ATI Radeon x300 Mobility

iamshawn

55 posts in this topic

I've the x300 (device-ID 5460) fully working at 1680*1050 with QE & CI (except sleep mode and tv-out) on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I used it at 10.4.6, 10.4.7 and 10.4.8.

You can use my kexts and instructions, but use at your own risk (if it doesn't work you'll end up with a black screen).

Backup your installation before you try it.

bild2pw1.png

x300.zip

Edited by Madnesz

Hey Lockburn could you post what you're showing in your Graphic/Displays? I would like to see what is different on mine.

Click on the Apple/about this Mac/more info.../Graphic/Displays.

This is mine.

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5460

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Thanks Douglas

Here's mine. Note, it indicates 1600x1200, but its definately running at 1920x1200 (else it would show black bars on the sides or stretch the fonts/images).

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200

Here's mine. Note, it indicates 1600x1200, but its definately running at 1920x1200 (else it would show black bars on the sides or stretch the fonts/images).

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200

I'm not sure what is going on with mine I'm just not getting it to change. Thanks for posting.

So, now that I have the resolution working, I'd like to find a way to get the screen to dim / turn off. I'm going to use this laptop as a development machine, and its always on, I just don't want to burn out the backlight, etc, by having the screen on all the time.

I went to power to set the screen to turn off after 1 min, but it never does. When I try to sleep the laptop, it doesn't go to sleep, but does seemingly go.. idle.. When I click a button, I head a click, and things whir back up to normal..

Hi dudes,

I have an ATI mobility radeon X300 and i have it working well, with QE, CI and Q2DE.

Below is my method of making it work:

Things you need

1. 10.4.6 ATI kexts (can be extracted from 10.4.6 combo using pacifist)

2. Callisto B006

3. Koverg v0.2

Method

1. Install all the 10.4.6 ATI kexts to your extension folder

sudo mv {location of ATI kext}/ATI* /System/Library/Extensions/

2. Edit CallistoHAL.kext and input in your device id

sudo nano {location of callistoHAL}/CallistoHAL.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>CallistoPCIMatch</key>
			<dict>
					<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
					<string>com.free.driver.CallistoHAL</string>
					<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>CallistoHAL</string>
					<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
					<string>IOService</string>
					<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
					<string>0x54601002&0xffffffff</string>	 <--
					<key>IOProbeScore</key>
					<integer>60000</integer>
					<key>IOProviderClass</key>
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			</dict>

3. Move all the Callisto kexts into the extensions folder.

sudo mv {location of callisto}/Callisto* /System/Library/Extensions/

4. Edit the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin plist for QE and CI, replace IONDRVFramebuffer with CallistoFB

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

<key>NSExecutable</key>
	<string>ATIRadeon9700GA</string>
	<key>Personality</key>
	<dict>
			<string>CallistoFB</string>			   <--
	</dict>
</dict>

5. Edit ATIRadeon9700.kext and put in your device id, replacing 5b60 with 5460

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist

<key>IOClass</key>
					<string>ATIRadeon9700</string>
					<key>IODVDBundleName</key>
					<string>ATIRadeon9700VADriver</string>
					<key>IOMatchCategory</key>						 
					<string>IOAccelerator</string>
					<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
					<string>0x4E441002 ... 0x54601002 .... 0x3E541002</string>   <--
					<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
					<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
					<string>1.4.26.11</string>
			</dict>

6. Extract Koverg to desktop

7. Change directory to koverg

cd {location of keverg}/kovergv0.2/

8. Run patch.sh with your device ID, mine is 5460

sudo ./patch.sh 54 60

9. Repair permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

10. Remove kextcache and mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

11. Reboot

You should have a QE CI at the end of this.

So, now that I have the resolution working, I'd like to find a way to get the screen to dim / turn off. I'm going to use this laptop as a development machine, and its always on, I just don't want to burn out the backlight, etc, by having the screen on all the time.

I went to power to set the screen to turn off after 1 min, but it never does. When I try to sleep the laptop, it doesn't go to sleep, but does seemingly go.. idle.. When I click a button, I head a click, and things whir back up to normal..

Sleep Mode is not possible with x300, because there is no driver supporting wake-up functionality.

Edited by Madnesz

Hmm, thats a bummer about sleep mode. What makes the x300 unique from other drivers that have a sleep mode. Ie, it shouldn't necessarily be a technical hurdle.

