No Wake From Sleep - Discussion / Fixes thread

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
I tried out the theory I outlined above (under 'random mindspill'), and it did nothing. No effect, good or bad. Oh well.

In other news...

Looking thru AGDenton's ioreg dumps (Mac Pro with apple-supplied X1900), some interesting keys jump out, which might help if injected with Natit:

"acpi-path" = "IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/NRP4@40000/PXS1@ffff"

"Power Management protected data" (appears twice)

The second Power Management key contains:

"{ this object = 05c89500, interested driver = 05c89500"

Interested Driver? Could that possibly be a driver which must be notified when the powerstate changes? could that prompt it to re-init on wake?

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
ok, so AGDenton also posted IOReg dumps of a PC X1900 card which he put in his Mac Pro in the secondary PCI-E slot.

I took both dumps and ran them thru a visual diff tool, and then removed all lines which were identical. finally, i added/removed blank lines as necessary so everything will line up in a side-by-side comparison.

i'm hoping this will provide clues as to what values may be missing from our Natit injections which might help the wake-from-sleep situation.

Attached Files

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
My PC if I put it to sleep and wake it up, no matter how long though, it resumes. HDD Spins up, GFX card fan starts and everything, but the OS is frozen and my cursor keeps spinning. I can move my mouse, but I cant do anything, the OS doesnot respond. As if its hung.

I have tried Paulicat's/Semthex and DaemonES kernels.

I am using NVidiaEFI on GF4 Ti, with an Intel SSE3 capable CPU.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Ok, another theory, from grepping thru my IOReg -l output....

The onboard GMA950 I have is in there, matching as 'display'. I tried removing all GMA-related kexts but its still in the ioreg.

Could the problem be that the onboard video is getting the wakeup call instead of the PCI-E card?

Does anyone else with the problem NOT have onboard video?

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Going to try this tool : http://x86dev.org/fo....php?topic=15.0

Will SSH into the sleeping machine and run that program. Will post results tonight.

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Ok, another theory, from grepping thru my IOReg -l output....

The onboard GMA950 I have is in there, matching as 'display'. I tried removing all GMA-related kexts but its still in the ioreg.

Could the problem be that the onboard video is getting the wakeup call instead of the PCI-E card?

Does anyone else with the problem NOT have onboard video?

I will remove my card and see what happens with onboard, used to work in .6 ...

-Damn, you could be onto something - sleep works fine w/ 950 - and there was me feeling inadequate with an EIST-less CPU. Bloody 950, oh how I hate thee... a pox on all your (4) pipelines.

Edited by consolation, 09 March 2007 - 12:35 PM.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
lol... interesting that it works for you. my current install it doesnt. then again, i installed with myzar 10.4.5, then jas 10.4.6 then apple 10.4.8 combo then mifki kernel + paulicat smbios, then semthex kernel and now paulicat sleep kernel ;)

maybe things are a little messed up in there...

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
i'm also going to try a few things suggested by carpao, like killing the loginwindow or systemuiserver from the ssh session.

enb14

enb14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
Munky what I did was this:

- IDE Hard Drive
- Integrated and PCIe 7900 GT CO eVGA Nvidia card
- D945GNTL Motherboard

Sleep worked for me in that configuration I'm gonna do more tests and see why It worked for me on an IDE hard drive.

By the way Safe Sleep (Hibernate) doesn't works on hackintoshes I don't know why probably is something with EFI.

Eskurza

Eskurza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Munky what I did was this:

- IDE Hard Drive
- Integrated and PCIe 7900 GT CO eVGA Nvidia card
- D945GNTL Motherboard

Sleep worked for me in that configuration I'm gonna do more tests and see why It worked for me on an IDE hard drive.

By the way Safe Sleep (Hibernate) doesn't works on hackintoshes I don't know why probably is something with EFI.

safe sleep works with the 8.4.1 kernel :) not hackintosh related.

carpao

carpao

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

i'm also going to try a few things suggested by carpao, like killing the loginwindow or systemuiserver from the ssh session.

remember:
killing loginwindow has immediate effect but corresponds to make a signoff, so you are prompted again for login and your previous session is destroyed (open applications killed)

killing systemuiserver has (if any, ie.e it didnt work always) not immediate effect... in my casae some time after more or less 60 seconds it presentes the login to resume after the sleep...

enb14

enb14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

safe sleep works with the 8.4.1 kernel :thumbsdown_anim: not hackintosh related.

