[How To] Dual-head Dual-boot Silent BadAxe2/Core2Duo/GeForce 7600/10.4.9 Build

gdog

105 posts in this topic

With the help of "BJMoose" I've build my 2nd Hack with this mobo, the system is very stable, one thing is the audio mute work for you? When I press on audio mute key the mute icon graphic show overlay but the audio still on.

ciao

Davide

i just tried mute and it does not work for me either. maybe the AppleHD needs to be customized.

i posted in the other forum for the Sigmatel 9274D, if someone wanted to work to get the 9274D working better, but no one responded.

I installed the Apple Audio Update for 10.4.10. Had to re-apply the Sigmatel / AppleHDA patcher afterwards, but everything's working fine.

Good point about the "mute" button. I never tried that, but have the same experience (shows icon, but music keeps playing). Volume up/down work though.

The other option is to get some USB speakers. I've heard they have full compatibility. Check some of the other forum threads. I haven't tried this.

• 2 weeks later...

All I get when I try to install with this board is "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key."

I've got a SATA and an IDE hard drive. Doesn't matter which I install to. I've tried JaS 10.4.8 and Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i. Changed the SATA thingy to AHCI, and anything else I could think of to get it to boot. Nothing. Just "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key." Putting the DVD back in just results in me getting the option to install again.

What am I doing wrong here?

Geiiga,

make sure you have only one IDE drive connected ie. the dvd drive. for some reason if you have two IDE connected the install disk will not boot.

for sata, AHCI or IDE should be fine. i think i installed using AHCI and then swiched to IDE, if i remember correctly.

AHCI is suppose to be faster, but on my tests IDE was faster.

make sure you connect the sata to the black connectors, not blue.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hardware:

BadAxe2 Rev 507

3/15/2007 BIOS 2674

Q6600 G0 SLACR 2.4 GHz

Zalman 9500 Copper CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 5-5-5-15

AS Ceramique

1TB Hitachi Deskstar SATA II 3Gbps

BFG 7950GT OC PCIe

Pioneer DVR-112D

OCZ 520W ADJ EPS 12V ATX 2.01 PSU

I built it setup on my TechStation before moving to a Lian Li PC 60USB Case.

Followed the guide and got windows XP Pro SP2 up and running fine (200G partition). Made one 800G for OSX

I have not connected it to the network to update XP yet but I ran CPU-Z (v 1.40.5) and the CPU was shown as only running at 1.6 GHz with a 6x multiplier!??

It there something in the BIOS throttling it down?

My Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso won't boot -- bad torrent? It shows up on my G5 as Startup Disk however.

How much time should it take to load?

Thanks!

I got my hardware:

BadAxe2 Rev 507

3/15/2007 BIOS 2674

Q6600 G0 SLACR 2.4 GHz

Zalman 9500 Copper CPU Cooler

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 5-5-5-15

AS Ceramique

1TB Hitachi Deskstar SATA II 3Gbps

BFG 7950GT OC PCIe

Pioneer DVR-112D

OCZ 520W ADJ EPS 12V ATX 2.01 PSU

I built it setup on my TechStation before moving to a Lian Li PC 60USB Case.

Followed the guide and got windows XP Pro SP2 up and running fine (200G partition). Made one 800G for OSX

I have not connected it to the network to update XP yet but I ran CPU-Z (v 1.40.5) and the CPU was shown as only running at 1.6 GHz with a 6x multiplier!??

It there something in the BIOS throttling it down?

My Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso won't boot -- bad torrent? It shows up on my G5 as Startup Disk however.

How much time should it take to load?

Thanks!

update your bios, latest is ~ 2777

if your osx dvd won't boot in 5 minutes, it won't boot at all

jas worked for me. try the bios update first and see if that gets you further along to the next problem ;)

Well I thought I would report on how my badaxe2 build is going. It wasn't as smooth as expected, unfortunately. First off, my hardware:

Badaxe 2

core2duo E6600

2x2gb 667 ddr2

geforce 7800gt (256mb)

2x320gb seagate sata drives

lite-on sata DVD

I tried setting the bios SATA to AHCI mode first, but that didn't work with the sata DVD. So I'm running SATA in Native / IDE mode with SMART enabled. Also, I read AHCI isn't compatible with Windows XP without a patch, etc.

I started off following this guide by installing Jas 10.4.8 w/ PPF1 & PPF2 without any video drivers. However, after the reboot it would always go to kernel panic/grey screen. After re-installing with the Titan driver, I was able to get it to load "sometimes". Sometimes the display would not initialize and other times the loginwindow app would crash repeatedly. But when I was lucky, it would actually make it to the desktop. I tried to install KoolKal 10.4.10 on top of this, but it didn't clear up the problems and I couldn't get back to desktop anymore.

So at this point, I decided to try out uphuck 1.4i r2 (latest one I have). This actually installed well and has loaded every time (using the natit driver this time). I haven't seen any loginwindow hangs or display problems yet (although there is usually a line in the startup log about failing to initialize display, it seems to come up anyway).

After the uphuck install, I installed koolkal 10.4.10. On the first reboot after install, the startup log complains about waiting for diskarb sessions and then terminates/reboots. However, on the 2nd reboot all appears to be working fine.

