850 replies to this topic

ilostmyunicorn

ilostmyunicorn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the great driver. =)

I am now able to access the AirPort option in Network Preferences, and the wifi strength seems to be excellent, but I cannot view any wireless networks for some reason. :) Laptop wireless is the Broadcom BCM94311MCG model.

I should also note that under the System Profiler I am not actually able to view any information regarding the make of my wireless adapter. o,o It only says that it's a Third Party Wireless Card.

enemix

enemix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've noticed nobody has said anything about any firmware required to get the bcm4311 up and running, or is the firmware shipped with the driver?

To get wifi running in linux i had to get the firmware from the windows driver so the linux driver could initiate it.

My question is, may these problems getting the bcm43xx cards running be because of a lack of firmware?

xavitron2

xavitron2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much! My Belkin F5D7000 runs fine now ;)
I have had to put a password into my account to make the command "sudo" worked.

Mac os Leo is fantastic. I'll share with my win and kubuntu.

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Un*x-like systems, PCs, Scripting and Programming

I've noticed nobody has said anything about any firmware required to get the bcm4311 up and running, or is the firmware shipped with the driver?

To get wifi running in linux i had to get the firmware from the windows driver so the linux driver could initiate it.

My question is, may these problems getting the bcm43xx cards running be because of a lack of firmware?

Don't think so. The firmware is included in the driver from Apple.
Linux is a different story: the firmware is not opensource and can therefore not be shipped by default.

enemix

enemix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Don't think so. The firmware is included in the driver from Apple.
Linux is a different story: the firmware is not opensource and can therefore not be shipped by default.

Oh, well, that sounds reasonable. However some of the problems described, e.g. card is detected but cannot scan for networks very much reminds me of the "missing firmware" problem in linux. Could it be that the firmware is not properly uploaded in some cases?

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Could it be that the firmware is not properly uploaded in some cases?

Could be. But think of the whole thing: Apple made a driver for the Broadcom chipsets they use. Now we use Apple's driver and tell it to support much more chipsets (this is what my script does). Since the driver is not supposed to support all of these chipsets in the first place you are lucky if your wireless card is working with the driver.
I know that the new Linux driver requires different firmware for different chipsets (b43 and b43legacy), but the old one did not. I don't know what would happen if you would try to use newer firmware. But I am pretty sure that the Apple driver cannot use V4-broadcom firmware. Getting a different V3-firmware could be possible but I don't think it would help. You could try though. Tiger users could try the firmware from the Leopard kext, that should work.

You might want to check out this for firmware download locations.

- mcsmart

amclives

amclives

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
do you delete the network preferences file and install the package that is on the forum for the broadcom and it will fix itself or do you have to do it by code? does anyone know why my pc wont start without the mac install dvd in the drive?

enemix

enemix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have this little evil problem, my card is a 4311, the drivers loads without complaints, but the card is not visible anywhere, neither in Networks nor in System Profiler, all it says is "No information found."

It could be a "soft" hardware on/off switch, i have this little button with a led and it's not lit. In linux it works without any hardware tinkering. Do you think I will have to "tape the pin 20" or something to get it up and running?

But shouldn't it at least show up somewhere even when it's not "online"? In linux even if the led is unlit the card is at least shown in ifconfig.

VooD

VooD

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

I have this little evil problem, my card is a 4311, the drivers loads without complaints, but the card is not visible anywhere, neither in Networks nor in System Profiler, all it says is "No information found."

It could be a "soft" hardware on/off switch, i have this little button with a led and it's not lit. In linux it works without any hardware tinkering. Do you think I will have to "tape the pin 20" or something to get it up and running?

But shouldn't it at least show up somewhere even when it's not "online"? In linux even if the led is unlit the card is at least shown in ifconfig.

I have the same problem with a 4312 card, and did the pin20 and swap slot trick with no luck. The weird part is the kext is loaded, but the card doesn't appear at all.

I think it may be related with the mini pci express port malfunctioning on my laptop. Some guy released different patched IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext that may solve the problem.

http://forum.insanel...o...c=81036&hl=

Let me know if that works for you

BigPimpin

BigPimpin

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

The weird part is the kext is loaded, but the card doesn't appear at all.

That's not weird at all. It's normal for a driver that isn't written properly for the hardware it's trying to drive. Getting a kext to load is easy. Getting it to do something useful is not. Nope, not weird at all.

enemix

enemix

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I think it may be related with the mini pci express port malfunctioning on my laptop. Some guy released different patched IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext that may solve the problem.

http://forum.insanel...o...c=81036&hl=

Let me know if that works for you

Tried that, resulted in kernel panic at boot XD

VooD

VooD

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Tried that, resulted in kernel panic at boot XD

:huh:

There are a couple of alternate kexts in the same post and related ones, did you already try them?

applehacker

applehacker

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I wonder what kind of computer he has...............
Im betting either a compaq, hp, or an acer. more on compaq though

emuzaman

emuzaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Need DRIVER... :D

Device : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Hardware IDS:
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280

pls help!!

alcinthenow

alcinthenow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there... I'm pretty New at this, but I have a lot of experience getting bsd and linux drivers to work. I have a Belkin F5d700, v1000 - which is supposed to work with your list, I believe. Problem is, It does'nt even show up as an existing device. I'm running 10.5.1, and your .sh file ran perfectly, but my device still doesn't show up in system profiler or in dmesg. Any ideas?

carpao

carpao

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
HI, I have an AUS WG-100g PCMCIA card...

in System profiler it said:

pci14e4,4320:

Type:	Other Network Controller
  Driver Installed:	Yes
  Bus:	PCI
  Slot:	PCI Slot 0@4,0,0
  Vendor ID:	0x14e4
  Device ID:	0x4320
  Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x1043
  Subsystem ID:	0x100f
  Revision ID:	0x0002

pci14e4,4320:

Function:	Network Controller
  Vendor:	Unknown
  Type:	CardBus
  Vendor ID:	5348
  Device ID:	17184

The card is recognized as Airport and works but as b (11Mbs) instead of g (54Mbs)

do you have some idea?

UPDATE:
I thought that it was b because in the menu under the PCMCIA icon it says "Broadcom 802.11b CardBus"
but now I see under NetworkUtility that it says "Link Speed: 54Mbit/s Vendor: unknown Model: Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 b/g)"

is there some utility to check the effective status of the link?

nicholasbgr

nicholasbgr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Worked for me, thank you.

emuzaman

emuzaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
where's the MCSMART gone?? :)
long time no see.....

need help.... :)

compaq v6714tu
Device : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Hardware IDS:
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C&REV_01
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280

the device not detected, how cud i make that working, -_-

any answer?

mcsmart

mcsmart

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

is there some utility to check the effective status of the link?

Well, if you get normal g speeds, then it's 802.11g I would think :P

the device not detected, how cud i make that working, :P

Try the latest pre2 version. I have added your device id, however I don't know if your card is even supported. Try it - it could work.

Instead of unzipping, you have to ungzip the archive:
gunzip bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh.gz
sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh

-mcsmart

emuzaman

emuzaman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
ran the script...not working.. :(
same pic :wacko:

anyway, thanx for ur effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy