My Site's New Design #3

~pcwiz

Rate my new design #3  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Rate pcwizcomputer.com new design (0-worst 5-best)

50 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

The forum looks terrible in Safari 3 on MacOSX Leopard (see attachment). Also site-wide many of the background images aren't working which makes the site look only half finished. Much of the site (not the forum but everywhere else) has normal text that looks like it's bolded, which looks awful. You may also want to set the line-height for your <p> tags so the lines are more spread out, which will make those long lines of text easier to read.

OT: In your article on PearPC you might want to mention that running OSX on a PC (or anything other than genuine Mac hardware) violates the Terms of Service of the operating system and is therefore just as illegal as downloading the OS from the internet :)

post-168389-1199242103_thumb.jpg

The forum looks terrible in Safari 3 on MacOSX Leopard (see attachment). Also site-wide many of the background images aren't working which makes the site look only half finished. Much of the site (not the forum but everywhere else) has normal text that looks like it's bolded, which looks awful. You may also want to set the line-height for your

tags so the lines are more spread out, which will make those long lines of text easier to read.

OT: In your article on PearPC you might want to mention that running OSX on a PC (or anything other than genuine Mac hardware) violates the Terms of Service of the operating system and is therefore just as illegal as downloading the OS from the internet :blink:

@ozboi

To be honest I don't see any problems with it other than some bold text but does it really look that bad? I wouldn't go as far to say as its "terrible", in fact it doesn't disturb me at all although some others may not agree. The person who made the forum design is called "Bloc" and is renound for making excellent mods and themes for SMF forums and I had no part in making that theme so I have no control over that :)

Can you give me a screenshot of the background images that aren't working? I just took a look at the site in Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Internet Explorer 6 and everything looks fine to me...

The text line size thing is because I have the font on Verdana 9pt. Switching it to 10pt fixes that problem.

@Darrious,

PearPC is not *as* illegal as OSx86 and its only violating one EULA term (running OS X on non Apple hardware) but its using legal copies of OS X so...not too many problems there but I guess I'll add that note.

EDIT: Note added ;)

• 4 weeks later...

pcwiz, I'll be honest, Im not overly keen on the design, when I have some more time I can list some reasons why. Although I have a proposition if you would like, when I have some time I could put together a general layout for you to work from. I could code it but I dont have the time so I can offer the design if you are interested. Give me a little insight as to what you are looking for, I'm personally keen on darker colours, but I think for your target market a lighter colour would be more appropriate as the users are expected to read the content and the black is hard on the eyes.Let me know, just drop me a PM or in hereI have assisted in design of both www.clippitch.com and www.singlesdeluxe.com - my personal site which I am currently revamping is www.qbattersby.com (still deeply in the works)Take a peek

it looks like {censored}, (and im not just saying this because i wish you burn in hell pcwiz). The dark look is really really old, and it just looks plain tacky. i recommend looking at some web design sites to get some ideas about a newer, lighter look. (also dont waste your time making the site 1024x768 compliant, those {censored}s can go burn along with ie6 users), when i was doing some web work all ie6 and 1024x768 did was give me hell, i stopped worrying about older legacy users and my designs and workflow improved greatly. Also, learn some CSS and use it. Have external stylesheets for everything you can, it just makes it easier to update the site and add small tweaks to it.

ps: clippitch looks foul, no offence meant

pps: only dumbasses find school hard

Hey I assisted with clip pitch, I did not create all of the content. And for what it is, it fits. Take a look at one of the most successful online video sites (youtube) and see if you notice and similarities. What works works. Plain and simple. And I never claimed clippitch was a creative genius. I take no offence but I just want to state I never said it was sexy by any means.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the new design is here. Actually, its more than a new design, the entire site has been converted to Joomla! Heres what it looks like now:

joomlanew.jpg

I'm sure mac users will like it :P And everything has been bridged into one login (except for the blog) and into the same interface.

SticMAN,

now it's beginning to look like a REAL website!!!

Well then lets see your genius REAL website ;) jk jk

Anyway, thank you. And it seems that many liked it, I got like 3000 site hits the first day the new design was released.

watch and learn, dear boy, watch and learn.....

http://www.porsche.co.za/

(must add, all the information, videos etc is supplied!)

SticMAN,

Well then lets see your genius REAL website :rolleyes: jk jk

Anyway, thank you. And it seems that many liked it, I got like 3000 site hits the first day the new design was released.

watch and learn, dear boy, watch and learn.....

http://www.porsche.co.za/

(must add, all the information, videos etc is supplied!)

what does that have to do with his current design? you're comparing two completely different target audiences.

I do like the porsche site, but I myself have designed some joomla, and some standard HTML sites that would fit a lot better into the area in which the pcwiz site resides.

It could work, but I can think of a bunch of other examples I've created myself, or that I've seen that would be much better suited.

Next time before you comment, and i have to rub your nose in it.....

We were talikng about web DESIGN not content and target market, DESIGN!!

now go and do your homework!

SticMAN

what does that have to do with his current design? you're comparing two completely different target audiences.

I do like the porsche site, but I myself have designed some joomla, and some standard HTML sites that would fit a lot better into the area in which the pcwiz site resides.

It could work, but I can think of a bunch of other examples I've created myself, or that I've seen that would be much better suited.