Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

Ah, I see that link didn't work. This guide (and I tried 5 or 6 of them here with various results) seems to be the easiest and gave me the best results:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ASUS+P5W+retail

I have a 99% pure install that has not given me a single error! Good Luck.

I appreciate this :P Thx! I'll try that in the next few days, cause I'm busy and I'll post the results here.

Thx again!

Hi, I succesfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my P5W-DH.

Intel core 2 cuad 4 gigs ocz gold ddr800, evga gforce 7300gt 256 megs, maxtor 160 sata2 hd.

Instalation went well installed drivers after that, I got everything working, my sound is a pro Presonus Firepod, instant recognized. This is my hardware overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: BOOT.EFI.V80

Serial Number: CK157KMHK5B

But since is my fourth Leopard instaltion, I got audio drops in itunes, with cds, or my mp3 located on the HD.

Have you know about this?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like the Asus P5W is starting to go out of stock across the internet retailers. Earlier this week newegg deactivated the item.

I've been researching a lot of the motherboards and this one always seems to be the clear winner for working mostly unpatched out-of-the-box.

Do I go with this motherboard even though it seems to be at the end of its life or are there better newer boards out there? Suggestions?

It looks like the Asus P5W is starting to go out of stock across the internet retailers. Earlier this week newegg deactivated the item.

I've been researching a lot of the motherboards and this one always seems to be the clear winner for working mostly unpatched out-of-the-box.

Do I go with this motherboard even though it seems to be at the end of its life or are there better newer boards out there? Suggestions?

I bought mine brand new on eBay from someone and actually saved $50 over what newegg was charging. Those looking for this board might try that. Just remember to check the seller's feedback!

But this also brings up the question, what Asus board is being used to replace the P5W DH Deluxe???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

would it be save to do a bios update on the motherboard or would there be any interference with Leopard? I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 (Combo Update) and my bios is 2206. The current version is 2704. Has anybody tried this or can think this through? My install works pretty well, so I'd hate to mess anything up.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/user/therealfudgemachine

Hi,

would it be save to do a bios update on the motherboard or would there be any interference with Leopard? I'm running Kalyway 10.5.2 (Combo Update) and my bios is 2206. The current version is 2704. Has anybody tried this or can think this through? My install works pretty well, so I'd hate to mess anything up.

Thanks!

Rule of thumb for bios updates: If you don't experience problems related to your mobo bios, don't bother updating! :)

But on the other hand it should always be possible to downgrade. So why not giving it a try and tell us how well it worked? :)

Greetz

Catw3azle

Hi,

Thanks!

IIRC, I am running bios version 2602. I tried 2704 and it did not work properly for me, so I reverted back to 2602 and it works fine.

Through software update?

NO! Already heard that method does not work. I screwed up my install and had to redo everything last night. Search for the method to update to 10.5.2 for this board, the procedure is the same.

PS: is anyone on this thread going the full vanilla route with EFI strings on your ASUS P5W DH Deluxe? I have my 8800GT-512 nvidia graphics card working great but need help with audio and ethernet.

Through software update?

I haven't done it yet -- waiting on an update for my graphics card -- but these instructions worked fine for 10.5.2, and are now labeled for 10.5.3, too. http://netkas.org/?p=50

Unrelated to the upgrade, I have a question. Does anyone have a problem with their computer mysteriously coming out of sleep mode? My sleep works fine, but it will wake up on its own either minutes or hours after put to sleep. Sometimes when it does this it'll lock up on wake. I assume it's my USB optical mouse "moving" but I didn't see anywhere in the BIOS to disable wake up on USB. any suggestions?

I haven't done it yet -- waiting on an update for my graphics card -- but these instructions worked fine for 10.5.2, and are now labeled for 10.5.3, too.

http://netkas.org/?p=50

Thx!

Unrelated to the upgrade, I have a question. Does anyone have a problem with their computer mysteriously coming out of sleep mode? My sleep works fine, but it will wake up on its own either minutes or hours after put to sleep. Sometimes when it does this it'll lock up on wake. I assume it's my USB optical mouse "moving" but I didn't see anywhere in the BIOS to disable wake up on USB. any suggestions?

Actually, I don't use sleep, but I think the reason is, as you said, mouse or keyboard. Asus on their MOBOs has "feature" that USB ports are always powered, no matter what are you set in BIOS. You can only try to change the jumper for USB power (I think it's called +5VSB or smth like that). Look in the manual for that...

I tried using the Kalyway's installer that I found on the little green monster but had no luck. And yes I followed the directions. Not sure if I want to go through restoring my system for a third time so I'll wait for more confirmations.

How does it work with ATI cards? Also, will I have to redo my efi strings?

Anyone had any success with the Kalyway 10.5.3 Updater found on the bay?

If so, did you use any of the new kernals? and which one?

Or... Has anyone tried the JAS version on the green demon?

Thanks

alf

Hello

I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe, Quad Q6600 4GB ram and a XFX 8600GT videocard. Without installing any videocard drivers i get a 1024x768 image (which is no good ..) and if i install NVinstaller (tried version 0.33 and 0.41) after reboot i get a blank screen.

I used Kalyway and Leo4all for the install. Anybody any ideas what to do?

Greetinx

Atze

Ok, i switched the vidcard with a 7300GT which works fine! Some other things, my soundconnections at the back aren't working. The frontconnection is working? Any ideas

Seconds, somebody seen any change to get the asus remote working? This would be great!

WELL Somebody explane to me why after the kalyway 10.5.3 update, i get the YELLOW HARD DISK ICONS in DESKTOP? (removable HD)HOW TO FIX IT??? HELP??SATA system profiler:Vendor: Intel Product: ICH7-R AHCI Speed: 3.0 Gigabit Description: AHCI Version 1.10 SupportedMaxtor 6V250F0: Capacity: 233,76 GB Model: Maxtor 6V250F0SEEMS OK BUT I GET YELLOW ICONS IN DESKTOP!! HELP ME PLS!for the rest all is working fine, i had to reinstall the video drivers after deleted all the kexts about gforce and NVxxx :) then reinstall NVinstaller1.41 and i had back the QE/CI.Solved it i put the old 10.5.2 kexts...AppleAHCIand IOAHCIfamilyi forgot the IoAHCIfamily....... :)now is fixed..

don´t cry, yellow is nice :) ... if you wish another HD Icon ... download one, there are enaugh nice HD Icons for Mac on the Web and copy it, open your Disk with Command+I and click on the yellow Icon, than paste it and you will have that Icon you want to have ;-)

@Atze de Vries

installing NVInstaller is not enaugh, this will not overwrite the existing Kexts, you have to use Pacifist to install NVInstaller ... that works !

Why should be a change in APPLE 10.5.3 concerning an Asus Remote Control ? :o