New Mac Pros Announced on Jan 8 2008

Numberzz

131 posts in this topic

Like most I'd love to see a mid priced tower/desktop, I'd love a Mac Pro but they're an overkill for my humble needs. I like the idea of being able to upgrade video cards and hard drives easily.

I've finally got myself a "real" Mac (MacBook) which I'm enjoying, I'm still using my hack as well but I got sick of worrying about updates and should I install them. My hack is in a Mac Pro case so I can add and remove parts as I need to.

The iMac is made from Laptop components, yes, but they actually give it some notable advantages, such as super-low power consumption and very quiet performance. It's actually just about the quietest computer you can buy!

Quiet while idle i guess...however, when you start doing some heavy work on them (such as rendering in final cut), the fans spin fast due to poor cooling design and get extremely loud. Its annoying.

Isn't a good option for a decent priced desktop a Mac Pro ordered with a single CPU?

Just recently Got a new Mac Pro (standard box) and ended up getting an eVGA 8800GT and flashing the ROM. It worked like a charm! Also upgraded the memory w/ memory from newegg @ a 3rd of the cost apple wants. Added another hard drive for bootcamp and time machine and am loving the machine. Fairly quite, actually it is super quite compared to the PC I have. I actually looked at building a comparable machine since the hack I have re-introduced me to mac OS, but cost wise to hardware wise it would have been fairly comparable in price and it honestly is a lot of "tweaking" w/ a hack sometimes. Mine is terrible with the nforce 680i MB it is using (need to change that out!). Heck I even talked my bosss into a MacBook for my work laptop and sent mine off to a new employee (I am the IT guy as part of my job).

Quiet while idle i guess...however, when you start doing some heavy work on them (such as rendering in final cut), the fans spin fast due to poor cooling design and get extremely loud. Its annoying.
That sucks. is this with the older white iMacs or the new aluminium ones? In this review at Silent PC Review they find the iMac the quietest computer around, making only about 22dB when the CPU is stressed!

The basic MacPros with their Xeon(s) inside are not overpriced. But if you only want a Desktop Computer which gives you the option of installing several HardDisk or optical Drives inside - a Hackintosh will cost you about 1000€ while a MacPro will cost you 2000€ (prices for Germany). And no i do not like Stacks of external HD and burner.

LC-Power Silent Giant LC6420GP Green Power 420W

Sapphire HD 2600 XT, 512MB PCIe (11110-09-20R)

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA II (ST3500630AS)

Cooler Master Stacker (STC-T01) Schwarz

MDT DIMM Kit 4096MB PC2-6400 CL5 (DDR2-800)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 4x 2.67GHz 2x 6MB Tray

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4, P35 S775

ASUS Silent Knight II Kühler (90-PN581CM)

LG Electronics GH20NS10 schwarz bulk SATA

Leopard 10.5.1

Mighty Mouse

Apple Keyboard

=999,10€

I think there is something missing between the iMac and the MacPro... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

i was wonderin' if apple was goin' to release a mac pro with penryn or not. this is the mac pro that i want. but it'll be a awhile before i start to save for one. this is the order of the purchases that i plan on buyin'.

1. upgrade my pc with an intel e8400/asus p5n-t deluxe (the motherboard could change) plus other pc parts

2. m-audio midi keyboard

3. roland fantom-g workstation/keyboard

4. pro headphones

6. a pair of technics sl 1210m5g turntables

7. rane ttm56 mixer

8. digidesign mbox 2 pro (the firewire edition)

9. rane/serato scratch live

10. a pair of denon dn-s5000 or dn-s3500 turntables

11. a used roland tr-808 drum synthesizer (a vintage/classic synth)

12. a used roland jp-8080 synthesizer/keyboard (a vintage/classic synth)

13. dave smith prophet-08

14. apple mac pro

15. a pair of event studio precision 8 studio monitors

16. lexicon mx500 dual stereo/surround reverb processor with firewire

so the mac pro is almost last on my list, i'm buildin' a pc that can handle my music production until i finally decide to get a mac. right now, i'm leanin' towards not buildin' a hackintosh but i support anybody else that decides to build a hackintosh (i love hacks, i bought a hacked region free dvd player so that i can buy and play import dvd's).