Radeon Xpress 200M

thedopefishlives

483 posts in this topic

The Xpress200 is the X300 core, that is forced shared memory, slower clock, and only 2 pixel pipelines. I'm no driver developer for osx86, but I beleive that if it had 4 pixel pipe lines like the X300 has, then this would probably progress driver support for the xpress200.

Hi there, need some help i´m kind of a newbie on this....I installed Jas 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 PPF1+PPF2, it installs fine, but after rebooting the screen gets stuck on the apple logo, then music starts and there´s a voice that gives kinda tutorial stuff, i hear the sound when pressing keys I can even use the volume controls from the laptop and mute as well.........tried -v and got same results but no apple logo just prompt, the last line reads: localhost config[53]: NoAirPort Driver Found. The video is ATI X 200M. I know that my laptop should work acording to ECL, here are the specs:

COMPAQ WM5305US - the $375 walmart laptop, yes!!!!

AMDSempron 2.0Ghz

1Gb RAM

ATI X200M Card

Please help me with this one, I already installed for different versions and patches and still can´t get it to work...

Hey, I'm new here and if you all could try to get the 10.4.7 Xpress 200M to work, or at least put more effort into the project then some of us with widescreen laptops won't be bored to death of a too wide 1024x768 and I won't be able to get another laptop for a couple years. I got the laptop a bit before Vista came out so by now some of you could be able to crack it. Here's my System Hardware Information

OS's (Yes Multiple): Windows Server 2008 Beta 3, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows XP Professional, Mac OS X 10.4.7

Memory (RAM): 1022 MB

CPU: AMD Turion64 Mobile Technology

SSE2\SSE3 Compatibility

Please continue the project! My computer will need this or I will have to get my grandmother mac on her's.

Hey, I'm new here and if you all could try to get the 10.4.7 Xpress 200M to work, or at least put more effort into the project then some of us with widescreen laptops won't be bored to death of a too wide 1024x768 and I won't be able to get another laptop for a couple years. I got the laptop a bit before Vista came out so by now some of you could be able to crack it. Here's my System Hardware Information

OS's (Yes Multiple): Windows Server 2008 Beta 3, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows XP Professional, Mac OS X 10.4.7

Memory (RAM): 1022 MB

CPU: AMD Turion64 Mobile Technology

SSE2\SSE3 Compatibility

Please continue the project! My computer will need this or I will have to get my grandmother mac on her's.

you shouldnot talk about effort, c'mon this f**ing chipset is a nightmare, you can try to setup this to your pr

pper display

resolution but no more. search in forums how to do it, bot no QE/CI.

Please do not post this kind of petitions.

hi,

sorry for the off-topic , but since radeon xpress 200m is not officially supported by apple , is there also a procedure that i could try to get an ati radeon x2300 to work at least for having a 1280x800 resolution ? For the moment QE & CI is not important , but the full resolution size yes , it is important...

So, is there any general procedure that i could try to get an ati radeon x2300 working? Or any other suggestion is welcome (to change video card is not the best solution for me atm :whistle: ).

Thanks!

Mal

hi riws,

thanks for your reply .

I tried successfully to do "the usual way" (i think you mean replacing kexts) with a geforce 7300 & geforce 7600 but i don't know which kexts to modify with ati cards. I tried to modify just the atiradeonx1x00 kext with my devID but my system crashes. I even tried callisto old versions , but it still lets my system crash. Removing such kext system goes perfect. I don't know what may i try .

I just need 1280x800 resolution, no QE & CI for the moment ... just 1280x800 resolution.

Please help me ! :pirate2:

Mal

thanks riws for the suggestions.

I tried to modify atiradeonx1000.kext but i did not do the sudo kext.cache part and i did not modify neither the atindrv nor the ga plugin (like borisbadenov method says) ... who knows if that's the right trick.

Mal

• 1 month later...

I know this topic is old, but I figured out a few things and have a couple of fresh ideas. I did some research and found out that the ATI X200m IGP uses 32MB dedicated memory and 96MB shared, utilizing UMA. Possibly, by modifying one of the drivers, (9700,x1000), and only using 32MB of the dedicated memory, it wouldn't use UMA, allowing you to have the functionality of the driver, but with the downfall of only having 32MB of memory. On my laptop, I have the option of changing the UMA from 32-128MB. I haven't tested this yet but I thought I would propose it.

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...

Could this mean anything? Or have the coders on this forum already decided that support is not possible because of the way the Mac OSX is constructed?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=arti...m=826&num=1

(Talks about ATI (AMD) releasing open source support)

This post from the forums should probably be here too.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=xpress+200m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any developer here trying to make a driver for the Radeon?

I know many useful information but I am alone and want to tell with other good programmers.

Shared memory not a problem. We need to set in driver 9700

mov eax,[esi+0x854]

mov edx,[eax+0x15c]

mov [eax+0x148],edx

continue discussion?

Wow :angel:

I really want to work on the problem with you because I have approximatly the same Radeon IGP but 9000. As I already know the difference in some chip registers while common registers are the same. I am alone working on the problem during three months and stay at the advanced stage. I need to take counsel with programmers but nobody here...except you?

What I know:

1. How to make a patch (at assembler level) for Radeon9700.kext to successfully loaded for any card.

2. How to obtain hardwareOpenGL but for me it crashes :rolleyes:

I dunno why.

I cannot create AGP driver for my IGP bus, probably because of kirky patched driver.

May be you find a solution?

Start point

download http://hte.sf.net, compile it for MacOSX. I am successful. I make patches with it.

this is hexeditor/disassembler for intel code.

Open Radeon9700.kext/Contents/ATIRadeon9700...

to be continued...

Start point

download http://hte.sf.net, compile it for MacOSX. I am successful. I make patches with it.

this is hexeditor/disassembler for intel code.

Open Radeon9700.kext/Contents/ATIRadeon9700...

to be continued...

this disassembler is very strange. in disasm mode just converts everything it finds to intel x86 assembly, doesn't look for .code segment, doesn't handle relocations and sagment base addresses, just treats whole file as a binary executable code. i've found Machonist, which also can edit assembly code and create patches, but can also display jumppoints, function calls and some other info

this disassembler is very strange. in disasm mode just converts everything it finds to intel x86 assembly, doesn't look for .code segment, doesn't handle relocations and sagment base addresses, just treats whole file as a binary executable code. i've found Machonist, which also can edit assembly code and create patches, but can also display jumppoints, function calls and some other info

Ok! I shall try it. And I have IDA pro that can convert binary to asm text with symbolic names and codes relocation.

Honest to God - if somebody can actually succeed in writing working drivers for 200M I shall kiss the ground at their feet. I'm only posting to encourage you guys to continue looking into this. I see several people have, and I wish them luck and let them know that they've got my support.

Although I'm a little curious what "mostly working" meant in the very first post of this thread so long ago.

I know this might sound strange, but... well, a lot of people come here! One of them must have a connection to an Apple developer or is an Apple developer. If you could find that person, this project might make a giant leap forward - at least in terms of understanding how a potential driver can be written. The flip side of that is having somebody from ATI/AMD who knows about the Linux and Windows drivers extensively. I realize finding these types of people might be a task bigger than making the drivers, and I certainly don't mean to undermine the developers going after this project - but you've got to agree, those people would be our best bet, right?

G'luck to all ye willing.

2 JoNNy

Next step. Take a text of Radeon9700 with my comments. Find its by key "//Slice"

Probably you need only to make this patch into real kext (by means of, for example, hte).

First, try to boot without GA.plugin i.e. 2D only.

If successful - with it.

Successful or no - report here.

9700v144.asm.zip