Asus P5K-SE

xlars

121 posts in this topic

2xlars - better way to create a full tree for every device!

Gentelman, tks for sharing these data. Sadly, 50-60 somenthing in Xbench HD test is not very good. Mind you, is 50% less than the test machine. Which machine is that?

cheers

Ric

Results 42.18

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3120813AS

Disk Test 42.18

Sequential 70.56

Uncached Write 76.99 47.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 98.52 55.74 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 40.59 11.88 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 112.20 56.39 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 30.08

Uncached Write 9.76 1.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 89.82 28.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 85.80 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.61 23.86 MB/sec [256K blocks]

VIAATA kext patch for 1-4 ports and onboard PATA

Test for 1SATA port

Results 38.16

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.11 (8S2167)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3120813AS

Disk Test 38.16

Sequential 65.64

Uncached Write 69.40 42.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 72.15 40.82 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 43.55 12.74 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 103.07 51.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 26.90

Uncached Write 8.44 0.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 90.98 29.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 87.03 0.62 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.31 23.81 MB/sec [256K blocks]

ApplePIIXATA patch the same 1port

Hi everyone,

I have already installed Vista in sata1:partition1 and Tiger 10.4.10 in sata1:partition2 using ChaOSX86 succesfully. I'm trying to boot an already BrazilMac patched Leopard and I'm having "cannot find root device problem" during boot time. I'm using the P5K SE and my dvd is on IDE channel.

xlars: i see we're having the same configuration... why I can't boot the leopard DVD??? Can you help me???

________

ASUS P5K SE

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

WD 400GB SATA 2

PLEXTOR IDE DVD-R

nVidia 8800GTS 640MB

Quixote,

DVD sata must be in SATA 1 port (though ChaOSX86 allows you to use a DVD ide, but Leo will not -not sure, I have not tested it-). Anyhow, try to erase Vista from partition 1 and format it as HFS+.

OSX hd (for both Tiger and Leo) must be in SATA 2 port.

Vista/XP hd in SATA 3 ó 4

My advise: Use different HDs for different operating systems. Its the safest or you get the risk to loose everything. Use a HD for Vista/XP and another HD for Tiger/Leo. I use a third HD ide for Linux (Ubuntu 7.10)

Today I installed PC EFI 5.1 from Netkas and it was a dream to see Tiger upgrade from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 directly using "Software update..." from Apple! :-)

Tiger (10.4.11) and Leo (10.5.1) both using EFI with P5K-SE and CoreQuad. A dream come true :-) Big thanks to Netkas!

Thanx xlars.

I will give it a try and put my hard disk on sata 2. At this time I have erased Vista and i'm having only tiger 10.4.10. I hope my IDE dvd won't be a problem though...

One more silly question: "still waiting for root device" message during boot time refers to the dvd drive or the hd???

quixote.

>

"still waiting for root device" message during boot time refers to the dvd drive or the hd???

>

It refers to the hd. It can't find it.

In fact, Leo could find it, as once you patch VIAATA as decribed above, OSX can access it. But that would require a modified Leo setup DVD

ChaOSX86 has included such modification (Marvell controller id), thats why you can use a DVD ide to install Tiger.

> if the "still waiting for root device" refers to hd then why the problem is the IDE DVD??

Because both can be managed by the Marvell controller. Leo setup DVD hasn't the Marvell controller id into it, and ChaOSX86 has it. When you use a DVD sata then you are using a different controller.

> Can I patch VIAATA through my existing Tiger Install or should I use a different Leo install DVD?

I think you can restore the Leo DVD to a hd partition and then install from there. So you don't use a DVD to install :-) After installation, you modify VIAATA and you will be able to use the DVD ide :-)

My advise is to have three partitions on the OSX hd: first for Tiger, second for Leo and third for

testing, saving files, etc (in your case to install Leo). The darwin bootloader will let you boot from any of them

Results 42.18

VIAATA kext patch for 1-4 ports and onboard PATA

Test for 1SATA port

Results 38.16

ApplePIIXATA patch the same 1port

Tks a lot for these results. Appreciated.

Just for comparison, take a look at HD performance on one of my old systems (Asus P5LD2-VM/PentiumD 930 CD/2 Gigs ). The HD speed is great. But the machine score overall is below 100 because is an old processor. If I could get one of the new motherboards to perform like these!

