How to install OSX on Inspiron 1420 and 1520

cyberslice

78 posts in this topic

2) if you erase the dell media-direct partition, what will the Home button do?

3) (in theory, not sure) if the home button will have no function after erasing the media direct partition, why not just use partition magic or Acronis to resize and reformat the partition so when you press the button, it will boot directly to mac without it needing a boot selector?? or is that not possible

Apparentley you dont need the partitoin for media direct. i deleted it and the home button still starts-up media direct.

hogcia

Go to SystemConfiguration Folder and with the right button click it.

And you can see "get info", now look Ownership&permissions. Can change the permissions there.

Thats all

I have a Dell Vostro 1400 essentially the same as the Inspiron 1420... I've been trying for days to get OSX to work. The closest I got was using VMware and hacking the OSX installation... but then all I got stuck at an infinitely loading grey screen and Apple logo.

THIS post may do the trick so I'll try following the instrunctions posted here and let you know how I get on. Great work anyway... I stumbled upon this post this afternoon and it inspired me to have another go at cracking my Dell ; )

cheers :D

It worked great... I used a slightly different Uphuck version 10.4.9 1.4i-r2. I haven't treid to get anything working though so more work. I can't change the graphics rez with the com.apple.boot.plist file... it just gets ignored.

Oh and importantly OSX won't boot if I change the ATA setting back to ACHI and Flash Memory module enabled. But it's a good start. I'll try another install with the uphuck version you propose here...perhaps that will fix this problem... now all I gotta do is find it ; )

;)

Apparentley you dont need the partitoin for media direct. i deleted it and the home button still starts-up media direct.

Sure it needs it, without it doesn´t work.

I'm in XPS M1330, almost all devices are the same as the 1420 and 1520, check my rigs at my sig.

The effort of getting Wireless on Intel cards is still going, but the only one that it is working does not allows you to select secured nets.

So change your internal card to a Dell 1490 or 1500 that has a Broadcom chip, it will be recognized as Airport card.

Wired Ehternet Broadcom 59xx does not have driver on Mac OS X, if you need Wired conecction use a USB to Ethernet adapter, I'm using a Linksys one, there is a driver for it search at the WIKI page.

I'm Planning to get one Dell 1500 Wireless card, meanwhile I'm Using a 3com USB to WiFi adapter (Zydas chipset).

As for sound I can only get from the headphones jack with the AppleHDA Patcher and dump from Linux sound. It needs a driver to get sound from speakers, even the Micorosoft Vista Driver and the Linux "standard" driver has the same problem.

Graphics: you don't get QE/CI until devs realize how to do it with other 8xxx cards than 8800.

EDIT:

BTW, I installed with JAS 10.4.8 DVD

I didn'nt need to change SAT to ATA in BIOS.

That's Really gr8 to know Dell 1500 Wireless card works.

Second thing did you install Jas 10.4.8 on Dell 1420 I read somewhere only 10.4.9 which is Uphuck version is able to install on this machines?

I did try to install Jas on 1420 but I think I had some error I dont rem exactly what it was?

anyway if you had success with 10.4.8 I relly prefer to install on my machine (can you provide some additional info for successful installation? Appreciate)

It's really good to know someone is working on WiFi /Volume stuff?

It is worth to wait or buy new Dell 1500 Wireless card?

Cheers!

No, I didn't install jas on 1420, I did on a XPS M1330 that has almost same components on 1420 and 1520 except for WiFi Card, the XPS has the 3945 and the 1420 or 1520 has the 4965.

The only trick I did to install was that I ejected the DVD when the booting process got stuck, then inmediatly re-inserted the DVD.

I tried one more time With Jas 10.4.8 on 1420 it gives me Boot error message after complete installation.

Installation was GOOD. after that I got Restart error message saying you need to restart your machine/ hold down power key etc...

So i given up on 10.4.8?

Huuuuuuuuuuussshhhh

How come I can install uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i on my Dell 1420 but I can’t install other versions like the new mac.nub 10.4.10 version? Anyone know? Thanks, Lex

Dell Inspiron 1420 with Uphuck 10.4.9 v10.4i R2

Processor : Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300

Physical Memory : 4GB DDR2-SDRAM

Video Card : 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

160GB SATA Hard Drive

Wireless Card : Intel 4965AGN Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card

Network Card : Broadcom

My wireless is working, but I have no audio out and when I scroll in some apps the display doesn't update properly. For example, on this site I have to scroll with spacebar or page up/page down to keep the pages displaying normally. Is this something caused by lack of QE/CI?

Btw: Youtube videos work for me.

• 1 month later...

Well,

I've managed to install osx from up uphuck 10.4.9

I have a Dell inspiron 1520 with a geforce 8600gt 256mb, apparently i have the 9205 sigmatel integrated audio chipset and... the basic wireless card that comes with it. as far as i can tell, bluetooth is working, so is wireless, but no sound or video recognition. Now, as far as I can tell, NO ONE has yet solved these issues, but it is on their to do list... apparently. Nevertheless, despite the few bugs and visual glitches, it seems that i get better performance and less lag and or latency is this hacked OSX thatn in VISTA! (geez, what's that say about vista!).

Anyhoot, I had a big problem while installing, I could not see a partition to install on during the OSX install, if you have the same problem, just go to disk utility, and erase your MAX OSX partition you created in Vista or XP and give it a new name. VOILA!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...