HOW TO: Expand the 6 GB image to any size!

Quick Sick Nick

82 posts in this topic

Bombich software kicks ass. However, the page is on imaging a drive, not resizing a partition. I suppose it would probably work if you had a physical intermediary drive. I tried a similar method with a drive image, but the boot flag doesn't get passed over and I'm stuck with a non-bootable drive.

Well, I had a small 10 gig hard drive (xbox hard drive no less) and a large 120 gig one. I dd'ed from my windows drives to the 10 gig, and then did the command line method to the big 120 gig drive

Ditto is a command-line utility that ships with Mac OS X. Ditto preserves permissions when run as root and preserves resource forks when run with the "-rsrcFork" flag. Ditto is pretty easy to use to clone a Mac OS X disk. It is my preferred utility for cloning because it involves very few steps. Ditto can be used to clone your system with the following steps:

1. Use ditto to copy each of the visible directories from your boot volume to your backup volume. You need to repeat this step for each visible file/folder at the root level of your drive*:

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Applications /Volumes/Backup/Applications

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Developer /Volumes/Backup/Developer

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Library /Volumes/Backup/Library

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System /Volumes/Backup/System

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System\ Folder /Volumes/Backup/System\ Folder

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/Backup/Users

2. Use ditto to copy your Darwin system files (the -rsrcFork flag is optional here)*:

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /cores /Volumes/Backup/cores

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /private /Volumes/Backup/private

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /usr /Volumes/Backup/usr

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /bin /Volumes/Backup/bin

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /sbin /Volumes/Backup/sbin

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /mach_kernel /Volumes/Backup/mach_kernel

* sudo ditto -rsrcFork /.hidden /Volumes/Backup/.hidden

3. Recreate symbolic links and empty directories:

* cd /Volumes/Backup

* ln -s private/etc etc

* ln -s private/var var

* ln -s private/tmp tmp

* mkdir dev Volumes Network

4. Bless the System (OS X) (and System Folder [OS 9] -- if copied) on the target:

* sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Backup/System/Library/CoreServices \

-bootinfo /usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo

* sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/Backup/System\ Folder -bootBlocks

* optionally, use -label "volume name" to provide a name

The last step is not always required, but recommended for good measure. You must at least select it as the boot disk in the Startup Disk Preference Pane if you would like to boot from it.

That's it! That's the big secret. You should now have a bootable clone of your OS X partition.

* The following files/folders at the root level are unnecessary to backup: "dev", "Volumes", "Network", "etc", "tmp", "var", "automount", ".vol", "mach", "mach.sym", ".DS_Store", "Cleanup At Startup", "TheVolumeSettingsFolder", "File Transfer Folder", "Trash", ".Trashes", "TheFindByContentFolder".  You should copy any other files or directories that you find at the root level.

It does make a bottable clone! And you get all the space on the drive! Those who have enough hard drives should test it out.

(And then get the unpatched CoreGraphics file so you can actually run PPC apps)

Quick Sick Nick: thatl ooks like the CCC method. Strangely enough I get a b0 error after following that when I try to boot from my 2nd hard drive. (Same error when I tried to use Disk Utility to clone)

Quick Sick Nick: thatl ooks like the CCC method. Strangely enough I get a b0 error after following that when I try to boot from my 2nd hard drive. (Same error when I tried to use Disk Utility to clone)

I forgot to mention, I had to do something special. I go an error when I typed

sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/Backup/System\ Folder -bootBlocks

I typed help and then decided to type this in:

sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/Backup/System -setBoot

It didn't give an error, and I was able to boot from it! Let me know if this works.....

I managed to use Disk Utility to do the biz, using an intermediate small drive which i'd dd'd the deadmoo image to.

However, after installing v0.3 of Maxxuss' SSE3 emulation, I can now run CarbonCopyCloner properly, so I guess one method which would work would be:

1) Boot the deadmoo image in VMWare, with the (real) target hard drive attached (as 'Use entire drive).