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.7 (8J2135)

Disk Test 111.92

Sequential 128.84

Uncached Write 145.25 89.18 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 132.82 75.15 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 108.66 31.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 134.62 67.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 98.92

Uncached Write 96.08 10.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 87.08 27.88 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 92.23 0.65 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 129.81 24.09 MB/sec [256K blocks]

cheerrs

Ric

For those that want to modify the kext themselves and don't use a patch, this is the required change in:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

IOKitPersonalities

VIA SATA Controller

IOPCIPrimaryMatch ... (add these values) 0x612111ab 0x29218086 0x29268086

where 0x612111ab is for Marvell, and 0x29218086 (SATA 1,2) 0x29268086 (SATA 3,4)

I've downloaded the original Leo DVD Img and the brasilMac Patch 9a581 separately this time. As far as I've understood, I have to apply the above changes in the patched-Leo dvd img before i boot into it otherwise i get the "still waiting for root device" error message. Before I apply the brasilMac patch where should I go to make the changes in the folders of the patch itself???

I find a lot of candidate file entries in the folders

..\BrazilMac-9a581-Patch\leopatch\ext\AppleVIAATA.kext\Contents\Info.plist

..\BrazilMac-9a581-Patch\files\extensions\AppleVIAATA.kext\Contents\Info.plist

..\BrazilMac-9a581-Patch\__MACOSX\files\extensions\AppleVIAATA.kext\Contents\Info.plist

......so on

Any help would be appreciated...

Hello guys. I just tryied to install MAC OS X 10.4.10 Everything seems to be all right,i choosed the language,and after this,license agreement,and the bad part is after that,when i see this message "SELECT A DESTINATION VOLUME TO INSTALL MAC SOFTWARE" and to the left are those options : INTRODUCTION--LICENSE--SELECT DESTINATION" . Please,someone tell me what do i have to do. What's wrong with the hdd? (i have 2 hdd,one is SAMSUNG-sata ,set as disk 0-windows xp,and the second is Excel Stor-sata-hdd1,it's empty) and booth are NTFS format. If someone knows how to fix this problem,please help me. Thanks in advance. Sorry for my bad english.

Installed succesful,but when i boot from hdd1(where MACOSX 10.4.10 installed is) nothing happent. I have no ideea why.What can i make,to fix it? Is there any options? Please,help me,guys. Thanks a lot,i'll try to search other forums,as well.

Thanks for your help,xlars. But i think im not a lucky guy. :P I have installed on my hdd the MAC OS X 10.4.10,and i have no ideea what's wrong.

What error do you get ?

Have you used ChaOSX86 5 from irc.osx86.hu channel ChaOSX86 ?

Back again. I installed.I changed the hdd. It's a very nice OS (it's first time for me,using os x). Now i have to look for the Nvidia driver (8600 GT ) I tryied to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024,but i cannot. Or,can i install the resolutin,whitout installing the video driver? And i have no sound,as well,but thats not to bad. I will keep searching about how to change the resolution.

Back again. I installed.I changed the hdd. It's a very nice OS (it's first time for me,using os x). Now i have to look for the Nvidia driver (8600 GT ) I tryied to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024,but i cannot. Or,can i install the resolutin,whitout installing the video driver? And i have no sound,as well,but thats not to bad. I will keep searching about how to change the resolution.

Install AppleAzalia package from the ChaOSX86 setup DVD for the sound

Also try to install Titan package (from the ChaOSX86 setup DVD) for the nvidia driver

I installed those packages,but i still haven't sound and can't change the screen resolution. May i ask you if it's possible now,when i have allready installed 10.4.10,to install Leo over Tiger? I visited a lot a forums,and i hink there is no chance for my videocard,to get a driver. ;):( If i could change the resolution,i'll be happy,even without the sound. Thanks for your replyes.I will keep searching.

hye there..i also have asus pfk-se mobo with core 2 duo 2.33 processor and nivdia geforce 8600GT and 2gb of ram.i wanna install mac os on my pc.but i didnt know hot to do it.so please anyone post for tutorial to install mac os on asus p5k-se mobo.if possible please include how to dual boot.i really noob for this.thank you.