HOW TO: Expand the 6 GB image to any size!

Quick Sick Nick

82 posts in this topic

You have to first install darwin to the destination partition then (if you haven't yet done it) install mac os x (probably from the deadmoo image) to another partition, then boot mac os x and either run the amount of commands listed on the site on the first post, or you can use my script which executes those commands, and thus you'll have a bootable volume.

Btw, for those who haven't tested the CCC method, I've tested it and it doesn't work on my side. When I try to unlock the cloner I have to type my root password and afterwards, the program crashes

Yuri

to open CCC use

sudo open /Applications/CarbonCopyCloner.app

that will open it but i still can't get it to copy everything <_<

I found that I had to su to root first and then run CCC. Even then I would always get one error message along the lines of "unable to allocate vm for 'Library'" But it always happened at a difference place. I just noted the place and used ditto -rsrcFork to transfer that section over just in case. In everyinstance ditto didn't copy because the target and source were identical.

And everything works.

I did the trick but the making and the extracting of the image both gave me a small error message at the end. I don't know if it maybe didn't copy any files, I hope not! It works (writing this from my 20GB partition OS X) and I've tried running all installed apps and some other stuff. Anybody has suggestions on how to check if I got all files?

To copy an install from one disk to another, there's no need to install darwin, you can just put in the CD, and boot with "-s" to get a shell. From there you can run fdisk to partition your disks (make sure to run 'fdisk -u' on a new disk to write the MBR, and when creating the partition in 'fdisk -e', do <flag part#> to make your partition bootable!). Then you can run ditto (if you run ditto /Volumes/<drive>/ /Volumes/<newdrive> you don't have to run ditto like 6 times, it'll get everything). This will result in a bootable clone on a disk of any size in only a few minutes.

CCC did not work properly in 10.4 or 10.4.1, so you probably won't be able to make it work right in the deadmoo image, since it is basically 10.4.1... If you look at the CCC forum, it has the full discussion of the problems before 10.4.2

It took me ages to work that out and still can't do it properly.

You cd to where the scipt is ie(cd /Users/Your Name/Desktop) Then Type sudo sh ditto1.0.sh .

that runs the script but then is asks you where you want to put the files you tell it and it puts them in your 6 gig drive its screwed up i think.

I didn't want to mess around with my Tiger partition so I made another partition, around 9.5 gbs. I read how

hfs+ cant read NTFS partitions due to Microsoft uses thridparty manufacturers to create the NTFS drivers, so i thought how about using Fat 32. Low and behold it works, saying in the info i can read and write. So now

i install all my apps, especially Office into my 9.5 gb.

I didn't want to mess around with my Tiger partition so I made another partition, around 9.5 gbs. I read how 

hfs+ cant read NTFS partitions due to Microsoft uses thridparty manufacturers to create the NTFS drivers, so i thought how about using Fat 32. Low and behold it works, saying in the info i can read and write. So now

i install all my apps, especially Office into my 9.5 gb.

You can make an HFS+ partiton easily also inside windows.

Just free up the space of your Fat 32 with any software you can, The run cmd in windows when you get the prompt Type (Diskpart)

Then you select your disk, If you are only using one type (select disk 0) if using 2 then 1 Blah blah blah

Then , This is the good part,

Type (Create Partition Primary id=af)

No Bracket obviously, Windows does the rest

When you boot back into OSx start disk utility and format your new HFS+ drive.

But thats not the point we want a full osx On a full partition of whatever size we would choose.

Hi,

Someone please shed some light on my native install with 6gig linitations?

Before I new anything about the limitation, I mounted deamoo (9gig) on a 15gig HFS+ partition. I set up Mac just the way I wanted it. Flawless everything. I don't want to mess with it, let alone start from scratch. What would be the least painless way to expand or extend so I can take advantage of the 6gig extra space that Mac isn't using? Please just point out the how-to or link and I can manage it from there. There's just so many ways and I am not enclined to test them all and ruin a perfect install.

Hi,

Someone please shed some light on my native install with 6gig linitations?

Before I new anything about the limitation, I mounted deamoo (9gig) on a 15gig HFS+ partition. I set up Mac just the way I wanted it. Flawless everything. I don't want to mess with it, let alone start from scratch. What would be the least painless way to expand or extend so I can take advantage of the 6gig extra space that Mac isn't using? Please just point out the how-to or link and I can manage it from there. There's just so many ways and I am not enclined to test them all and ruin a perfect install.

