Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

To avoid further issues or confusion this topic should be closed.

I don't think the thread needs to be closed. No matter how good your method is, most people are not going to install Linux (no matter how simple it is) just to run a firmware utility, even if it is the Holy Grail solution. Now if there was a native OSX utility to back up the old firmware, install the modded firmware, and with the ability to restore the firmware from the backup if needed, then I might agree.

I also see discussions elsewhere on the net where people report problems with the b43 firmware cutter utility. Apparently there are different versions floating around and they each depend on what hardware rev the card is at. More confusion. I just don't think it's appropriate to declare that all further discussion must revolve around your solution of choice.

Nevertheless, I've been looking for a miniPCI card that will work on XP, Linux and OSX and there aren't too many around. I will definitely try out your method just as soon as I can get my hands on a card with an appropriate chipset.

To rw3: You can't just type some lines into Terminal to do this. Try reading it again, although I must admit BuildSmart could do a much better job explaining it. He assumes the level of expertise around here in general is higher than it actually is.

Guest BuildSmart
I don't think the thread needs to be closed. No matter how good your method is, most people are not going to install Linux (no matter how simple it is) just to run a firmware utility, even if it is the Holy Grail solution. Now if there was a native OSX utility to back up the old firmware, install the modded firmware, and with the ability to restore the firmware from the backup if needed, then I might agree.

I also see discussions elsewhere on the net where people report problems with the b43 firmware cutter utility. Apparently there are different versions floating around and they each depend on what hardware rev the card is at. More confusion. I just don't think it's appropriate to declare that all further discussion must revolve around your solution of choice.

Nevertheless, I've been looking for a miniPCI card that will work on XP, Linux and OSX and there aren't too many around. I will definitely try out your method just as soon as I can get my hands on a card with an appropriate chipset.

To rw3: You can't just type some lines into Terminal to do this. Try reading it again, although I must admit BuildSmart could do a much better job explaining it. He assumes the level of expertise around here in general is higher than it actually is.

I ported over the flashing software so yes a solution does exist natively in Mac OS X.

The software before porting does not support the newer 11n cards so anyone with these cards do not yet have a solution through linux but I was able to make the required changes in OS X and I am able to change these cards.

The reason is that the N-PHY has not yet been reverse engineered so the cards are not currently supported in linux without the use of ndiswrapper and this solution does not allow the card to be recognized by the native driver and this is why you can't modify them, the apple driver does support the N-PHY and is why I am able to process these types of cards.

The unfortunates of this is that the application is not publicly available however and in all probability never will be but, for a $7.95 fee, I'll mod your card for you, I can do PCI, PCIe and miniPCI, I do not have a PCIe to miniPCIe adapter so I wont be able to do these cards until I get one and the demand would have to justify the cost since the card required is almost $100.00 USD.

If you want a free solution then go the route of linux or write an OSX app to do it, if after writing it you want to make it open source then that decision is yours, if not no one can complain, you wrote it to solve your problem, what you do with it after that is entirely up to you.

I'll be using the Linux method :P FWIW I don't blame you for wanting to keep the source closed. I'm developing something now myself and I have no plans to make the source code available. I've spent too much time on it to just give it away. If I ever did write a utility to do what the Linux firmware cutter does for OSX I wouldn't make that an open source project, either. More power to you, I say.

Guest BuildSmart
I'll be using the Linux method :rolleyes: FWIW I don't blame you for wanting to keep the source closed. I'm developing something now myself and I have no plans to make the source code available. I've spent too much time on it to just give it away. If I ever did write a utility to do what the Linux firmware cutter does for OSX I wouldn't make that an open source project, either. More power to you, I say.
For the longest time I pushed for open development of projects and this would have made a good example, unfortunately people dislike me cause of this.

Since no one wanted to work on anything under an open development platform I have gone off and done my own thing and resolved my own issues.

I've done things with others on this list and anything I've done I've openly shared with them as they have shared with me but nothing has been developed in an open environment and affects many who have an interest in the x86 project, nobody likes to re-invent the wheel (so to speak) so many things get left unfixed when people tend to develop for the hardware they do have and don't consider hardware that others might have.