Anyone have any pointers toward OS X driver development? I'm a C/C++ developer, but haven't developed anything for the Mac yet. If I found some free time I'd take a stab at looking at the driver..

Hmm, thats a bummer about sleep mode. What makes the x300 unique from other drivers that have a sleep mode. Ie, it shouldn't necessarily be a technical hurdle.

Anyone have any pointers toward OS X driver development? I'm a C/C++ developer, but haven't developed anything for the Mac yet. If I found some free time I'd take a stab at looking at the driver..

I don't know, if Omni implemented wake up functionality in Callisto_b007 or 008... I belive I read something about it. But I never got Callisto_b008 to work and his website is no longer active, so I can't get the driver again :(

Edit: Found Callisto_b008. Didn't work under 10.4.7, so I got back to b003, never tried it under 10.4.8...

Callisto_b008.zip

Edited by Madnesz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is there any chance you could upload those kext from the 10.4.6 build rathalos, or anyone with the 10.4.6 build. I would like to try your method, but it would require me to download the 4.3 gig file, which, since it is now out of date, its not being seeded to heavily. i would really appreciate it, as it would save me alot of time! thanks to anyone who could help!

is there any chance you could upload those kext from the 10.4.6 build rathalos, or anyone with the 10.4.6 build. I would like to try your method, but it would require me to download the 4.3 gig file, which, since it is now out of date, its not being seeded to heavily. i would really appreciate it, as it would save me alot of time! thanks to anyone who could help!

Get the 10.4.6 Intel combo update from apple. It's only 200 MB.

After that extract the kexts with pacifist.

For everyone else, here is what i got to work. This not my work, I must give credit where credit is due. GimmeRed wrote and gave me this tutorial. Attached to this thread is eveything you will need to make QE & CI work as well as be able to adjust the screen resolution in the system preferences. From my experience there are still a few small problems (like holes when you move your mouse sometimes) but it works pretty well. Again I am by no means an expert, I'm just sharing what worked for me on my ati radeon mobility x300. EVERYTHING YOU NEED IS IN THE ATTACHED FILE, INCLUDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS.

I had a fairly new install so my kext files were as installed from Jas 10.4.8. I ran the Koverg -patch9700-v02 as instructed. I not sure how much you have played with terminal but it is pretty easy I just drug the patch9700.sh and the binmay to my desktop and opened terminal, typed cd desktop then

CODEsudo ./patch9700.sh 54 60

and hit enter.

It will ask if you want to auto detect just answer n. Next enter your password.

Next step you will need to edit your ATIRadeon9700kext.

CODEsudo nano -w /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/Info.plist

You will need to enter you device id to 5460

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x4E441002 0x41441002 0x4E481002 0x41481002 0x41501002 0x4E501002 0x41521002 0x4E541002 0x4A481002 0x4A491002 0x4A4A1002 0x4A4B1002 0x4A4C1002 0x4A4D1002 0x4A4E1002 *0x54601002* 0x5B621002 0x3E501002 0x4E561002 0x5B641002 0x3E541002</string>

The asterisk (*) is only meant to emphasize the change, do not enter them.

The next step is the one that not everyone has had to but I needed to for whatever reason. I had to add my device id in the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

CODEsudo nano -w /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

I had to change here in 2 places. <dict>

<key>1002*5460*-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</key>

<string>ATIRadeon9700GAFactory</string>

</dict>

<key>CFPlugInTypes</key>

<dict>

<key>ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904e</key>

<array>

<string>1002*5460*-0000-0000-0000-000a27898d3e</string>

After that I had to repair permissions.

CODEchmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensionschown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

next Remove kextcache

CODEsudo rm /system/library/extensions.kextcache

sudo rm /System/library/extessions.mkext

reboot

This gave me QE/CI support.But I could not even force a resolution change I was locked in at 1024x768

I then Installed kantana2c, just follow the instructions, This gave my the ability to change resolutions but disabled QE/CI.

DON'T FORGET TO DO THE POST-INSTALL STEP. READ THE README WHEN THE INSTALLER RUNS!!

Next I had to go back in and edit the ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin again and change the last line

from

<string>IONDRVFramebuffer</string>

to

<string>CallistoFB</string>

repaired again and deleted kextcache and mkext again.

Rebooted and I had QE/CI with the ability to select resolutions in the Dock/display.

