The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation + Dual Boot Tutorial

seaDonkey

572 posts in this topic

yesssss! got the 1390 today!

installed and fired her up. detected and connected with no problems at all.

i've attached a vga monitor and it works perfectly fine as an extended display.

now only the speakers are a problem. any suggestions?

everytime i drag the file into apploader it crashes my system and i have to restart.

Good to hear you got your airport extreme working! Did you ever get QE/CI?

I wonder if your motherboard has a different audio chip than the geforce 7400GO board does that I have. Have you tried the newest appleHDA patcher (v1.15)? It can be found HERE.

Please update for everyone if you come up with a solution.

Good to hear you got your airport extreme working! Did you ever get QE/CI?

I wonder if your motherboard has a different audio chip than the geforce 7400GO board does that I have. Have you tried the newest appleHDA patcher (v1.15)? It can be found HERE.

Please update for everyone if you come up with a solution.

Ok, so i've reformatted and reinstalled a few more times. lol... i'm sure to get it right if i do it just a few more times maybe.

so this time around seems like everything is working in good order (except for speakers).

During the custom install, i chose the Intel 900 for video and QE/CI is enabled.

the headphone jacks seem to work when i choose the sigmatel audio option as you suggested in the writeup.

I'll try the latest patcher when i get home. i really hope it'll work. other than that, everything is working fabulously.

i'll update whether the new patcher worked for me or not.

oh and by the way... my friend is the one that bought the 1390 cards for us. unfortunately his vaio does not that that card. so if anybody needs the dell intel pro 1390 internal wifi card.... drop me a line.

it crashes even with the new patcher. so i don't know what's up with that.

i have a new problem now. the wifi only works when i first install OSX

after restarting it does not work. no matter how many times i restart OSX or if i boot into windows then restart or any other way or restarting.

it just doesn't work.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

it crashes even with the new patcher. so i don't know what's up with that.

i have a new problem now. the wifi only works when i first install OSX

after restarting it does not work. no matter how many times i restart OSX or if i boot into windows then restart or any other way or restarting.

it just doesn't work.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

In regards to the audio, perhaps you can post your situation in the appleHDA patch thread.

As for the wifi, how exactly is it not working? You have the internal Dell 1390, is this correct?

Edited by seaDonkey

Hi...I also have same problem with dell 1390 card...internal one...shows it as being there but being off....can't figure out how to get it on....will work right after install....but when reboot....goes away.....got sound and wired ethernet working good on this xps1210....sweet machine...thanks for all your help...

When I was purchasing my 1390, I noticed that there were two different versions (different manufacturer numbers or revisions). I will find out what version mine is and let you know how to check yours.

Mine is Rev A01 (posted on label) Broadcom Based - BCM4311KFBG.

Also, if you look on eBay you'll notice that there are two internal 1390 types: pc559 (the one I bought) and YH774.

I have no idea if the second part means anything, or how to check for that.

thanks for checking on that for me seaDonkey.....not sure what to do...everything else works great so far...wonder if I need to edit anything.....as with all things...more research....thanks alot for all your efforts...

I get the wireless working by taking out the wireless card....then reinstalling osx...then did the ethernet install...then shut down and then installed the wireless card back in....rebooted...it auto detected the wireless card...then came up with an error on the ethernet card...said kext was wrong....buj so far the wireless has worked after 4 reboots....will have to check on the on board ethernet set up...thanks for help...maybe this will help others...

appleHDA patch would crash when running Semthex kernel, type uname -a in the terminal to check what kernel you're running.

Download DaemonES or Mifki kernels

Drop kernel in the root, give it another name, at boot press F8 and type the new name.

type uname -a in terminal to make sure, now use the Taruga's patcher, reboot.

hi all!

new updates from my end:

i did that trick mentioned by turk101 and the airport is working very nicely now.

to test out all possibilities, i tried the following...

I restarted into OSX a few times.

Then restarted into windows.

Restarted back into OSX.

Restarted back into windows, hibernated, then booted into OSX.

Airport worked in all instances.

I have rev A03. So i guess if you have A03 then you have to put in the 1390 internal card after you are done doing the install.

i checked my kernel version as suggested by mutis and got the following:

Darwin username-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 2:18:27 AZ0T 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

so i guess i do have the semthex. where do i go about downloading

Hello all,

First of all, I'd like to say I'm a total noob to the whole OSx86 scene, but I stumbled across this guide a week after I just received my new (refurbished) m1210. Talk about good timing =)

Anyways, the Jas 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY... mifki? seemed to be a little hard to find.

I guess there are new Jas releases such as the SSE2 and SSE3 version, and that version that is patched.

I wasn't sure which one to try, so I've just started with the SSE2+3 non patched version. So far after using seadonkey's guide, I've gotten everything working minus the speakers and wireless (1390 should arrive anyday $6 on ebay).

On the Jas SSE2+3 non patched version, there was no option for the "combo update", and there was a box for the Natit. I decided "what the heck" and checked the option for Natit. Of course, after I got most things working, curiosity killed the cat, and I said to myself, maybe the version I downloaded is newer... Well, after installing the downloaded version on top of the version that came with the DVD, chaos ensued. Everytime I reboot, my screen rotates 90 degrees clockwise, I'm glad I can laugh at myself about this, but as a little reminder to others who might be thinking this... don't do it, heh

Thanks again for the time you put in Seadonkey, I'll try to be back with an update soon

Alf

triple booting Ubuntu, Vista, and OSX ;)

After I ran through this guide I have everything working as it said it would (still searching for a webcam solution and not giving up on the wireless card yet). However, when I ran mac update I couldn't boot into OS X (currently triple booting my PC with XP and Fedora as well). I would select Mac OS X but it kept just rebooting. Any ideas on why this is happening or what I can do to fix this (I am scared to do it again...I INSTALLED THIS ABOUT 50 TIMES!!!!)?

Everytime I reboot, my screen rotates 90 degrees clockwise, I'm glad I can laugh at myself about this, but as a little reminder to others who might be thinking this... don't do it, heh

Try to navigate to system preferences, displays and select "detect displays."

If this doesn't work AND if , you can run the natit uninstall script by entering single user mode (restart, hit f8 before the apple screen, select osx and type -s) and entering the following:

mount -uw /
rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
reboot

After I ran through this guide I have everything working as it said it would (still searching for a webcam solution and not giving up on the wireless card yet). However, when I ran mac update I couldn't boot into OS X (currently triple booting my PC with XP and Fedora as well). I would select Mac OS X but it kept just rebooting. Any ideas on why this is happening or what I can do to fix this (I am scared to do it again...I INSTALLED THIS ABOUT 50 TIMES!!!!)?

Sorry to hear that your installation is broken. I've always struggled with which updates to get. I've successfully installed the daylight savings update, however, I've read that the java update messed with safari. Also, I've seen patchers that allow you to update with the security updates, but without the patcher, you will damage your install. I've also been holding off on the airport update. I'll look into this and post my findings.

This link should help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=patcher

Please let us know if you learn anything.

I tried both of those Seadonkey, no suck luck... I've already reinstalled, heh.

You're super fast with the replies btw. Speakers are still a no go, but I'm just waiting for the older mifki version to finish downloading. I still have the first headphone jack, so I'll live.

thanks again

so i guess the only thing left is the card reader and the webcam huh?

wow if those can be worked out, the xps m1210 will be a great off the shelf pc for osx

alfdog, do you want the mifki kernel file? it's only a few megs

Back again =)

Dublued, I'll let you know soon if I need that file. I think I actually already downloaded it off of his site, 1.7megs I think. I'm at work atm, and I'll have to check on that later.

Unfortunately, I'm a total beginner when it comes to OSx86. Can someone help me understand the "concept" of the "mifki kernel"? I've only been at this for literally a day and a half, I've scoured google/wikipedia trying to learn as much as I can. This is what I understand so far... mifki's kernal is more "original" i.e. less 3rd party, while semtex's is more "compatible" with some of the other pc hardware.

Now, what I have so far are two different JAS iso's.

The SSE2+3 beta2 non patched (what I have currently installed)

and SSE2+3 Patched (just finished downloading last night)

I also have the earlier? SSE3 INTEL ONLY iso downloading, but it's going very slow. Is that the mifki kernal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding the SSE2+3 iso's already have the "mifki kernal" integrated?

Or do I need to manually add/install/merge the mifki kernal? pre(slipstream) or post install?

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great, as I'm sure that's the solution to my speaker problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience has been great, I never thought I'd enjoy tinkering with OSX so much.

What I've learned so far is:

Always use the left headphone jack, don't mess around with switching jacks, it caused an error with a mp3 file I was playing in iTunes.

Turn off any instances of "sleep" in the power management settings. Also, I think the screensaver or "monitor off" is causing a lock up.

The front volume keys work, but the play, pause, forward, ect. don't. This is very minor issue.

I've installed the Java update, Itunes update, and another one I can't think of, with no problems so far. I didn't install the airport update (didn't think it was necessary) and I'm still waiting on my 1390. I didn't install the 10.4.9 update for intel, as I'm pretty sure this will cause some problems.

Webcam and mic, I don't really use, so no biggie.

SD card reader I can live without. I do have a 2gb SD card I used for my treo 650, but now it's being used mainly for Vista's Readyboost. I just recently got a Patriot 4gb usb stick, and I have to say, that thing has made my OSx86 installs 10 times easier.

The only thing I really wish I could fix is the the sleep issue. If I find anything useful, I'll let you guys know.

Has anyone tried installing the 10.4.9 update? That would be a great idea for a part 2 of this guide, hint hint :rolleyes:

Thanks again, I'm finding this forum/guide to be more fun than the ubuntu forums.

alf

yea don't bother with the 10.4.9 update

you'll get stuck in a restart loop.

i wanted to format and increase my partiition size anyway so gave that update a try.

before the 10.4.9 update, i had installed all the other updates with not a single problem.

20 gigs is not enough once you start having fun with osx :P

If it helps, the version that I wrote the guide with has the following md5: A1960475511FFB5ECC7447AC7D71D44C

JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso

It gives you the choice of either kernel via combo updates.

Thanks Seadonkey, trying to get the right one...

"Jas 10.4.8 Amd Intel Sse2 Sse3" was the one I was using. It has built in natit which is nice, but I can't for the life of me get the speakers working... I even did my own codec dump in linux, to use with the HDA patcher.