My solution is far more involved, the fwcutter only makes the driver file for linux, that is it's only purpose, the ability to flash the sprom is a different app that is integrated into the b43 linux driver and there is not support for the 11n (N-PHY) cards.

My solution is now entirely OS X based, allows me to insert a card, (Atheros or Broadcom), modify the ID's in the sprom, update the firmware (if I have a better one for that chipset) and works with the 11n based cards where the linux method currently does not but you can use the 11n cards with the ndiswrapper in linux, just not make changes to the card.

Doing an installation is not required, I ran the entire process in my testing phase using a "Live CD" and didn't have any issues with the approach other than it being extremely time consuming to install the required software in the "Live CD" session.

Guest BuildSmart
How can I find my device ID?

You don't provide any details on your system or wifi so it's really hard to say what you should be looking for but if you have to ask how to find the device ID's then you shouldn't be looking as anything you'd want to do with it would be well beyond your capabilities.

Guest BuildSmart
[[[[Cards that are known to work:
  • Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.]]]]]

Hi mcsmart,

I have a Belkin F5D7000 wireless G Card, v7000. And I tried the way you said to do it with bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh. And I installed the latest Apple Airport Utility which is downloaded from Apple website. But it didn't work. I don't know why.

And you said this .sh only support broadcom chips, right? I checked mine, it's RTL8185L. Device ID viewed in the computer properties Windows XP is "PCI\VEN_1799&DEV_700F&SUBSYS_700F1799&REV_20". I don't know how to tell the ID. And I don't know how to tell its ID in Mac. I think Mac didn't recognize it.

Could you help me on this or give me any advice?

Many thanks,

Simon

Your card is not a Broadcom card if it reports RTL8185L, you have a newer version of the card and Belkin changed the chipset to Realtek so you have to use Realtek drivers, reports of working hardware are inconclusive because those who post the card details don't report enough information about the card.

The Belkin F5D7000 card with Broadcom chipset will work, the Belkin F5D7000 card with Realtek chipset will NOT work as an Apple wireless detected device.

You posted your ID's and your subsystem ID's.

Here's the decode:

PCI\VEN_1799&DEV_700F&SUBSYS_700F1799&REV_20 = ven 0x1799, dev 0x700F, subsys_dev 0x700F, subsys_ven 0x1799

VEN_106B = Apple

VEN_1799 = Realtek

VEN_14E4 = Broadcom

VEN_168C = Atheros

Also, having the correct product and vendor ID's don't always make a card work, specifically in the case of wifi, for example, those with BCM94321/BCM94322 based cards may not achieve full functionality and connection speed in OS X because the driver is selected based on the subsystem ID's so having the correct subsystem ID's is also important if you want a connection speed greater than 130mbp.

Your card is not a Broadcom card if it reports RTL8185L, you have a newer version of the card and Belkin changed the chipset to Realtek so you have to use Realtek drivers, reports of working hardware are inconclusive because those who post the card details don't report enough information about the card.

The Belkin F5D7000 card with Broadcom chipset will work, the Belkin F5D7000 card with Realtek chipset will NOT work as an Apple wireless detected device.

You posted your ID's and your subsystem ID's.

Here's the decode:

PCI\VEN_1799&DEV_700F&SUBSYS_700F1799&REV_20 = ven 0x1799, dev 0x700F, subsys_dev 0x700F, subsys_ven 0x1799

VEN_106B = Apple

VEN_1799 = Realtek

VEN_14E4 = Broadcom

VEN_168C = Atheros

Also, having the correct product and vendor ID's don't always make a card work, specifically in the case of wifi, for example, those with BCM94321/BCM94322 based cards may not achieve full functionality and connection speed in OS X because the driver is selected based on the subsystem ID's so having the correct subsystem ID's is also important if you want a connection speed greater than 130mbp.

Does your re-branding steps/solution mentioned at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109613 works with compaq c500?

Ive got just this question that.. If i get a BCM 4306 replace my current 2100 card. Will the secured networks work or will it not let me access them? after ofcourse trying to install all the drivers for the 4306. I know it is going to be tough.

