The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

The semthex kernel will not work properly with your speakers (you can patch your kernel to a kernel that will work though), you can change your wifi card to a compatible one and the GEForce 7400 GO only has 64mb dedicated ram (the rest is shared, up to 256mb with 2GB of DDR ram).

Please read through the thread because every one of your questions is answered.

My appologies for having asked same questions again. I guess I didn't read them carefully enough.

anyway to get USB2 to work ?

My appologies for having asked same questions again. I guess I didn't read them carefully enough.

anyway to get USB2 to work ?

How are you testing your usb 2.0? When I go to system profiler, my system has 2 usb busses and a highspeed

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location:	Built In USB
 Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
 PCI Device ID:	0x27cc
 PCI Revision ID:	0x0001
 PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086
 Bus Number:	0xfd

I also tested a USB 2.0 HD on different ports and every time it shows up under the highspeed bus, where my mouse is detected on the normal usb bus. It transfers 130mb file in less than 3 seconds.

How are you testing your usb 2.0? When I go to system profiler, my system has 2 usb busses and a highspeed

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location:	Built In USB
Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID:	0x27cc
PCI Revision ID:	0x0001
PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086
Bus Number:	0xfd

I also tested a USB 2.0 HD on different ports and every time it shows up under the highspeed bus, where my mouse is detected on the normal usb bus. It transfers 130mb file in less than 3 seconds.

I ran system profiler, shows me I have 4 USB and 1 USB high speed, but everytime I connect a usb2 key into the slot, it's only picking up as USB and not the high speed one. Anyway I'm not very worried about that one yet.

I also ran the Mifki kernel and have speakers working now.

I've also installed the speed throttler, still no sleep or wake, but it does appear to have slowed down the fan speeds a bit.

If only both cores work.

oh one more thing, I have 2gigz of 667 RAM, I've placed the fsb=166 in the file,

but I cannot get the time on the X to sync with the windows time,

I have turned off the autotime sync. and changed the date/time myself.

But everytime I change on the Mac side, the windows side is wrong and vice versa.

Help ????

I ran system profiler, shows me I have 4 USB and 1 USB high speed, but everytime I connect a usb2 key into the slot, it's only picking up as USB and not the high speed one. Anyway I'm not very worried about that one yet.

I also ran the Mifki kernel and have speakers working now.

I've also installed the speed throttler, still no sleep or wake, but it does appear to have slowed down the fan speeds a bit.

If only both cores work.

oh one more thing, I have 2gigz of 667 RAM, I've placed the fsb=166 in the file,

but I cannot get the time on the X to sync with the windows time,

I have turned off the autotime sync. and changed the date/time myself.

But everytime I change on the Mac side, the windows side is wrong and vice versa.

Help ????

First boot into windows and set the time

Restart into OSX (your time will be wrong)

Uncheck auto date/time

Set timezone incorrectly until the date/time is correct

Also make sure that you have the daylight savings update installed (only install this update if needed, do not install any other updates without first searching these forums)

Hope that helps.

First boot into windows and set the time

Restart into OSX (your time will be wrong)

Uncheck auto date/time

Set timezone incorrectly until the date/time is correct

Also make sure that you have the daylight savings update installed (only install this update if needed, do not install any other updates without first searching these forums)

Hope that helps.

Got it...

great...thanks for your help.

Well I gave this a shot last night and this is what I have and where I am at now:

Laptop:

-Dell m1210

-t7400 CPU

-2GIG 667 ram

-Geforce 7400

-Intel Wireless Card

What I Did:

-Installed the Jas 10.4.8.Intel.Amd.SSE2.SSE3.iso - had way more seeds than the intel.only one and downloaded in a few hours instead of 11 days

-did the sigmatel patch in the installer

-got it dual booting with vista

-installed the acronis bootmanager, got it working for dual boot with vista

What I Got:

-No internet from the wireless-knew that

-did the broadcom patches for the ethernet port, get no internet still

-had no speakers, tried the speaker patch, didn't work. tried the updated 1.15 patcher, patched, now I have no sound at all and no speaker icon in osx - realized it was a kernel thing

-video seems fine, but no vga output-using the keyboard hotkey freezes osx

Should I start over and try and get the net working first, or should I try and get the intel.only iso? Should I stick with the iso I have, switch the kernel, then try and get sound and net working. Speakers aren't a huge thing for me if headphones work, so I can live without that, but net is another story. Could the patch here not work right with the kernel from my version. And anyone else have luck with the vga?

Thanks and what a neat little laptop. Hehehe.

I'd say give it another shot. I haven't tried my vga out, so I'm not sure on that. Doing that ethernet file "surgery" can be a little tricky. If you need that mifki kernal, just send me a pm. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to start downloading the iso used in the guide either. Seadonkey has posted the MD5 for it in an earlier reply.

good luck

alf

Thx for the kernel, fixed my sound, speakers and redid the net it seems to be working fine now. I think those files and this guide are very specific to that kernel. Still means you can use either iso ( the one I used had the video drivers in alread) and just replace the kernel to still use all the files from the tutorial.

Now, how the hell do you maximize a window to fill the whole screen like a normal "windows" maximize does. lol. Thanks for the help alfdog.

Has anyone here tried installing the latest security update? I ran it and have no problems so far. BUT I had the JAS 10.4.9 update already installed.

Do you know where I can find the Jas 10.4.9 update ? I'm keen to give my install an upgrade and see what happens.

cheers

Has anyone here tried installing the latest security update? I ran it and have no problems so far. BUT I had the JAS 10.4.9 update already installed.

Sorry alfdog, I got your name mixed up....my brain was elsewhere today.

Well I can get external display on my TV through the svideo port, but still nothing on the VGA port with a monitor hooked up. Anyone have any ideas on getting the vga working?

I have not tried it, but has anyone tested the natit dual method?

I tried the Natit Dual v.02 or whatever the latest is, but it didn't enable dual displays. I just used the installer and didn't try a manual install cause I didn't want to mess up the system as a whole. I briefly read through other discussions of extended display support and it sounds like you have to hard code some of the information about your display in order for it to work.

I tried the Natit Dual v.02 or whatever the latest is, but it didn't enable dual displays. I just used the installer and didn't try a manual install cause I didn't want to mess up the system as a whole. I briefly read through other discussions of extended display support and it sounds like you have to hard code some of the information about your display in order for it to work.

You do have to edit some files, but all I believe you need is the device ID for you 7400 which can be found under system profiler.

I ran the 10.4.9 update, it killed my install until I booted up again with 8.9.1 kernel. Then it rebooted fine.

However, I did notice that I couldn't connect to any network computers. My network card seems to be working as I can still browse web. But just cannot connect to a network drive where in 10.4.8 I was able.

Also just ran the new security updates, seems to be working fine.....

still no connection to network drives though..

any thoughts ?

I ran the 10.4.9 update, it killed my install until I booted up again with 8.9.1 kernel. Then it rebooted fine.

However, I did notice that I couldn't connect to any network computers. My network card seems to be working as I can still browse web. But just cannot connect to a network drive where in 10.4.8 I was able.

Also just ran the new security updates, seems to be working fine.....

still no connection to network drives though..

any thoughts ?

There is a patch in that folder that fixes the network problem.

Anybody have any updates on m1210 compatibility? Has anybody tried the LaptopDisplay kext with it? Anybody have success with extended display working. I've got natit dual installed correctly, it causes some different startup behavior than titan, but that's about it. No extended display working, although in the system profilier, it looks like it's looking for two displays. Is there any way I can explicitly code the natit info.plist to tell it where to look for the second display?

This is really aggravating me.. been trying to get OSX just booting on my m1210 with no success.

I've used both JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY.install.dvd.iso and JAS 10.4.8 AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 and PPF2.iso, both without success.

Neither can boot. The ONLY.install.dvd.iso gives me a missing operating system error and the PPF1 and PPF2.iso starts to load OSX with the apple icon but then flashes a screen with weird lines horizontally and then stays in a black screen permanently.

I'm going to try JAS 10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.iso and if that doesn't work, I'm giving up permanently :hysterical:

EDIT: I reinstalled without checking titan or the hardware compatibility package and OSX finally boots!! :). If anyone else has my problem, you know what to do..

Anybody have any updates on m1210 compatibility? Has anybody tried the LaptopDisplay kext with it? Anybody have success with extended display working. I've got natit dual installed correctly, it causes some different startup behavior than titan, but that's about it. No extended display working, although in the system profilier, it looks like it's looking for two displays. Is there any way I can explicitly code the natit info.plist to tell it where to look for the second display?

The svideo works ok no problem but nothing for the vga port so far. Got my dell 1390 card today. finally got wireless. now just dual display and i would be happy.