2) Grab the v0.3 (or later?) Maxxuss patch, if you're running an SSE2 processor. (Skip this step if you have SSE3)

3) Download and run CarbonCopyCloner and clone from the boot drive (ie the deadmoo image) to the target drive. Remember to click 'Make Bootable'.

4) Boot up and go.

NB: I have *NOT* tested this method - I used Disk Utility's 'Restore' option, to clone onto a drive which id installed Darwin 8.0.1 onto (used Darwin setup to do the partitioning - this makes it properly bootable etc). I wanted to dual-boot with WinXP, and I ended up having to install Windows *after* OSX. Then edit boot.ini and copy the Chain0 from the DVD and all should be well. Annoyingly, the Darwin bootloader seems to default to booting Windows, so a cold boot with no manual intervention ends up in an endless boot cycle (boot.ini -> darwin -> boot.ini -> darwin -> ....). If anyone's got a fix for this, i'd be interested to know :D

Cheers and big ups all round

- munky

I tried, but failed. The problem is, I did the command line thing above and later goto Preference->Startup Disk to change the system boot from my new partition. Everything looks fine, but after reboot, the system still treats the old tiger-x86 partition as the bootdisk.

Mine is running on a laptop and I'm trying with 2 partitions on the same HDD. Somehow while using this command line cloning method the darwin boot sector isn't being copied to the new partition thus, if on grub (Yes it's triple booting xp, gentoo and OS X) I select the root to be the old installation of os x (Through the deadmoo image) I get the darwin boot loader, if I select the root to be the clone partition I get no darwin boot loader

In my experience, yes, otherwise the system wouldn't boot. Darwin installation is luckily  quite fast.

I've done this and it works, I installed darwin, then booted back to OS X, deleted all the files from the partition and used ditto to copy the OS X filesystem over. For some reason the files /./dev/fd/3 and 4 seemed corrupted and it only worked from single user mode. But it does work.

Also the partition I created seemed to matter, I got it working with fdisk (on OS X) on a single bootable HFS+ partiton.

HTH

EDIT I should probably note the ditto command I used was simply "ditto / /Volumes/Tiger" where "Tiger" is the name of the new partition :o

I am trying to install Darwin 8.01 but it doesn't seem to work for me. I booted from the cd and it starts up spews a lot of data to the screen and in the end there is some error about can't load /sbin/launchd. There is also an error about devfs_kernel_mount.

Any thoughts on this?

Success as well.

I copied a vmware image to a 6gb drive then I installed Darwin 8.01 on my 40gb drive. This was annoying because I had to specify the boot device and Darwin's slice system didn't seem to make much sense (and I used to use FreeBSD all the time!). Anyways, if you are going to try this I'd follow these steps:

1. Get the vmware image installed on a temp drive.

2. Boot onto the temp drive and insert the darwin cd. Then open Terminal and type 'mount'. This will list the current mount points. Look for something like this:

/dev/disk2s1s2 on /Volumes/Darwin8_i386 (local, nodev, nosuid, read-only)

3. Install Darwin. I used auto partition and hfs

4. Boot back onto the temp drive and delete all the files off the darwin drive then use CCC or ditto to transfer the system over to the now-clean drive.

Pretty much it I think.

v

Yup

Success on this side too.

Thanks for the darwin suggestion :(

By the way, I've made a shell script to automatically clone the Partition to the new volume. All you have to do is run it and type the name of the new volume.

I'm open to any feedback on it and suggestions on new features to it.

Thanks again for the support and keep up the good work everyone. Let's make this thing happen ;)

Yuri

ditto_clone_1.0.zip

Yup

Success on this side too.

Thanks for the darwin suggestion <_<

By the way, I've made a shell script to automatically clone the Partition to the new volume. All you have to do is run it and type the name of the new volume.

I'm open to any feedback on it and suggestions on new features to it.

Thanks again for the support and keep up the good work everyone. Let's make this thing happen :)

Yuri

care to test this?, cause your script does not work..

Edit: Silly me, sorry, it does