[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

would a conroe chip socket 775 be compatible with the bofors motherboard?

Conroe compatible chipsets (As per Intel):

post-43528-1154366749.png post-43528-1154366843.png post-43528-1154366978.png post-43528-1154367040.png post-43528-1154367155.png post-43528-1154367267.png

Bofors' board, same as mine does not support Conroe, unless a BIOS update can do it. Can it?

post-43528-1154371148.png

Edited by locuras

On a related note, I am planning to build an Conroe box as well and will be starting a new thread for discussion.

The main issue I can think of at this point is that the current OS X does not support the chipsets and doesn't recognized the bus speeds. My guess is that's due to the new 975/ICH8 combination. Although it appears to run ok, it may not, over a longer period of time.

Normally I would say "wait a little", but being so close to WWDC, and the prospect of Woodcrest/Conroe systems coming, with probably an enhancement to OS X (10.4.8 maybe?), it may be a good time to do this.

I look forward to the new thread.

Some of my shops in the area have 975 boards, none have CoreDuo, or Core2Duo yet, and seeing as there are no CoreDuos, I'm not sure how long it will be before they get Core2Duos. Anyways, anticipation is rising, :-)

Normally I would say "wait a little"...

Just to clarify, I have no immediate plans to build a Conroe and definitely will be waiting more than a little a bit to do so.

The purpose of the new thread will initially be to discuss the host of issues related to building a Conroe box as they become apparent.

I want to report that I am now noticing this problem on my other Dell 2005FPW. It has developed two streak-like defects, one in almost exactly the same location as described above (left of middle) and the other running down right side. These are even lighter than the first at the moment, so it still is really not worth sending back to Dell yet, but now both of my panel will be going back at some (convient) point in time.

I am planning to contact Dell and ask them about this problem which could be caused in part by the fact that I leave my panels on constantly (with screen saver). While I am still relatively satisfied with my Dell panels, I can hardly reccomend what clearly is a defective product. I have had two Samsung 912n panels run under the same conditions for about 18 months (verus about 6 for the Dell's) and they are still perfect.

I finally decided to talk Dell about these defective 2005FPW panels. During the course, I noticed that I have 3 years of coverage under Dell's Advanced Exchange program coverage. This means that Dell will ship me replacement panels first and then I can send these back. So with only a few hours of online jacking around (mainly waiting in queues), Dell has supposedly shipped me some replacements that I will be receiving in 3 - 5 days. Moreover, the return shipping is pre-paid by Dell and their carrier should come pick them from me.

Not bad.

Hey bofors, is there a REALLY easy way to disable Beam Sync? I just get extremely confused with the threads. I appreciate your help. However, is it really a great deal of improvement after you disable it? My XBench is 57.32 right now...

Hey bofors, is there a REALLY easy way to disable Beam Sync? I just get extremely confused with the threads. I appreciate your help. However, is it really a great deal of improvement after you disable it? My XBench is 57.32 right now...

Just follow the link in my sig. Only recommended for LCD's. And yes, most people see an appreciable amount of improvement.

I am getting the idea that this is definitely not CL 3 RAM. I had a hard time finding what the CAS Latency was on this Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667 and that was only figure I found (it was on a UK resellers site).

I tried dropping down to 533 MHz and running at 3-4-4, this system does try to boot up, but there are apparently memory errors as the OS X boot would never complete but repeatedly froze during the horizontal progress indicator stage (blue line goes left to right across the middle of screen with Apple logo above and text messages appearing below).

So, for now I am sticking with 4-4-4-11 at 667 MHz. I ran some Xbench memory tests at the setting and 5-5-5-15, but their seemed to be a lot variation in the results. While I feel this little DDR2 timing lesson has been a good introduction I have a few questions. Specifically, should I try 4-4-4-10 and downward? Or 4-3-X-X? Or just stick with what I am at.

I also really have to question the advice about dual channel 667 being useless on a 800 FSB. That would mean that none of the system memory bandwidth would be going toward devices other than the CPU, can not the Northbridge use this extra bandwith? Can't files be read directly into system memory?

As always answers, advice, questions and feedback are appreciated here.

I have not messed with my RAM timings set January and eventually left at the conservative SPD (automatically detected) settings of 5-5-5-15 because I was having system instability problems with 10.4.3. But those problems totally disappear with 10.4.5 and a few days ago I noticed that AnandTech states my Corsair ValueSelect DDR2-667 RAM is rated for 4-4-4-12: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=17

I have now been running at 4-4-4-12 for a day or so with no problems. I got about 10 points higher on my XBench memory score.

Just follow the link in my sig. Only recommended for LCD's. And yes, most people see an appreciable amount of improvement.
Looks good to me, just scroll up to the top of thread. The link is a little off.

Thanks a lot guys! It went up to 102!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I finally decided to talk Dell about these defective 2005FPW panels. During the course, I noticed that I have 3 years of coverage under Dell's Advanced Exchange program coverage. This means that Dell will ship me replacement panels first and then I can send these back. So with only a few hours of online jacking around (mainly waiting in queues), Dell has supposedly shipped me some replacements that I will be receiving in 3 - 5 days. Moreover, the return shipping is pre-paid by Dell and their carrier should come pick them from me.

Not bad.

I noticed my "new" Dell panels were having the same problem as the originals, only worse. On top of the "streaking" problem, text and windows left open for extended periods of time were "burning" into the screen (note I do run a screensaver with a 30 minute delay).

So, I contacted Dell, again, and got them to issue full refund RMA with return shipping paid. I have ordered two Samsung 204BW's from NewEgg to replace the Dell 2005FPW's for a savings of almost $350!

24-001-087-13.JPG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001087

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 2005fpw and have energy saving set to power off after 15mins. Don't see the point in a screensaver wearing out the cpu and graphics card (flurry pushes them hard!). Havnt seen any streaking in a year. Both do have backlight leakage though so eventually they will be returned because of that.

This is a great thread. Thanks to the first post I built my Hackintosh which works beautifully.

Of course I did modify parts which clearly could be modified. So I bought Ballistix Crucial RAM, a Pentium D950, a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D and a SONY DVD RW DRU-820A (rubbish actually, but it works with OS X), a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream...

What I mean is that I wish there was a thread like this for building a Conroe Hackintosh. I mean a thread which started with a post: OK boys and girls, this is how I built my Conroe OSx86 box. Unfortunately at the moment all the info is scattered all over endless threads, and it is often contradictory.

I have 2 2005fpw and have energy saving set to power off after 15mins. Don't see the point in a screensaver wearing out the cpu and graphics card (flurry pushes them hard!).

I think this is a little backwards. First, I really doubt the use of a screen saver causes any tangible wear and you certainly do not have to use anything graphics intensive (I use the Apple logo "Computer Name" screen saver). Moreover, I strongly suspect that the heating and cooling cycles resulting from turning the panels off and on so often will ultimately cause the panels to fail.

Havnt seen any streaking in a year. Both do have backlight leakage though so eventually they will be returned because of that.

Just to clarify, with my Dell panels I was seeing the physical deterioration of some layer in the panel, not some transient streaking. I also noticed the backlight leakage which the 2005FPW is noted for, but that really did not bother me.

I have now had my Samsung 204BW's for over a week and am pretty happy. No dead pixels, no problems and they seem brighter than the Dells I had. The Dell had a few extra features and a better stand, but that is nothing I would pay for.

I have not gone through OS X's color calibration yet, but these Samsung panels seemed to have a blueish tint. I just turned down the blue channel in the panels color control panel, but this sort of thing might be an issue for those who need perfect colors.

What I mean is that I wish there was a thread like this for building a Conroe Hackintosh. I mean a thread which started with a post: OK boys and girls, this is how I built my Conroe OSx86 box. Unfortunately at the moment all the info is scattered all over endless threads, and it is often contradictory.

I have a started what I intended to be such a Conroe thread here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

However, I have not yet settled on my parts (thus have not built anything) because my needs are still a little unclear. Now, I am becoming more interested in the upcoming Kentsfield CPU (a quad core with two Conroe is it), but the model I would want, the Q6600, is not supposed to be released until January.

I have a started what I intended to be such a Conroe thread here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

However, I have not yet settled on my parts (thus have not built anything) because my needs are still a little unclear. Now, I am becoming more interested in the upcoming Kentsfield CPU (a quad core with two Conroe is it), but the model I would want, the Q6600, is not supposed to be released until January.

Thanks!

I didn't know about the Q6600, I knew only about the QX6700. The former sounds very interesting, because it should obviously be a lot cheaper, while mantaining enough horsepower.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Bofors,

after not following all the minor "updates" to 10.4.6. and 10.4.7 that still relied on the old kernel the stoke is back with the new 10.4.8 kernels by semthex and mifki. I saw on the thread regarding the new JaS DVD that you're trying your luck as well. As I already used up my download limit for this billing period for the (first) JaS image that had some problems I'd be interested to hear how you're going with JaSser's reseed on this particular setup.

It seems that we can now get some fully supported 3D acceleration with more power than the GMA950 onboard has ...

Cheers

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Bofors, have you tried installing leopard on this setup. I am still running the same set up 2 years later, thanks to you, and I was just wondering if you've tried getting leopard to run on it. So far I've been able to install everything but Leo4all v3 (although I haven't tried v1 or v2).

• 3 months later...
Bofors, have you tried installing leopard on this setup. I am still running the same set up 2 years later, thanks to you, and I was just wondering if you've tried getting leopard to run on it. So far I've been able to install everything but Leo4all v3 (although I haven't tried v1 or v2).

Hi,

running this same setup too. Leopard works fine. I used iatkos r4i (? not sure about the version number). However, there are a few kexts that you need to copy from an older 10.4. installation (maybe 10.4.8, not sure what I used). From memory, I think I had to replace or patch AppleHDA.kext for sound, AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext (or similar name) to enable resolution switching, and IONetworkingFamily.kext to make ethernet work.

I do have one issue with this motherboard though, maybe someone can help? My old PS2 keyboard recently broke and I replaced it with a new Apple Aluminium USB keyboard. The keyboard works fine in Leopard, but I can't use it to enter the Bios settings or to type anything in the Darwin bootloader.

The keyboard only becomes usable once windows or Leo are up and running. I tried the option "Enable USB Legacy Support" in the bios (using a spare PS2 keyboard) but it didn't make any difference. Those of you who have this board: How did you make your USB keyboards work ????