M-audio Firewire 410

Scotty geek

15 posts in this topic

Hey all .. I been having problems useing a USB recording interface, there was a lot of odd popping issues that didn't show up when I booted into windows. So now Im looking at either getting a firewire 8ch mixer to record Mics, or the Maudio 410 firewire. I am looking at the 410 because of the optical outputs and midi support. I just want to know if anyone has this and how good or bad it is.

Thanks all

I have the 410 too. Installed perfectly with the drivers off the website. For some reason, however, now I get horrible high pitched distortion in XP but I'm talking with M-audio tech and hopefully I'll get that sorted out. No problems in osx except for occasional pops, don't know why, but not that frequent or noticeable.

But yeah its a great little thing...I think I would have rather had the mbox personally...but still almost just as good.

I have the 410 too. Installed perfectly with the drivers off the website. For some reason, however, now I get horrible high pitched distortion in XP but I'm talking with M-audio tech and hopefully I'll get that sorted out. No problems in osx except for occasional pops, don't know why, but not that frequent or noticeable.

But yeah its a great little thing...I think I would have rather had the mbox personally...but still almost just as good.

Do you use the 410 for inputs and out? Im sitting on the fence about getting that for both OR getting an Alisis Firewire 8/12 Mixer for 300.00 The mixer will have more inputs, but I'd have to use onboard sound for the audio out. Not always bad, but I have digital speakers and the 410 does have the digital out.

Do you use the 410 for inputs and out? Im sitting on the fence about getting that for both OR getting an Alisis Firewire 8/12 Mixer for 300.00 The mixer will have more inputs, but I'd have to use onboard sound for the audio out. Not always bad, but I have digital speakers and the 410 does have the digital out.

Yeah i use it for inputs and outs. I have inputs for two mics, or guitars if i use them. And then I use two of the 1/4 outs for my DX4 speakers. I would think the 410 is better than onboard sound for outputs...but if you'd rather have more inputs than better output sound then get that. What about the 18/14?

Same success here with FW 410 on an SSE2 Hacky, 10.4.8 latest Semthex kernel. The UB driver off M-audio's website works well except for a small annoyance where sometimes a little popup shows up asking for a firmware update :)

Apart from that it's running stable with Cubase 4 and a few VST plugs.

I've never done anything in Garageband but in the other DAWs I've worked with so far you can route the two inputs of the FW410 to separate channels simultaneously. I don't see why it shouldn't work in Garageband.

BTW some retailers state that the 410 has 4 inputs. This is technically correct but they often fail to mention that you can only use 2 inputs simultaneously.

I've had the 410 for over a year now, initially on windows. I then installed os x86 loved, it and bought a macbook. I'd reccomend the 410 to anyone into electronic music however if you want to increase inputs at a later date to work with bands etc you should shell out the extra cash for the M-Audio 1814 as it has ADAT support. If your not farmiliar with ADAT basically it is like the old digital 8 track ADAT tapes only it converts the signal to let you plug into a 8 channel pre-amp as oppose to a tape unit. This gives you the rock solid stability of firewire and 8 channels plus the two phantom powered inputs allready on the box (10 channels !). Behringer offer a ADAT pre amp for around $170 should you want to upgrade !

Need any help then feel free to message me ! I wish i waited longer and bought the 1814

• 2 weeks later...

To those using the 1814. I read that one needs to use the native firewire ports. Does that mean it won't work with my pci firewire card? Cause everything elsel works fine using my firewire card.