Hope all this helps

You might note I did not have any version on Callistokext or CallistHal at the start of all this they are installed when you run the Kantana installer. You might want to back them up and delete them before you start if you have them already.

x300_VIDEO_FIX.zip

After doing the method I mentioned, I am now experiencing a rather annoying side affect. I am just curious if anyone elsehas experience this, or if you have any idea why I am experiencing this. Here is what happens

The first picture is my screen.

normal.png

Then i moved my firefox window just a little bit (I dragged it to a different location on my screen).

afterdrag.png

And that happens... Any ideas?

FYI - the person who gave me this method did not experience this side effect...

for what its worth, if this helps anyone understand my problem. I have discovered that if I show all windows (F9 key) then this problem no longer occurs. Then i if open a new window it might occur again, and again if i show all windows. it goes away for all the opened windows.

so showing all windows seems to fix the issue, for all the windows open at that time, but if i open a new window, it is not fixed...

does that make any sense to anyone?

I've been trying to get my card working in 10.4.7 (used the patched jas 10.4.8 disc though, dunno what's up with that) but to no avail. used the guides on page one for 10.4.3 just ofr fun and got it working, upgraded to .8 and no go. I used the new guide for the fresh install of .8 and it worked like a charm. I don't have the same problem but there is mouse tearing. so to anyone that gets this far that can't get anything working, try the last how to. And thanks to all who helped. Picture11.jpg

I'v got some problems here. I'v got an Dell Inspirion 6000 with x300.

After installing the katana patch i'v got a resolution of 1280 x 800.

Only problem is that I still don't have QE/CI working. Never ever got a slight thought it would.

Does anyone of you knows a way how to? I followed to to guides here, but both with the same result.

let me know if you got an idea, besides the written tutorials in this post!

this is the key to succes:

i got video working on my 6000 with the allinone package from the video howto: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...068&hl=x300

download the script, read the instructions.

i used ./doe.sh cal3 0x0x0 1 1

• 8 months later...
I'v got some problems here. I'v got an Dell Inspirion 6000 with x300.

After installing the katana patch i'v got a resolution of 1280 x 800.

Only problem is that I still don't have QE/CI working. Never ever got a slight thought it would.

Does anyone of you knows a way how to? I followed to to guides here, but both with the same result.

let me know if you got an idea, besides the written tutorials in this post!

this is the key to succes:

i got video working on my 6000 with the allinone package from the video howto: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...068&hl=x300

download the script, read the instructions.

i used ./doe.sh cal3 0x0x0 1 1

The link point me to home page of forum, could you give me exact link?

Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is a couple years old but this might help someone.

Firstly, thank you Daemian, your tutorial for getting this driver installed worked perfectly. I ended up with the same result as you though, the distortion as seen below. I found that forcing my max resolution at boot (for me, 1400x1050) fixed this problem as well as improved overall graphics performance. I used "Graphics Mode"="1400x1050x32" as a boot option and this problem went away. No graphical glitches at all and animations are much smoother. Using iAtkos 5i on a Dell Latitude D610.

As a side note, if anyone knows how to obtain the 1440x900 resolution for this card that would be appreciated. My laptop doesn't support this resolution but the monitor I hook it up to does.

After doing the method I mentioned, I am now experiencing a rather annoying side affect. I am just curious if anyone elsehas experience this, or if you have any idea why I am experiencing this. Here is what happens

The first picture is my screen.

normal.png

Then i moved my firefox window just a little bit (I dragged it to a different location on my screen).

afterdrag.png

And that happens... Any ideas?

FYI - the person who gave me this method did not experience this side effect...

• 1 month later...

nice to read that someone is having the same problem I have and that was able to solve. I'm still trying to solve using ideneb 1.4 but without success. I've followed a number of guides found on various forums but none of them was able to let me set-up the screen resolution.

The only working guide I've found was useful to enable the trackpad to click by tap on it :-( but screen resolution still locked to 1024x768.

Just for information my computer is a Dell Inspiron 6200 with ATI Radeon Mobility X300 with 128 MB RAM.

Anyone tried it on Kalyway 10.5.2? You mean that it work on 10.5.2 with Xpress 200? thx!

I've the x300 (device-ID 5460) fully working at 1680*1050 with QE & CI (except sleep mode and tv-out) on a Dell Inspiron 6000.

You can use my kexts and instructions, but use at your own risk (if it doesn't work you'll end up with a black screen).

bild2pw1.png

Thanks this worked great but warning do not replace the ati radeon kexts it will cause hole in the screen but works great with the original ati kexts

bild2pw1.png

How do you get QE working