How to install OSX on Inspiron 1420 and 1520

cyberslice

78 posts in this topic

Here is what I have found so far if it helps.

I have a Vostro 1500 (Inspiron 1520 equiv)

2 GB RAM

NVidia 8400M 128mb

1680x1050 screen

Intel Wireless N (4965 I believe).

The machine has 4 partitions:

128MB linux boot (Fedora 7)

30GB OS/X

4GB linux swap

120GB+ linux ext3 data partition

I use grub to choose the boot

In order tio get the system to boot reliably you need to put the koolkal 10.4.10 kernel onto it. Getting there is half the fun...

I find that the uphuck 1.4 (both r2 and r3) will almost never boot. I had to load JaS 10.4.8 to get osx loaded at all, and even then I could only get the kernel to boot without an ACPI fault about 1 out of every 5 tries.

From there I loaded the packages I needed from the uphuck DVD: nvidia mobile, ACPI, 802.11 and so forth, plus the iwi4965 kext. Then I did the 10.4.10 upgrade.

Now the machine will boot fine with -x, but with a normal boot will have a kernel panic just after the desktop blue background is drawn. I have to start removing kextx from the extensions folder to see which one is killing me unless someone knows what the osx equivilent to /var/log/messages in linux would be.

RT

I done with Uphuck install well on machine?

on boot doesnt give anything hangs at Domain find option

I wait for 30 mins nothing happen after that

so i change dual core to single, but doent help

any ideas

Hmmm!!!

I install Uphuck and well done.

Boot after installation ,hang up at Adding domain .....

After that need to hard reset!!!!

I tried to install again , i get message saying you need to reboot your machine. hit power button etc....

Does anyone have Idea on this?

Am i missing something.....

I just realized that there was a more official thread for the 14xx 15xx dell laptops so I'll post here as well:

1. Be sure that the SATA is set for ATA and not AHCI

2. Boot with: platform=X86PC -v -x

3. pray a lot

I got JaS 10.4.8 to finally load on a vostro 1500. no good video, sound or network yet.

Thanks a lot!! The -x was the ticket for me, although out of 10 bootup attempts with the DVD, it still will panic 5 or 6 times. I was just persistent and varied the flags (always keeping -x in) and finally got it installed

My specs are as follows:

Inspiron 1520 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (4MB cache/2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB), English

Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm

Monitor 15.4 inch UltraSharp ™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™ (1680x1050)

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA ®GeForce™8600M GT

Hard Drive 250G 5400RPM SATA HDD

Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Sound Card High Definition Audio 2.0

Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

Camera Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam

The settings I used are:

10.4.9 1.4i R3 Installation Settings

- v1.4i main

- Log Window

- nVidia Mobility

- Sata Driver

- USB driver

- Azalia Audio

- Power management Bundle

- Intel Speedstep

- Intel Pro/100 VE

- All applications Checked

Now my sound doesn't work and my video is a bit screwy (I cannot move the windows around as they leave trails and the graphocs wash, but it is functional I adopt no scrolling habits but use the immediate click to get up and down the scroll bar).

Wireless surprisingly works like a charm. Just went to Airport, selected other, put in my SSID, turned on WEP, put my key in (added my mac address to my access point's access list), and presto, she DHCP'd herself silly. I then went and setup a manual IP on my network through the Network Utility prog and changed to manual entries which also worked nicely (I don't have dhcp turned on - I just turned it on to test this out).

Wonder when the support will come out for the 8600m? That's the card that's in the mid range macbook pros so I can't see it being too long from now.

Hmmm!!!

I install Uphuck and well done.

Boot after installation ,hang up at Adding domain .....

After that need to hard reset!!!!

I tried to install again , i get message saying you need to reboot your machine. hit power button etc....

Does anyone have Idea on this?

Am i missing something.....

Interrupt the bootup and specify the following:

Boot: platform=X86PC -v -x

Using the -v will show you the console output instead of just graphically saying you need to reboot. You can determine if you are having a kernel panic or something else is amiss. These set of switches did it for me, although like I mentioned in my previous post I still would get kernel panics, so I would vary the switches and try booting again.

Good Luck.

Cal

That Doesnt help at all

i tried with your instructions installation was Very good and after that i gor Restart message @ every boot

so i tried boot:platform=x86pc -v -x

doesnt help got hang

pls have look

post-110235-1188129852_thumb.jpg

post-110235-1188129884_thumb.jpg

That Doesnt help at all

i tried with your instructions installation was Very good and after that i gor Restart message @ every boot

so i tried boot:platform=x86pc -v -x

doesnt help got hang

pls have look

when i was installing upduck osx86, i had that restart issue too. i just took out the dvd and clean it and make sure my laptop is in a upright position so the drive can read it properly. i think the software is just overly sensetive. if that doesn't work, i think you might have to reburn your osx86 and do it at a slow speed.

btw; anyone working on getting audio to with sigmatel 9205 on dell vostro 1500? i am dying w/o sound.

also, anyone working on gf8 driver for osx86? i am sure it will fix our screen tearing issue.

Shhhhh..

Finally i have succesfull installation of Mac on Dell Inspiron 1420

few bugs are still there

like sound,Wireless,Ethernet but atlease I am Happy that i can Install Mac on dell 1420

Does anyone has luck to find Wireless/Sound drivers for this machine?

Cheers!!!!

I'm glad I ran upon this topic! I had practically given up trying to get it working on a Vostro 1500 (which I wanted to try to see if the Core2Duo would work better than in my E1705)!

Let's keep this one going...we need video drivers, sound drivers, and ethernet drivers for the LAN, right?

Thanks to everyone for all your bits of information!

Me too, Cant wait long enough

If Developers are ready to develop Wireless /Audio Drivers then lets pay them

Start donating developer Guys!!!

If any developer is reading this Thread and ready to develop Drivers patches please let us know so we can pay off

We have to wait and watch ,its after all times GAME...

Cheers

I think there is Wireless Driver realease for PROSet/Wireless 4965a/g/n

I didnt try that but if someone does pls post your comment

Download link is Here

Didnt work for me unforunately

When i rebooted it kept grey screening on startup and i will have to reinstall

i have a couple questions

1) is there any way to create a partition outside of windows so it can be used without erasing the dell media-direct partition???

2) if you erase the dell media-direct partition, what will the Home button do?

3) (in theory, not sure) if the home button will have no function after erasing the media direct partition, why not just use partition magic or Acronis to resize and reformat the partition so when you press the button, it will boot directly to mac without it needing a boot selector?? or is that not possible

4) if none of the above a possible how would you do this with JaS 10.4.8 + Jas 10.4.9 Combo update? should i just follow the instructions on the first post or should i just attempt install and cross my fingers :P ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a Dell 1420 and I successfully installed OSx86. I am trying to edit the file com.apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. It's not letting me do it, every time I try to save changes it tells me it can't save or overwrite because it’s a read only file. So I can't make the changes I need to increase the screen resolution, please help thank you.

Alex