Thanks.

Guest BuildSmart
Ive got just this question that.. If i get a BCM 4306 replace my current 2100 card. Will the secured networks work or will it not let me access them? after ofcourse trying to install all the drivers for the 4306. I know it is going to be tough.

Thanks.

Have the card rebranded and use the apple drivers then everything works.

I had no issues with WPA/WPA2 and a gigabit Airport base so I see no reason why you would.

Under WEP I had to have the router set up with the #1 key as default, making it any other didn't seem to work with any cards (not even real apple laptops).

Have the card rebranded and use the apple drivers then everything works.

I had no issues with WPA/WPA2 and a gigabit Airport base so I see no reason why you would.

Under WEP I had to have the router set up with the #1 key as default, making it any other didn't seem to work with any cards (not even real apple laptops).

thnx a lot..i'll surely try it out :)

thnx again :D

I have a problem with a PCMCIA card...

it is not recognized asairport after a resume from sleep...

it is not a problem of PCMCIA because it is recognized as PCMCIA exactly the same... but it says "no airport is installed"

any ideas? is there some kext that I can try to unload and reload?

thanks in advance

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Running Kalyway 10.5.2 with a Broadcom Dev ID 4315 that I cannot get to work. I have tried running the Broadcom enabler script, I have tried Editing the NetworkInterfaces.Plist. I have tried The Cardbus/PCMCIA Card kexts located here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=81036&hl=

No matter what I do I get nothing at all with this network card. No errors, OSX does not detect it at all. What am I doing wrong?

Guest BuildSmart
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 Running Kalyway 10.5.2 with a Broadcom Dev ID 4315 that I cannot get to work. I have tried running the Broadcom enabler script, I have tried Editing the NetworkInterfaces.Plist. I have tried The Cardbus/PCMCIA Card kexts located here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=81036&hl=

No matter what I do I get nothing at all with this network card. No errors, OSX does not detect it at all. What am I doing wrong?

Apple does not have a driver for the bcm4315, the Cardbus / PCMCIA drivers are for just that, Cardbus and PCMCIA cards but even these devices need to have the correct ID's to work properly in OS X.

Does your Dell use miniPCI or miniPCIe cards???

Does your Dell white-list the wireless adapters like some of the HP's and IBM's??

If not you can pick up a bcm4306. bcm4309, bcm4318 or bcm4321 card, rebrand the card with apple ID's and you should be golden.

Myself in miniPCI I favor the Dell DW1450 and DW1470 cards because they support 802.11a/b/g and are more like the real apple cards.

bcm4301, bcm4311 and bcm4315 adapters require very unique drivers and these cards are OEM only adapters and are not likely to get any kind of stability or reliability in OS X even if you managed to get it working.

I found out it is a PCIe card How do I know this though?

Does your Dell white-list the wireless adapters like some of the HP's and IBM's??

And how do you

...rebrand the card with apple ID's and you should be golden.

The card shows up in vista as Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card

Hello, i have searched forums for 4 days and i still cannot get my 4311 broadcom card on my Hp Dv5000 to work, the computer recognizes it under locations in system profiler. But the airport icon says "No Airport card installed". I ran the enabler script and tried to find my wireless card in my laptop but it is not visible through the ram slot and i cannot open the case to get to it, therefore i cannot use the 20th pin method (I have a button on the front of my case to enable/disable wirless). I am running out of ideas and have resorted to asking you guys for assistance. What do you suggest?

BCM4311 should work well. In your case I could think of a crappy software switch. Check the following things:

• Is your card enabled in BIOS? Sometimes you have a choice between WLAN disabled/automatic/enabled. In this case, set it to enabled.
  • Boot Linux or Windoze on that machine and enable your card. Now REBOOT into OSX and check if it is working.
  • If that did not help, shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the power cord and remove the battery for a while (~5 minutes). Put the battery back in, plug in the power supply and try to boot into OSX.

If all of these things did not help: get a USB WLAN adaptor :thumbsup_anim:

- mcsmart