Safe Sleep is not hackintosh related?

Remember that Sleep and Safe Sleep (Hibernate) are two different things, look:

http://andrewescobar...sleep-your-mac/

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
Sleep works on my hackintosh, takes about 30 seconds for it to start responding again, mouse needs re-plugging though >:thumbsdown_anim:

Eskurza

Eskurza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Sleep works on my hackintosh, takes about 30 seconds for it to start responding again, mouse needs re-plugging though >:thumbsdown_anim:

I can confirm that Hibernation works with the 8.4.1 kernel

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Now that *is* interesting. I wonder whats missing / broken from the 8.8.1 kernel which breaks safe sleep?

Oh, the results of tonights experiments: nothing worked, basically. The SetDisplay thing hung when looking for the display mode, and killing various things had no discernible effect - nothing magically reawakened the video.

I also tried to compile libx86 and a program I found called boot-radeon.c which was written by someone who had the same problem with a radeon card under linux (ie no video on s3 resume), but i couldnt get the libx86 thing to compile. SourceForge reckons its for all UNIXes, including BSD, but i suspect im missing linux-specific headers or something.

I have been doing quite a lot of digging into the matter, and plenty folks in the linux world have similar problems, esp with radeon cards.

I will dump here some links which may be of interest / use. Earlier today I found a link with mention of a specific VESA call which should reinit the video bios at a low level, but i've lost it (i know, im a fool). I will try to find that again and post it.

http://developer.osd...power/video.txt

Eskurza

Eskurza

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
hey munky,

I have 10.4.7 installed on a usb drive.. Just tried the sleep with that install..

works perfectly.. whole things shuts off, power down, hibernates... when i press the power button,

it resumes the system and wakes up...

Is there any log that would show what is happening exatly when the computer is hibernating..

i played around with the console, couldnt find anything..

Let me know what I can do to help.

ariethekid

ariethekid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
It had everything working for me with the old kernel. But I had to tinker with 10.4.5 (8.4.1 kernel) to make it work. OS 10.4.3 worked right off the bat. everything worked. Sleep, safe sleep and all that. I can't remember if it was on an IDE or an SATA but I had an SATA drive in at the time. I think it was installed on an SATA drive (OSX) so that SATA talk seems silly. I have an x1600xt with sleep working too.

KIKO do you have sleep working on the new kernel?

My new hackintosh doesn't even support Restart.
How do I fix that? I have an Intel D945GCL board. The board I had all that stuff working on before was a D945PSN.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
http://www.hentges.n...ng_p30_s3.shtml

http://www.doesi.gmx...tm800s3/s3.html

I guess the sleep thing shouldnt be driving me quite as nuts as it is.

i'd love to solve this one....

thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

DiaboliK

DiaboliK

DiaboliK <- Capital K!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
thers some light at the end of the natit tunnel....

fresh install of jas amd/intell sse3/sse2 v2 and my x1300pro.

nothing selected in video options so im running latest apple atidrivers.
added my new revision of NatitX1300 (not yet released).
now every single ati driver is intitated corectly, including Caretta.kext in ATINDRV.kext.

now hit the sleep button in the apple menu...
sleep for a minute. click mouse button and back to desktop i am :thumbsup_anim:

Semthex beta 9 not paulicat kernel
intel 915gux mobo and Asus eax1300PRO graphics.

-DiaboliK

joe75

joe75

Renegade

• Retired
  • 2,204 posts

plenty folks in the linux world have similar problems, esp with radeon cards.

I haven't had too many problems with sleep on an x800xt, only a couple of distros ever gave me trouble :thumbsup_anim: I don't ever use hibernate, so I cant comment on that.

On my lappy with 950, I have problems with sleep with just about any distro that will install. Its 50/50 if it will come back on or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy