9a527 is here

63 posts in this topic

This is awesome! I can't believe they've made everything *even* faster. Yay for Apple!

We're all very excited for this release! Thanks for the pictures! I really hope they keep the Aqua scrollbars, looks like they're on the way out, with iTunes and now iPhoto having lost them. (I use Aguat for Aqua iTunes)

Anyway...the new features look so yummy, it scarcely matters... I'm especially happy about the improved performance, better threading, core animation and everything being faster, (like I said)

I recently re-installed Mac OS X on my PC, I used Uphuck 1.4i over my old 10.4.7 patched to 10.4.9 which had a lot of {censored} and ppc stuff from a firewire transfer. I can't believe how fast it's running! I saw Vista running on my mate's C2D laptop and I nearly laughed out loud! It's so slow!

Leopard is gonna pwn Vista

Thanks for the pics! (More, more! :D)

There's been almost nothing reported about how Leopard handles Spotlight searches; glad to see they abandoned Tiger's frustrating, limboish Spotlight search window. Still no GUI for handling Boolean searches, though...?

It looks like it's coming together pretty nicely, though I wonder how developers will deal with the loss of InputManager. I will be very sad if I can't get SafariBlock running.

Two questions:

- Does iTunes in Leopard use the old traffic lights?

- What does the new Download folder look like? Previously it was a green circle and now I can only spot a dull little grey box in the Finder screenshot.

Apple has to do a lot of GUI work, but they will get it right eventually.

Disclaimer: I don't have 527 yet and I'm making assumptions based on the above screenshots. (Thanks for those, BTW)

-----I would assume so. Like the smoothing of the metal in 9A410, the change was made system wide so even third-party apps were affected (or infected, if you don't like smooth metal)

- What does the new Download folder look like? Previously it was a green circle and now I can only spot a dull little grey box in the Finder screenshot.

-----The Downloads icon I saw looked like the "Close Stacks" icon in the dock. Open your Downloads stack and you'll see what I mean. I don't think Apple would have changed the icon for the actual folder (the one you see in your home directory).

And now, for a question of my own: Does 527 use CoreUI? As in can you change the menubar by editing

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Images/menubar.png

?

Disclaimer: I don't have 527 yet and I'm making assumptions based on the above screenshots. (Thanks for those, BTW)

-----I would assume so. Like the smoothing of the metal in 9A410, the change was made system wide so even third-party apps were affected (or infected, if you don't like smooth metal)

-----The Downloads icon I saw looked like the "Close Stacks" icon in the dock. Open your Downloads stack and you'll see what I mean. I don't think Apple would have changed the icon for the actual folder (the one you see in your home directory).

And now, for a question of my own: Does 527 use CoreUI? As in can you change the menubar by editing

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Images/menubar.png

?

Smooth metal is indeed implemented system wide, but some apps do ignore it's rules. iTunes 7 is one of them.

Regarding the Download icon, check this out: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=643373822&size=o

Two questions:

Yes. iTunes still does not use the standard UI after all these years. Damn baggage ;)

Yes, the Apple supplied Download folder has a green circle. The "dull grey box" is my old download folder, which is located in the Users/Shared folder.

Smooth metal is indeed implemented system wide, but some apps do ignore it's rules. iTunes 7 is one of them.

Regarding the Download icon, check this out: http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=643373822&size=o

Thanks for correcting me. I guess I was wrong on both. But the above Flickr shot looks like it's from 499, as I don't see the new stoplight icons. Or am I wrong again? Maybe I should just stop posting until I actually get 527.

Yes. iTunes still does not use the standard UI after all these years. Damn baggage ;)

Yes, the Apple supplied Download folder has a green circle. The "dull grey box" is my old download folder, which is located in the Users/Shared folder.

lol, i just saw that, yes itunes does use the old traffic lights. btw spotlight is fast. way faster than tiger. even if the search was "a" with 4800 results in my case, it is still less than 1/2 second in my opinion. even the search "." has 13855 is still less than 1/2 second, someone at apple did something right.

No ZFS info. I suspect it'll be seen on Server first. The ZFS beta seed that Apple shipped at WWDC was really kinda bad. It, like resolution independence, is getting pushed out of consumer feature land for the time being until more work is done on it.

No ZFS info. I suspect it'll be seen on Server first. The ZFS beta seed that Apple shipped at WWDC was really kinda bad. It, like resolution independence, is getting pushed out of consumer feature land for the time being until more work is done on it.

Ok, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Works really nice on my PowerBook G4 1.5ghz (I had to disable Airport in order to make it less buggy as I read here)... :P

Managed to update easily from Tiger to 9a527!

tn_leopard02.jpg

yes, airport has made my powerbook unstable here too. but that is not the biggest of my issues, on my mbp, a memory leak in syslogd makes it consume one of my cores. but thats not enough for syslogd, it has to *switch* the core that it takes control of. it usually goes away, but when it doesnt, its quite annoying ;)

No Airport problems here fortunately... it finally remembers my home hidden network using WPA Personal authentication! The Spotlight field on the other hand refuses to appear when attempting to access it from the menu bar. Any known fixes for this? Aside from this, I'd have to say 9A527 is impressively snappy on my trusty 'ol TiBook! By the way, how about they update the battery icon in the menu bar already!? That seems to be last one that needs to be Leopard-fied. ;)

9A527.png

Hey Numberz...

It's a screenshot from my 1GHz PowerBook G4 (titanium) which is why there is a L3 cache. AFAIK they actually haven't included a Level 3 cache in a PowerBook/MBP since the TiBooks.

The Quicktime file in the Finder window is actually 770MB, open in Quicklook, and is being accessed from a network drive, so that's why the icon was acting a little flakey.

:)

Hey Numberz...

It's a screenshot from my 1GHz PowerBook G4 (titanium) which is why there is a L3 cache. AFAIK they actually haven't included a Level 3 cache in a PowerBook/MBP since the TiBooks.

The Quicktime file in the Finder window is actually 770MB, open in Quicklook, and is being accessed from a network drive, so that's why the icon was acting a little flakey.

:D

lolz im a newb. xD but even tho its 770 MB and being accessed from a network drive, it should show up in cover flow :D

No Airport problems here fortunately... it finally remembers my home hidden network using WPA Personal authentication! The Spotlight field on the other hand refuses to appear when attempting to access it from the menu bar. Any known fixes for this? Aside from this, I'd have to say 9A527 is impressively snappy on my trusty 'ol TiBook! By the way, how about they update the battery icon in the menu bar already!? That seems to be last one that needs to be Leopard-fied. :)

9A527.png

The Spotlight menu refuses to show up on my iBook, too, but it works well on my CoreDuo iMac. Beside that, everything is good except some little bugs here and there (that anyway need to be fixed before gm).

I'd also like to see iTunes/iPhoto scrollbars instead of the Aqua ones that look definitely out of place with the new interface changes.

ps. iScroll 2 does install but does not work, nor does Kismac.

The Spotlight menu refuses to show up on my iBook, too, but it works well on my CoreDuo iMac. Beside that, everything is good except some little bugs here and there (that anyway need to be fixed before gm).

I'd also like to see iTunes/iPhoto scrollbars instead of the Aqua ones that look definitely out of place with the new interface changes.

ps. iScroll 2 does install but does not work, nor does Kismac.

id also like the black scrollbars like what cover flow has, that would be awesome.

EDIT: teh 1337n3ss!