The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

good news!

I installed Titan and the graphics card and resolution works perfectly. I also managed to get my ethernet working. you guys have been a major help! and I want to thank you because my system now works perfectly with osx. I want to thank especially seadonkey, alfdog, user name_taken.

Fadinsky

i just finished installing 10.4.8 on my m1210 and everything is running well, just one thing....the fans seem to be making more noise than they did in XP. Is there something i missed? i think OS X is making them run at full speed the whole time or something.

thanks

i just finished installing 10.4.8 on my m1210 and everything is running well, just one thing....the fans seem to be making more noise than they did in XP. Is there something i missed? i think OS X is making them run at full speed the whole time or something.

thanks

This is an issue with osx and speedstep/cpu throttling, I know there is a thread discussing it on this site. It might get you a little bit more battery life, and quieter fans, but it won't fix the sleep/hibernate issue. I haven't tried it, but if you have any success please let us know.

I'm pretty sure the sleep problem has something to do with natit

Here's the thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865

This is an issue with osx and speedstep/cpu throttling, I know there is a thread discussing it on this site. It might get you a little bit more battery life, and quieter fans, but it won't fix the sleep/hibernate issue. I haven't tried it, but if you have any success please let us know.

I'm pretty sure the sleep problem has something to do with natit

Here's the thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865

thanks, i'll give it a try when i've reinstalled and let you know how it goes

[edit] just tried out the speedstep installer package in that thread...seems to work fine, fans are slowed down a bit too...although not as quiet as windows.

[edit] just tried out the speedstep installer package in that thread...seems to work fine, fans are slowed down a bit too...although not as quiet as windows.

Any noticable improvement in battery life? or heat?

Does your laptop sleep and recover properly now?

SOMEONE STOLE MY LAPTOP!

smashed my car window and grabbed my bag which had my dell m1210 laptop (win xp mce and osx 10.4.8) along with my ipod and checkbook.

argh!! die thieves!!!

keep a look out for anyone selling a m1210 with osx

thanks!

Ahhh man, I'm so sorry to hear about your laptop, I'd be pissed. I'm not quite sure how it works, but the XPS m1210 has "Computrace" built into the bios. Hopefully you had it enabled. Also, you can probably contact dell to figure out what your serial number was and report it to the police as well as juststolen.net

I'll keep an eye out in the usual places.

ok I can use all the help from you guys as possible. I am so confused .I have a 10.4.5 patched cd that crashes on boot, I think this is the JAs 10.4.5 Patched cd that doesn't boot.

Then I also got the JAS 10.4.8 Intel AMD SSE2 SEE3 Beta V2 DVD, Has any one used this dvd with the M1210? I can get video to work and just about everything. I on a few ocasions got

the ethernet to work. But forthe life of me I can't get wireless to work .Now I know there is a problem with the Intel 3945 cards that are in there. So I took it out and put in the same card that was in my intel mac mini. Only when i put this card in the M1210 I can use it in windows but I can't use it in OSX. It is detected as a Firewire interface. I checked the Plist files for the vender ID and they didn't match so I put it in there. I checked the NetworkInterfaces files and there is no interface for en1 or en0, everythign is for Firewire fw0.

When I got to network preferences I do not see notihgn but built in firewire enabled. I have done the steps in the forums for the cards with the Atheros Chipset and nothing happens. Sometimes I even get a kernel panic. I really want to install it on my dell XPS because my mini died. and I have alot of application I would like to use.

I am also getting a 10.4.8 SSE3 only dvd to see if that changes things.

Any help is appreciated.

There are at least 2 cards that should work right out of the box and can be purchased for > $10.00 on ebay. The following cards have been confirmed working as replacements for the intel internal cards (out of the box with no modifications):

Dell 1390 ($6.00 on ebay)

Dell 1490 rev4 ($10.00 on ebay)

dublued, that really sucks :thumbsup_anim:

I hope your vehicle insurance will cover it, sometimes they do cover theft.

If you do get money to replace it, check out the dell refurbished website. You can get amazing deals there.

I hate how this sounds like bragging, but I want other people to know the deals you can get.

My m1210 has:

Core2duo 7200 (2.0ghz 4mb)

2 gig ram

80gig (7200rpm)

Nvidia 7400

Webcam

DVD writer

Vista Premium

Standard battery (I got an extended off of ebay)

This was a certified refurbished, NOT a scratch and dent, and it has no visible scratches or anything.

1389+tax+free shipping = 1472 shipped

I tried finding a better deal for something equal to this on ebay and couldn't.

Jami,

I think that beta v2 dvd you have might work, but I think you'll need the mifki kernal to get the sound working, you can PM me if that's the case, and I'll send it to you.

but in short:

get the right iso

get the right wifi card on ebay

good luck and keep trying, I'm pretty sure none of us had things working on the first try =)

Seadonkey, fix your signature so it says both cores are working =) and have you tried the 10.4.9 update yet?

well at one point it would not install badly. The CD that I have used to work but all of a sudden it started mis reading my pci express devices. I am going to try again tonight. Is it possible that I need this kernel patch any way. Is it possible that this patch would help me with my devices as well?

I am an american in india so its not easy for me to find these parts, I would have to have someone from the US bring it for me. i am going to get the 1490 since alot of people are reporting success with this. I dont understand why this card isn't working. Go figure it came right out of an Apple Intel Mac Mini.

So I am confused in that even I am still downloading another cd to see what will work in this one.

Any other advice would be helpful. I have started to download the CD but here connection speeds are horrible to say the least so its going to be another week before I get it completed.

What files can I replace to get it to detect PCI devices. There is no info in the NetworkInfterfaces file should I add an entry my self. Or is this happening because my PCI devices are not being detected.

I am not sure guys,

Seadonkey, fix your signature so it says both cores are working =)

Huh? Am I missing something? :)

Also, I have not tried the 10.4.9 update yet. I'm kinda scared that one of my apps will quit working properly, I use OSX for work alot. The apps I use the most are Photoshop CS2, garagesale, firefox, thunderbird and aperture.

Have you heard of any issues with any of those and the update?

What files can I replace to get it to detect PCI devices. There is no info in the NetworkInfterfaces file should I add an entry my self. Or is this happening because my PCI devices are not being detected.

OSX should automatically detect hardware changes. A perfect example would be during my own (and many others') installation, I ended up replacing my intel 3945 series mini-pci express card with a 1390 after my installation. OSX detected it and everything worked.

Infact, I think we came to the conclusion that in order to properly install that card, OSX had to be installed first. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

so is it possible that I have to remove the card, install OSX and then install the card again?

It is the same card that was in the Intel Mac Mini. The other thing is that I am not sure which kernel I have installed or which is the best to use for the Dell XPS 1210 which is what I am installing it on.

Dell XPS M1210: XP + JAS 10.4.8 Mifki

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz - (Only one core works) <---- both cores are working now =)

RAM: 2GB @ 667mhz DDR2

Video: Nvidia Geforce GO7400 - (QE/QE2D/CI supported w/Natit universal 1.0)

Audio: Sigmatel 9220 - (FULLY WORKING! speakers and all!!!)

Storage:100gb 7200RPM Seagate SATA

Optical: Dual layer DVD +/- RW - (Fully working)

Ethernet: Broadcom 440x - (Fully working)

Dell 1390 b/g - (Working as Airport Express)

Bluetooth: Dell 355 - (Working)

Touchpad/usb: works - (no 2 finger scrolling, tapping works)

Webcam: tried macam and Logitech osx drivers - (NOT working)

Interal card reader - (not working)

ACPI- DISPLAY WON'T RECOVER FROM SLEEP HELP!

Click here for my XPS m1210 Installation Tutorial

"Also, I have not tried the 10.4.9 update yet. I'm kinda scared that one of my apps will quit working properly, I use OSX for work alot. The apps I use the most are Photoshop CS2, garagesale, firefox, thunderbird and aperture."

I can see your point for not wanting to mess with a good thing, I haven't had any problems at all, but I don't use this for work, and I don't use photoshop. A good indicator for what would be affected is probably the official notes for the 10.4.9 install. I've installed ilife, iwork, office 2004, firefox all preupdate and no problems.

Jami,

The mifki kernal is only needed to get the speakers working. I'm sorry about your slow internet speeds, that's rough.

As for getting that card in India, I think your best bet is going through Dell directly

here are the product links for both the 1390 and 1490 cards, so you can get part/model numbers

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=430-1731

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=430-1733

here is the phone number for Dell in India, I'm not sure if the 1-800 number will work there.

Call1800- 425- 4026 Toll Free or Call 080-2506-8026 (standard charges apply)

as I've said before...

Good Luck

you definitely have a challange on your hands

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but since we are all m1210 owners, and OSx86 users, and macbooks have slot load drives...

I saw this, and now I'm getting tempted to get one just for the hell of it.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=175305

I'm not sure what the current model is, but NEC used to make an excellent slot load dvd dual layer burner that had a flashable (hackable) firmware which allowed it to be region free, rip unlock, support for bitsetting (book typing eg: making a dvd+R appear as a dvd-rom for compatablity). I have the non slot loading version for my other laptop and Its great for burning ps2 and xbox games.