Have you got windows on the beginning of the partition?

And how did you get a 9 gig version when everyone else has 6 gig one?

Have you got windows on the beginning of the partition?

And how did you get a 9 gig version when everyone else has 6 gig one?

That's a very good question.. I just looked at my Tiger drive and indeed that capacity was only 6gig. Yet when I went to the install osx86 using the tutorial, it told me to create a 9gig partition. So I created a 9gig secondary partition using using partitionmagic and also set it as primary unbootable partition.

OMG! I actually have 9gig of dead space that I can not use :D.

That's a very good question.. I just looked at my Tiger drive and indeed that capacity was only 6gig. Yet when I went to the install osx86 using the tutorial, it told me to create a 9gig partition. So I created a 9gig secondary partition using using partitionmagic and also set it as primary unbootable partition.

OMG! I actually have 9gig of dead space that I can not use ;).

Yes you can the best way is is to download ubuntu live cd.

When you have got it, and then burned it, boot up with it, let it get started into its operating system, then on the main drop down menu, Applications,System tools,Root Teminal, Then when you get the prompt type cfdisk

find the blank partition in the list write it as primary then write then type and manually tpe in af then write again and your all done.

Dont be scared its really easy.

If you follow thiis you will have you new 9 gig partition usable under OSX

But when you boot back into OSX you will probably have to erase the 9 gig partition with disk utility before it is usable so dont worry if it doesnt show up on the main screen .

Its quite easy in windows if you also have that on the partition.

Im trying a new method ive installed Darwin on The end Partition 15 gigs,

no problems,

and now ive booted into OSx and doing a restore for all the files from 6 gig to my new Darwin 15 gig partition,

i know it is bootable ive tried it but its only bootable when i delete the 6 gig with Ubuntu. then i replaced the partition later with no loss of files.

now im waiting on all the files to copy over,

Fingers crossed 25 % done so far.

Then i will delete the 6 gig again and boot and hopefully bobs your mothers brother....

Hello, please look at the image. You see the HDA2? That's where my 6gig deadmoo is installed. You are saying I do the fallowing.

find the blank partition in the list write it as primary then write then type and manually type in af then write again and your all done.

It would expand the 9gig deadmoo partition to 15gig? I am a bit sceptic about this procedure because what you are essentually saying if formating/ wiping HDA2. Please advise.

partitions3ei.th.gif

Hello, please look at the image. You see the HDA2? That's where my 6gig deadmoo is installed. You are saying I do the fallowing.

It would expand the 9gig deadmoo partition to 15gig? I am a bit sceptic about this procedure because what you are essentually saying if formating/ wiping HDA2. Please advise.

partitions3ei.th.gif

no dont do it it will format it try cfdisk /dev/hda2

Okay. I didnt touch it. What I am trying to do now is create another 6.5gig HFS+ partition barrowed from my windows xp partion (hda1). Then I copy the contents of hda2 to the new partition I just created.

Once it's copied, I will copy the contents (NOT PARTION) of the newly created partition back to hda2. When all the files are copied over, I delete the new partion and give it back to winxp.

The questions are, what are the linux commands to copy contents from one partition to another. Should I still be using Ubantu? Can I use something like TransMac or Mac Drive to make it easier?

Okay. I didnt touch it. What I am trying to do now is create another 6.5gig HFS+ partition barrowed from my windows xp partion (hda1). Then I copy the contents of hda2 to the new partition I just created.

Once it's copied, I will copy the contents (NOT PARTION) of the newly created partition back to hda2. When all the files are copied over, I delete the new partion and give it back to winxp.

The questions are, what are the linux commands to copy contents from one partition to another. Should I still be using Ubantu? Can I use something like TransMac or Mac Drive to make it easier?

Have you got the 6 gig part on hda2 working OSX ok

If so its wierd that the end of the partition isnt showing up in ubuntu the unused space.

Have you got the 6 gig part on hda2 working OSX ok

If so its wierd that the end of the partition isnt showing up in ubuntu the unused space.

Yes! Thats what i'm tripping on. I don't know enough about HFS to draw a conclusion as to why the unused space isn't showing in ubantu and inside Mac. ;)

PS. when I do a cfdisk /dev/hda2 , It just shows up as free space: 15800.77. I don't want to touch it because I know the deadmoo 6gig partition is in there. And it is working perfectly :)