Just for the people who still think GeForce 8800GT/GTS512 (G92) aren't optimized

cyclonefr

36 posts in this topic

Like I said, as far as I know Wow isn't multithreaded. Meaning last time I remembered, it wasen't, and I never knew that it was. But, I saw nothing else relating to performance other than fps. Again, I bring Mac Pro in, because the Mac Pro is the only Mac that uses the 8800. Now, you can run the games in osx86, but when you boil it all down, you aren't running it on a Mac. Why? It's not a mac. You may build to work like a Mac, but unless it has the apple logo on it somewhere, it's not a mac.

Like I said, as far as I know Wow isn't multithreaded. Meaning last time I remembered, it wasen't, and I never knew that it was. But, I saw nothing else relating to performance other than fps. Again, I bring Mac Pro in, because the Mac Pro is the only Mac that uses the 8800. Now, you can run the games in osx86, but when you boil it all down, you aren't running it on a Mac. Why? It's not a mac. You may build to work like a Mac, but unless it has the apple logo on it somewhere, it's not a mac.

its multi threaded. the graphics engine will use multithreaded opengl for all rendering, and the new sound engine in 2.3 is also on a different thread. also when recording video and then rendering, both are running on different threads.

• 1 month later...
Does the logo affect performance somehow? =)

Apparently it must or I wouldn't be seeing cars other than hondas with "VTEC" stickers on them, or ones other than Toyota's with "TRD" stickers, etc...

Unfortunately we live in a world where people put a great deal of value (and at least a belief in performance) in branding. It's hillarious.

Yes the Mac Pro is a beast (and a joy to work on without any doubt) however, as this site is dedicated to the "Evolution of OSX86" not the "Evolution of Steve Jobs" :unsure: It's actually off-topic.

Back to topic - I'm collecting info on the GTS usage in different OSX86 implementations - but despite it being indicated in the title of the OP it seems all posters are using the GT - I'll post results on the GTS(G92) in a few days when mine's up on system #3 - but I find the GTS(G80) to be running very much inline with vista performance (and slightly behind XP64 performance) in pure-coded games and 3D apps. At least within no more than 5%. Hoping to see the same thing with my GTS 512 in the new build.

I just installed my first hackintosh and i'm running a 8800GT. Having installed the 10.5.2 update+modded kernel and then installing the official update, does that mean I have the latest Nvidia drivers? or whatever they are called in OSX lol.

Wow is running suprisingly smooth. I'm impressed so far.

The only thing missing is an overclocking tool, in XP/Vista I could use Rivatuner to run my 8800GT at 700/1000. Might have ti buy a 8800GTS to get the extra performance now.

yeah if you are running the Leopard Graphipcs Update, then you are running the latest nvidia drivers. At least latest on apple.com :)

Cuz they have updated it on new MBP that are sold on store. I have uploaded the drivers somewhere else on this forum, and it's been repacked with a nice installer... Choose the search function (but didn't notice any improvement with those drivers at all)

Merci pour la réponse!!!

In fact I had used an older nvinject (learning) and there was only 256mb VRAM recognized in the system app. I don't know if that means that the machine was only accessing 256MB or not. I played 3-4hrs of Wow and it looked really good except some slowdonws in crowded areas, I am not sure but I think that the latest Nvidia drivers with Vista64 were coping better with this than the Mac version.

Anyway I installed the new NVInject V4 and also flashed the bios of my 8800GT to 700/1000, so that it is always overclocked now.

Looking better and better^^ time to ditch windows???