Power still on after shutdown Leopard

thy1225

109 posts in this topic

I got reboot/shutdown to work finally... I had to install Netkas' mach_sleep kernel for leopard.

It can be found on the irc.

I'm kind of sad, because I was 100 percent core to apple's environment and with this, I'll need the custom kernel and have to be cautious on apple updates.

Well, it is worth being able to shutdown/reboot...

I had a try with a clean installation today.

I was able to get my 9400 shutdown properly before replacing the appleHDA.kext from 10.4.8, which enables all speaker, subwoofer and microphone.

I tried for several times, whenever I use the original appleHDA.kext from installation, the computer shutdown properly. Whenever I replace the one from10.4.8, it hangs at a black screen with harddisk and bluetooth lights on, which indicates the computer not powered off.

Like swag01 said. I am able to sleep & reboot & shutdown now using Netkas's excellent sleep kernel.

(Thank you so much for this hint, swag01 !!!)

With Vanilla kernel, I've sleep & restart but no luck on shutdown (power stills on).... using Netkas's

AppleACPIPlatform reboot fix available on IRC.

I think I like this mach_sleep kernel much better. At least I can have perfect installation which everything

works now.

I also have nothing to fear about software update either since I'm running this installation on EFI.

... I guess it is quite hard for software update to completely crash my system.. if the kernel get

updated ... all I have to lose it these reboot/shutdown back. :)

Why would you disable a core to get shutdown working? Thats a ridiculous 'solution' isn't it? The trade-off between cores/holding a button down seem completely one-sided. Each to their own :D

Shutdown has started working for me, out of seemingly nothing. It *may* be since I added a genuine Apple keyboard, but then again, it may not. Will test tonight and report any findings.

hello, I agree you sj1069, and i noticed that I have this trouble of shutdown since I use appleHDA to get my sound on

P35-DS4 (ALC 889a), when i disable AZALIA in BIOS , shutdown runs again ( but have no sound !!)

I have to say that I used ToH 10.5 on a GUID +EFI partition, updated in 10.5.1 and i tested the 3 kernels avalaible on IRC and the vanillia one with no success in shuting down.

On my first PC ( see my rig) with GA 81945 + pentium D : no power management problem !

maybe solving it with buying a new sound card and disable azalia in BIOS ( it would be a pity !)

Thanks for the AppleHDA tips, everyone. I'll check if it works for me.

I also have some few observations to share...

1) It seems like Leopard shutdown does something a bit harmful too :( I noticed that everytime I successfully shutdown ... then turn the machine back on within .. something like 1 minutes ... I usually got boot error (Waiting for boot device).... or the AHCI bios won't be able to detect some of my HDD.

This is happenning across reset and power on/off. My solutions is to left it off for a couple of minutes (capacitor to fully discharge ??), then turn on again.

(I'm running P35-DS4 / F8 Bios / Quad core)

2) I have much better chance shutting down using Netkas's sleep kernel. But it fails from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have something interesting to report about shutdowns - I have two rigs,

1)

CPU : Intel E6600

Mobo :ASUS P5B-E-Plus (i965P ICH8-R)

Video : Geforce 8800 GTS

2)

CPU : Intel E2140

Mobo :ASUS P5LD2-SE (i945P ICH7)

Video : Geforce 7600 GT

Now, using the same Leopard Hard Disk, with Leopard ToH RC2 installed and EFI V8 (GUID partition table), on system 1 shutdowns are incomplete, only sometimes they are complete, AND or system 2 shutdowns are ALWAYS COMPLETE AND INSTANTANEOUS. What do you guys make of this ?

yes xstorm , same for me, on my first hack(packard bell), systeme shutdown immediatly and on my second one (P35-DS4) it is not constant. really strange. maybe the10.5.2 update will solve this issue

merry christmas btw to everyone

fred

Interesting... I have P35-DS4 too (rev.2.0) and i don't have problems with shutdown, sleep is working good too. My problem is little different, system hangs on MACH REBOOT while rebooting and i have to press reset button to restart my computer. I have iATKOS installed with PC_EFI v8, vanilla kernel and AppleACPIPlatform and Thermal/CPUPowerManagement kexts removed.

Count me in...after I select shutdown, the system powers down all but the fans...they are still running.

My reboot works fine!

Sleep doesn't work...system goes to sleep, doesn't wake up unless I press power button, and then screen is frozen.

Any solutions for the shutdown problem??

Thanks,

/mdg.

Hey guys, maybe I found a solution, I was having exactly the same problems as all of you on my Gigabyte board. I went into the bios, under Power management and changed the power button from "instant off " to "4 second delay". I used to only shut down about 30% of the time, I have just shut down 10 times on the trot. can someone else give this a go and report back.

That is a shame, it definitely upped the odds of shutting down, in 15 shutdowns I got 1 refusal, so it has not cured it completely but is an improvement. Tiger was never a problem for me, but Leo has been much more difficult.

Hey guys, maybe I found a solution, I was having exactly the same problems as all of you on my Gigabyte board. I went into the bios, under Power management and changed the power button from "instant off " to "4 second delay". I used to only shut down about 30% of the time, I have just shut down 10 times on the trot. can someone else give this a go and report back.

Hello aqua-mac, I’m not at home now so I can’t test this BIOS setting, I’ll try as soon as I come back. Just another question: did you try the last Taruga sound drivers, because I noticed that with it , shutdown ran better, and on the appleHDA section of X Lab topic, the version 2 is in test, maybe a hope for us too ?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74890

xstorm911:

I guess it may be something related to ICH chipset ??

(I also notice that with -v boot option, shutdown has some more chance to complete on my rig... I guess that -v

may provide a bit of extra time for the system to power off ??)

tom3q:

The creator of EFI emulation also created "Reboot fix" which is a file to place in AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Please

check the IRC channel and get it from there. Reboot will be perfect after installing the file.

mdg:

This may helps...

1) Make sure that your system is set to S3 sleep, not S1.

2) If you are using some graphics card with 2 DVI output ports like mine (8800 GTS), your display should be

plugged into the lower port (the one that is closer to the mainboard).

Hi there...

Im having some issues with KALYWAY leopard release... when i sleep my computer is completely shutdown... and when i shut down all goes of less power and fan.

is this something realated with bios settings??

i have my 8800gt attached to the dvi close to the mobo. so that didnt help to me :)

Thanks in advance!!!

Well, I just got this to work...AND sleep!!! :)

I have an Asus P5K Deluxed WiFi. I'll post BIOS settings later, but realized the root of my problem was USB keyboard and mouse.

I plugged my USB keyboard and mouse into my Gateway flat panel LCD monitor (powered hub) instead of in the back on the motherboard, and upon sleep wake up my mouse and keyboard were working.

I then decided to shutdown and immediately realized that for the first time all my fans are off!! Tried again and again, same results!

I wonder if the fan shutdown problem is not linked to USB devices plugged into the motherboard are "not letting go" in simple terms?

Will post more later....

/mdg.

Well, I just got this to work...AND sleep!!! :D

I have an Asus P5K Deluxed WiFi. I'll post BIOS settings later, but realized the root of my problem was USB keyboard and mouse.

I plugged my USB keyboard and mouse into my Gateway flat panel LCD monitor (powered hub) instead of in the back on the motherboard, and upon sleep wake up my mouse and keyboard were working.

I then decided to shutdown and immediately realized that for the first time all my fans are off!! Tried again and again, same results!

I wonder if the fan shutdown problem is not linked to USB devices plugged into the motherboard are "not letting go" in simple terms?

Will post more later....

/mdg.

that didnt work 4 me..

thanks anyway... ;)