I'm not sure what the current model is, but NEC used to make an excellent slot load dvd dual layer burner that had a flashable (hackable) firmware which allowed it to be region free, rip unlock, support for bitsetting (book typing eg: making a dvd+R appear as a dvd-rom for compatablity). I have the non slot loading version for my other laptop and Its great for burning ps2 and xbox games. For more info you should check out the cdfreaks forums: http://club.cdfreaks.com/

I just insalled natit using the universal insaller (before i did it manually with 0.02 version)....i restarted and after the loading apple screen it just stayed black...i restarted again and then the screen resolution was sideways like...800x1280 insead of 1280 x 800.....is there something i missed? i have the exact same specs as you seaDonkey :lol:

I just insalled natit using the universal insaller (before i did it manually with 0.02 version)....i restarted and after the loading apple screen it just stayed black...i restarted again and then the screen resolution was sideways like...800x1280 insead of 1280 x 800.....is there something i missed? i have the exact same specs as you seaDonkey ;)

I would try installing natit manually. I believe that your ISO is different than mine and you are not the first person to have that problem. The solution (step by step, very easy) is on post #71 of this topic.

I would try installing natit manually. I believe that your ISO is different than mine and you are not the first person to have that problem. The solution (step by step, very easy) is on post #71 of this topic.

thanks seaDonkey! i used Titan this time and it worked fine, however no recover from sleep etc. One strange thing worth noting, when i installed the natit universal 1.0 i got lucky one time...i rebooted with -s and got blank screen, but then restarted with -v and it loaded up with the correct resolution, and whats more it went to sleep while i was eating dinner and when i came back it recovered from sleep fine. I tried it a few times and then just with "turn display off" and both worked fine, i then rebooted and it just gave me the wrong res and never worked again :2cents:. Maybe it was just a one off....who knows.

A few questions...

1) Which iso would you suggest, SSE3 ONLY, or SSE2 + SSE3 + AMD + Intel?

2) Why is it every time i drag the audio text file into HDA patcher, the computer gets the dark screen (windows version of the blue screen..)

3) Can we dual boot vista with this easily?

Thanks.

as far as the two iso's go, they both have their advantages:

If you use the iso in the guide, you don't have to mess with the mifki kernel to get your speakers working.

If you use the other one I'm using, you don't have to mess with natit, as it's built in.

I'm pretty sure you can dual boot this with Vista, but you'll have to do a little searching as to which bootloader is the better one to use. I'm triple booting Ubuntu, OSx86, and Vista, and I use the GRUB bootloader in linux, because I'm somewhat familiar to it, and I think it's easier, but hey, that's just me.

First off I would like to thank seaDonkey for writing this great guide, and also the rest of you that have contributed to great feedback to his guide. I have a question though, what is the difference between Titan and Natit (Titan backwards wtf?)? What is the best for gaming? I was hoping I'd be able to run WoW on Mac OS X :) I'm using the GeForce 7400 btw.

First off I would like to thank seaDonkey for writing this great guide, and also the rest of you that have contributed to great feedback to his guide. I have a question though, what is the difference between Titan and Natit (Titan backwards wtf?)? What is the best for gaming? I was hoping I'd be able to run WoW on Mac OS X :P I'm using the GeForce 7400 btw.

Welcome to IM Slayte,

Titan was the original release from omni, Natit is the open source version which has some updated and modified versions of titan. I think for gaming the natit universal 1.0 seems to be quite good and from what i have seen that 7400 should have no problems with wow since some have run it from intel gma.

[edit] heres the link for natit uni http://installers.dl.am/

appleHDA patch would crash when running Semthex kernel, type uname -a in the terminal to check what kernel you're running.

Download DaemonES or Mifki kernels

Drop kernel in the root, give it another name, at boot press F8 and type the new name.

type uname -a in terminal to make sure, now use the Taruga's patcher, reboot.

So I'm struggling with the speakers, even when I install using JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only it doesn't seem to install using mifkis, eventhough I pick it when installing. I have tried using Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] and then putting the mifkis kernel (got it from alfdog who got it from dublued) into the root directory (which I assume is just putting it into the first folder that open when you press the HDD shortcut on the desktop, though not sure), but it does not work! Using uname -a in the terminal I can see that it says:

semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I1386 i1386 i1386

However, when I attempt to use mifki by putting it into root or when I installed with the JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only iso. It doesn't say semthex, but it doesn't say mifki either....It says:

xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I1386 i1386 i1386

Is this mifki? If so, it doesn't seem to work with the HDAPatcher and the sigmatel text document. It says when I try to drag the .txt over the patcher:

* Detected unsupported SigmaTel Codec Exiting...:)

Any advice guys? I really wanna make this work. I noticed that the numbers from the text file is wrong, it says sigmatel9221.txt, and not 9220, shouldn't it be 9220? Could this be why it's not working?