Out of curiousity, I tried to install Jas 10.4.8 again since I believe my problems could be related to the Titan driver. I got to the desktop after install and removed the Titan kext and ran the koolkal 10.4.10 updater and selected the natit driver. However, after the update I was still seeing loginwindow crashes and couldn't get to desktop - so I guess I'm sticking with uphuck.

Questions:

Is there anything in uphuck v1.4i r3 that I am missing since I only have r2?

What apps is uphuck missing versus Jas? (I noticed iChat and Mail aren't there)

Got the sound working with the HDAPatcher and the STAC dump, but the mute doesn't work (as others have reported) - does anyone have that working yet?

Are there any badaxe2 BIOS settings that are important that might not be obvious?

Thanks!

Thanks for the report tasc -- I still can't get past "Error parsing plist fileLoading Darwin/x86" on Jas 10.4.8 w/ PPF1 DVD. It won't boot.

My BIOS setting SATA is to IDE mode. I have a Hitachi 1TB SATA II drive attached to SATA Port 1 and a Pioneer DVR-112D on IDE -- Master only device on the chain.

I have WinXP up and fine on a 200G Partition, and an active Primary Partition of 800G (unformatted) for OSX.

uphuck v1.4i r3 has rosetta

See:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58717

Maybe I need to try it ?

Good news, I got it up and working with the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4 r3. checked the natit .02 and IONetworkingFamily.kext. Now, let's see. I got an XBench 1.3 score of 150.01 -- a low disk score of 62.63, an OK Quartz Graphics Test 165.06. Time to try to patch the sound and MAYBE update to 10.4.10?? My first online post from this "clone"

Hey Sauria, I used the same installer as you (finally got my hands on that latest uphuck r3 version). Everything is working good, including sound with the HDAPatcher 1.16 and the STAC9274 dump (mute doesn't work).

I ended up having a faulty badaxe2 motherboard (weird post issues, and the onboard LAN went totally dead) so I had to RMA it (Intel RMA is great if you ever need to go down that road). With the new motherboard I tried JAS 10.4.8 again. I had to select the Titan driver for it to boot, but seemed stable with that. I then applied Koolkal 10.4.10 and installed some apps and everything seemed to be good. Later when working in iPhoto 08, I noticed some strange misplaced text titles on the UI - like some kind of a graphics issue - Event names were not bold or centered and overlapped the picture a little.

So I decided to try the latest uphuck 1.4i r3. After reading some of the posts on the uphuck site, it seems the 1.4i series of releases are not intended to be upgraded because of the custom intel work they did for speed - but everyone reports that upgrading it to 10.4.10 works fine. Right now I'm sticking with the standard 10.4.9 and I've run all the other updates besides 10.4.10. System is running great (same xbench scores as Jas, so not sure if those optimizations did much) and best of all, my iPhoto 08 doesn't have the problem it had before. I'm not sure if that iPhoto problem was a result of Jas, Koolkal or even possibly another app I had installed. I'll post back if it shows up again.

Here are my xbench results:

Results 188.65

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST3320620AS

CPU Test 124.04

GCD Loop 282.66 14.90 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 136.81 3.25 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 98.77 3.26 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 88.69 15.44 Mops/sec

Thread Test 235.26

Computation 218.63 4.43 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 254.62 10.95 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 160.81

System 155.45

Allocate 123.32 452.88 Kalloc/sec

Fill 168.30 8182.91 MB/sec

Copy 190.55 3935.71 MB/sec

Stream 166.54

Copy 155.93 3220.66 MB/sec

Scale 162.07 3348.33 MB/sec

Add 174.60 3719.45 MB/sec

Triad 175.21 3748.26 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 182.95

Line 145.59 9.69 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 192.36 57.43 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 182.62 14.89 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 165.61 4.18 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 266.72 16.68 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 172.07

Spinning Squares 172.07 218.28 frames/sec

User Interface Test 500.98

Elements 500.98 2.30 Krefresh/sec

Thanks tasc -- Your Xbench scores sure beat mine! How's your disk score?

I have the Core2Quad --- your's is a Duo? Faster than 2.4 GHz?

None of my JAS 10.4.8 versions PPF 1 or PPF 1 & PPF 2 would get past the "Error parsing plist fileLoading Darwin/x86" point. Is that a sign of a bad board or bad iso's?

Sauria- I have the core2duo 2.4ghz, not sure why it would be any faster. I didn't run the disk xbench tests, but my SATA is configured as IDE.

I'm not sure what to say about your Jas boot problems, but I would guess a bad iso before a bad board.

yes, it all seems to run fine. I'm not sure if my previous iPhoto video problems were a result of Jas, Koolkal update or possibly another application like Photoshop, etc. I'm getting an external drive in next week and once I image my drive, I will try out Jas again and see.

Followed the tutorial and upgraded to koolkat's 10.4.10.... NO PROBLEMS. It was easy and took me a total of about an hour to do.... All my hardware works and my 50inch tv is going great as my display. Thank you for the step by step guide! You f%*#ing rock.

Thanks for the guide gdog. Built my fist Hackintosh using your instructions completely hassel free!

Hardware used:

E6600 @ 2.4Ghz (for the moment)

XBX2 rev. 507 (2792 Bios)

2GB G.Skill HZ @ 4-4-4-12

XFX 7900GT 256MB

Everything worked right from install. Only thing I had to actaully patch was the audio which is now working. I did install the Nvidia drivers from the JaS DVD as I'm not going with the dual screens. I think it may be time to retire the G5.