fewer headaches, I don't think you lose anything(except arguably $20, which I can't find a lot of sympathy for since you paid $300-400 for a toy you didn't need in the first place), and I think you gain the confidence of knowing you won't have to reenter 3 months of calendar entries like I did the last time my Touch crashed.And I have only had a few hours to play with it, but the my 1.1.3 Touch & iPhone apps does seem faster than my Jailbroken 1.1.1.Here is an interesting bonus to upgrading after jailbreaking - all of my settings(email, stock quotes, weather location) from my Jailbroken iPhone apps showed up intact when I installed my 1.1.3 update and the versions of the apps I legally downloaded from iTunes today!

wow! :blink:

I agree with some key points jlbrown has made. I just recently purchased a touch and immediately I paid the cash and did the software update. I cannot express feelings about jailbreaking which I initially thought would be fun but now I am realizing there truly is no benefit due to the release of the SDK in February. I am completely satisfied with my touch and it never crashed and I must admit had I jailbroken and it began to crash I would be quite frustrated with my $300 investment I just made and voided any such warranty on. Ultimately I think $20 is little to pay for a few cool applications, on top of that I think it is totally wicked that I can find my location with the Maps app regardless of not having GPS.

Anyways there's my 2 cents