Is this illegal?:

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am planning to create a page and locally host all the OSx86 Hardware Drivers on my website. Is uploading OSx86 hardware drivers and allowing people to download them illegal? I'm pretty sure its not copyright violation because Apple didn't make the drivers.

Is it illegal?

thanx

well, unless they are apple's official drivers modified (as AppleHDA or AppleAzalia with edited vendor-id) they are probably legal, unofficial drivers exists since before osx86 was even a thought, they provided support to pc GPUs and peripherals that weren't mac-ready. so, as long as the device exists as an expansion card or peripheral (any device built in the motherboard isn't valid if no expansion card or peripheral version exists logically) it should be completely legal. Also, I don't know US laws, but here, reverse engineering is legal if it's for compatibility/coexistence purposes.

What's with all this "is it legal" bullsh*t these days?

First off: That depends on the legislature if YOUR country.

If you're american, your SOOL -thanks to your dumbass "copyright" laws. Here in Austria, there's nothing to fear, though, since we don't have anything like a DMCA, we don't even have a Copyright - it's called "Urheberrecht" (literally " The right of the one who made it first"), but it does *not* forbit derivative works. So there.

To be honest I was having the same idea, it was more going to be like a client program that looks in the system profile gets the vendor and device ID's of the hardware and uploads this to a server which packages the drivers in an installation package.

Sort OSX update program.

Question of legality, well it's all immatrial anyway since OSX86 isn't a legally licensed OS!!

:unsure::lol: :lol: