CardBus/PCMCIA PC Cards for Tiger

~Eureka

161 posts in this topic

With IOPCIFamily.10.4.11.beta.zip i have a kernel panic

I attach the result of ioreg with previous kexts

Two CardBridge is a hard task for IOPCCardFamily. It is probably not working with your config. I don't know.

But one notice. You have AGP chipset. As previously found there is a problem for compatibility. For resolving the issue I made new version of AGPGart 2.6.x. It correct some PCI setting. May be it help you. I am not sure.

With IOPCIFamily.10.4.11.beta.zip i have a kernel panic

I attach the result of ioreg with previous kexts

Hi joecas,

I forgot to mention that it may cause kernel panic when you have AGPGart installed. In addition, if you have tried to replace other kext files to make your pccard work before, you may have to restore those kext files you replaced first or it may cause kernel panic.

Chun-Nan

Version for Tiger without debuging

Checked with

1.Laptop Samsung P29Celeron M 1,3ATI IXP 150 - workATI AC97 sound - workCardBus Ricoh RL5C475 - work, tested with Adaptec SlimSCSI 1480Firewire Ricoh R5C551 - appears as working but not testedUSB Nec - workRadeon 9100IGP - in progress (no freeze, no crashes)

JaS 10.4.6 with ATI drivers (ATA, AC97, Radeon) and new IOPCIFamily.

2.Core2 DuoGigabyte 965P-S3PCIE, USB and SATA busesGA nVidia 7300LE 128Mb PCIEMacOSX Kalyway 10.4.10All works fine

Slice,Your IOPCIFamily.kext works great w/Upchuck 10.4.9, Thank you, see log below :D

Mar 9 20:34:07 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCI2PCIBridge: cardbus memory range 524288 bytes @ 0xe0204000

Mar 9 20:34:07 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCI2PCIBridge: cardbus I/O range 2048 bytes at 0x00003100

Mar 9 20:34:07 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: Ricoh RL5C476 rev a9

Mar 9 20:34:07 localhost kernel[0]: IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: , Ricoh RL5C476 rev a9

:thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
I just want to know how to get my firewire card working. I am trying to put these two files in but they cause a kernal panic on reboot.

Use new IOPCIFamily.kext but delete IOPCCardFamily.kext. It is known to conflict with FireWire.

Clear BIOS of your comp and erase Extension.kextcache and .mkext.

If you have AGP bus you need also AGPGart else kernel panic.

Hi sebhag,

I have added TI 7420 chips on the beta3 edition. I also asked EqUaTe to help build the installation package. Maybe tomorrow or later, it will be posted on the forum. However, right now it is for only Leopard, not Tiger.

You can download the source code, add your pccard chip to it, and compile it.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun Nan,

I'm trying to add the TI 7420 myself and just wanted to check something... do i just need to add references for the 7420 to ti113x.h and then compile. I had a quick look and it seems pretty straight forward, but i'm not sure.

Many thanks,

Seb.

Hi Chun Nan,

I'm trying to add the TI 7420 myself and just wanted to check something... do i just need to add references for the 7420 to ti113x.h and then compile. I had a quick look and it seems pretty straight forward, but i'm not sure.

Many thanks,

Seb.

Edited, compiled and it worked!!! :) I can't believe it. Thanks sooo much Chun Nan!

• 2 weeks later...

rev3 works a treat on my Acer Travelmate 2420 with an ENE CB1410 cardbus and 10.4.11 :)

However - do not just use disk utility to reset permissions, use the full chmod chown thingy through terminal.

1 quick question - Is there an easy way to put a device name in? It shows as 'Unknown Vendor'...

Sam.

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

JaS Tiger 10.4.8 doesn't boot after overwriting IOPCIFamily.kext from Chun-Nan's rev3. System stops responding at the grey screen with Apple logo. After hard reset it shows kernel panic.

Hardware - laptop Compaq Evo n610c.

What I've done wrong? Thanks.

Pic:

post-231327-1211019419_thumb.jpg

Hello thanks for working on them drivers they are AWSOME!!!

This post is aimed at a PCMCIA firewire controller (SIGG Firewire Dual-port Cardbus - NN-PCM222)

I have tryed all the drivers available (r1 + r2 +r3) suprisinly they all work, I used Kext Helper b7 to install them, my PCMCIA card swiches on (blue light visible) through the boot up process. once tiger has booted a new icon appears on the bar across the top(it says unknown vender/firewirecontroller/power off card) the card also appears in system profiler/PC Cards, so the r1/r2/r3 drivers for the card works.

Heres the problem, When i plug my sound card in to the pcmcia card, it does nothing. I have installd the new soundcard drivers (MOTU) but still no activity.

Are there any generic firewire drivers about that mite help solve the problem.

It seems to be the connection between the card and the soundcard

Any help would be great

Thanks again :blink::(:D:D:D:D:D

hi!

I'm currently developing a driver for Mac OSX for Creative Live/Audigy/Audigy2 cards. I'm using a laptop with OSX 10.4.10 + CardBus version of the Creative Audigy device.

I tried your cardbus driver (rev3) on my laptop, [RICOH adapter] + Creative ZS Notebook CardBus card.

Your driver detected the card, assigned IO resources, however, my own driver for Creative cards cannot access the device...

ioRead32() returns 0xffffffff, as if the device was not configured or powered-on.

In the menu bar I can see cardbus icon + 'Creative' + an option to power-down the card, the driver detects card insertion and removal, but I cannot proceed with my development.

My Windows version of the driver for this card [www.kxproject.com] on the same laptop worked fine.

I guess, the problem is either with Ricoh initialization, cardbus power management or IO space assignment (Windows used to allocate registers 0xd000..., while MacOS X assigns 0x100...).

Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Eugene

More information on the Ricoh adapter [from Windows]:

--

Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II):

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0476&SUBSYS_19671043&REV_B3

Ricoh RL5C476 CardBus Controller

Windows assigns the following ports by default:

FD00-FDFF

FE00-FEFF

Memory:

000DF000-000DFFFF

CC000000-CFFFFFFF

FFB7E000-FFB7EFFF

FFB7F000-FFB7FFFF

IRQ: 17

Chun-Nan!

I tried your Leopard driver (beta3 package update) on a leopard partition, and everything was OK, PCCardFamily.kext/PCIFamily.kext recognized the device and assigned IO ports 0x1000-.. to my device, and my driver loaded and was able to access the device.

Unfortunately, I cannot use leopard on my laptop, because my video card is outdated and unsupported in leo (Radeon 9700, screen is distorted).

I guess the same fix included in leo driver is included in Tiger 10.4.11 beta3 package, but I cannot install it on my laptop, because the laptop is SSE2-only, and 10.4.11 kernels require SSE3...

Could you please release your driver for Tiger 10.4.10 with all fixes found in beta3/leopard?..

Thanks!

Chun-Nan!

I tried your Leopard driver (beta3 package update) on a leopard partition, and everything was OK, PCCardFamily.kext/PCIFamily.kext recognized the device and assigned IO ports 0x1000-.. to my device, and my driver loaded and was able to access the device.

Unfortunately, I cannot use leopard on my laptop, because my video card is outdated and unsupported in leo (Radeon 9700, screen is distorted).

I guess the same fix included in leo driver is included in Tiger 10.4.11 beta3 package, but I cannot install it on my laptop, because the laptop is SSE2-only, and 10.4.11 kernels require SSE3...

Could you please release your driver for Tiger 10.4.10 with all fixes found in beta3/leopard?..

Thanks!

Hi eugene k2,

I have checked Apple's website. 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 use the same IOPCIFamily source code (79.5) Right now I only have 10.5.2 and 10.4.11 installed. I will suggest you give the 10.4.11.beta3 a try to see if it works. Let me know the result. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

hi!

I'm currently developing a driver for Mac OSX for Creative Live/Audigy/Audigy2 cards. I'm using a laptop with OSX 10.4.10 + CardBus version of the Creative Audigy device.

I tried your cardbus driver (rev3) on my laptop, [RICOH adapter] + Creative ZS Notebook CardBus card.

Your driver detected the card, assigned IO resources, however, my own driver for Creative cards cannot access the device...

ioRead32() returns 0xffffffff, as if the device was not configured or powered-on.

In the menu bar I can see cardbus icon + 'Creative' + an option to power-down the card, the driver detects card insertion and removal, but I cannot proceed with my development.

My Windows version of the driver for this card [www.kxproject.com] on the same laptop worked fine.

I guess, the problem is either with Ricoh initialization, cardbus power management or IO space assignment (Windows used to allocate registers 0xd000..., while MacOS X assigns 0x100...).

Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Eugene

AFAIK ioRead32() returns 0xffffffff if you get bad bus number for your pci bus as I previously had with my AGPGart. I made in my driver

subordinateBus = bridgeDevice->configRead8( kPCI2PCISubordinateBus );
IOLog("AGPBridge buses: pri %d secBus %d subBus %d BridgeDev %d\n",priBus, secondaryBus, subordinateBus, space.s.busNum);
if (subordinateBus != secondaryBus)
{
	subordinateBus = secondaryBus;
	bridgeDevice->configWrite8( kPCI2PCISubordinateBus, subordinateBus );
	IOLog("AGPGart subBus corrected\n");
}

May be it is prompting for you.

P.S. I have full working Ricoh 5C475 with corrected IOPCIFamily.kext

Thank you for replying!

I finally managed to find a 10.4.11 distribution with SSE2-capable kernel. Under 10.4.11 your IOPCIFamily works fine and resources are assigned properly. My previous attempt to install 10.4.11_beta on 10.4.10 caused kernel panic. So, both of your beta3 installers work fine on my laptop on 10.5.2 and 10.4.11 and in both cases attached PCMCIA device works fine. The only problem was with 10.4.10 + rev3 of your driver.

Slice:

Ricoh was working, but device resources were not assigned properly to the attached PCMCIA device. I guess it is invalid to use ports 0x100.. because they are used for ISA, and PCI should use 0x1000+ (or even 0x8000+) values. Perhaps, Creative Audigy card simply cannot handle port # 0x100.

Device is not connected as a sub-bus, kPCI2PCISubordinateBus is not used.

E.

I don't know why you get 0x100. Did you try other driver?

I have Adaptec SCSI adaptec in Ricoh PCCard slot. All is good!

Are you sure you don't need to check bus numeration?

Slice,

As I said above, Tiger 10.4.11 + "beta3 package" fixed the problem, and the device is now using register 0x1000 and works fine.

So, the problem was only with Tiger 10.4.10 + "IOPCIFamily rev3" from this thread (which assigned incorrect IO space register 0x100+ to the device).

Leo 10.5.2 + "IOPCIFamily beta3" package driver combo works fine as well.

--

By the way, if you have a look at the logs of other users in this thread, you will notice that PCIFamily/PCCardFamily driver assigned 0x100 quite often...