Coming Soon: Install Guide for x200 users

mchouin

158 posts in this topic

If I could get a list of your hardware, that would help. Another trick that might help is deleting Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext from your /System/Library directory every time you shut down. For some reason I had to do that with earlier versions of OS X. If you forget to, just boot with -f.

I have booted with -f quite a few times now, no difference. The exact computer that I bought can be found here, but with an added HDD, (added onto the SLAVE connector of the IDE controller).

I've looked at the source of the driver and unfortunately it looks as though it should work fine with 2 channels. Out of interest, when it boots, it says it's looking to boot from a specific UUID, is it possible to specify an UUID to boot from via a startup parameter or something?

Ugh....you gotta hate this chipset. I dunno how much more help I can be here. I've installed os x many times using my guide and by doing extra tweaks here and there, but this is frustrating. I'm not exactly a mac guru, so someone else will have to help you out here. Sorry squimmy, and I know exactly how you feel; it took me about a month to get os x running on my laptop.

10.4.8 (Jas) AMD istall installed flawlessly though im still researching on how to fix Ethernet

Pentium D 945 3.4ghz(3.8ghz) 2x2mb L2 cache

Ecs K7vmm with ati express 200 chipset (on board video)

NVIDIA GeForce 7600gs 256mb

1gb Kingston 4200 pc533

400gb segate 7200rpm

2 USB-PCI cards

Network Everywhere NIC

Dual layer dvdRW

(First off: I am using every exact program/version/.iso listed in marc's blog-

So my installation would run as smoothly as possible. Which it does, in the beginning at least.)

Okay, problem:

when i install the osx through vmware- everything works fine. (IN VMWARE) im able to see everything- able to finish all set up pages (ie, time zone, etc.) and enter osx (through vmware.) I then uninstall stpd, and installed MACDRIVE 6. However, macdrive cannot recognize for some reason, that this partition exists. (I do not know when how or where to type this '/sbin/mount -uw) So instead, i went into vmware once again, loaded the workstation again- and being able to see the extension file, i just deleted the applegeneric and isoubfamily this way. Now, once these are deleted, now apple is freezing on the boot screen and I can not even open it/not thru Acronis NOR in vmware.

So i am back to reinstalling it once again. I am confident that I am close, especially since i can see the OSX desktop in vmware). But I am missing something. Any suggestions of where i can be going wrong? What I did not try is after installing osx, rebooting to acronis, and trying to enter osx BEFORE i try deleting these .kexts

Will this work? Is it NECESSARY to delete them?

Any and all ideas/help are greatly appreciated.

_____

SPECS: Toshiba Laptop m115

Intel Celeron M processor 420@ 1.60 GHz

ATI Radeon XPress 200M

IDE HArddrive

I installed using Jas 10.4.7 and I can boot in VMWare just fine but I still get them {censored} ACPI (Advance Configuration of Power Interfaces) errors.

Heres the exact error....

Can not find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Jas 10.4.8 doesn't boot in Vmware and Native, it just sits there with that underscore in the top left corner all day, but that was before I found out about this guide, so I am going to try the stuff in the X200 guide.

RobbieS,

MacDrive would only work for me if I followed this procedure:

- Uninstall STPD

- Restart

- Install MacDrive

- Restart

If I tried uninstalling STPD and installing MacDrive at once then restarting, MacDrive was having problems recognizing the Mac partition. As for your installing problems, try simply inserting the mac dvd in your laptop and then restarting. This guide worked for my computer, but others such as errandwolfe have reported it to work without using VMware.

Edited by mchouin

I think this all relates back to not having a solid basis of what distro we are using. I recommended one for Mchouin that on my x200M system boots perfectly, no VMWare needed. Unfortunately I have a feeling I provided him with the wrong torrent name. I had downloaded my copy several weeks before and since there have been so many JaS 10.4.8 releases I think I picked the wrong one to tell him to download.

This weekend I will begin seeding this specific distro of 10.4.8. Once I have it up I will give it a very specific name on the green demon. I will then post this name in this thread.

I think this will solve a LOT of problems for everyone out there. Mchouin (sorry if I am botching the spelling of your name) did a great job at putting together a guide, but I don't think it does much good if we don't all start with the same base distribution.

Errandwolfe,

This is a great idea and I will definitely try out the distro you will be seeding. Maybe I'll write out another guide to go along with it if it needs tweaking. (You've got the right spelling of my name btw).

Also, has anyone had success with my guide? This will be a great disappointment if these instructions only work with my machine :).

OK, for testing purposes and to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I backed up my OS X partition and then wiped it. I did an install with this distro one more time and sure enough, installed natively no problem. Sound and network (LAN not Wifi) worked right on boot. I definitly think this distro is the way to go. Stay tuned for information on where to obtain it.

OK, for testing purposes and to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I backed up my OS X partition and then wiped it. I did an install with this distro one more time and sure enough, installed natively no problem. Sound and network (LAN not Wifi) worked right on boot. I definitly think this distro is the way to go. Stay tuned for information on where to obtain it.

Installed with UDMA on ati chips?

Which distro are you using? that way I can give it a try- this v1p and deviant isnt working for me.

I can SEE ALL of the osx in vwmare, but i cant get it to load off of acronis.

For the life of me, i have no idea what is the problem.

Tis something to do with my setup - I found a 10.4.6 cd, with the ati ixp driver loaded on it so the driver was definitely working. Anyway, by viewing disk utility I could see that the driver found my hard drive but it couldn't read any info on it, no partitions no nothing.

So its something to do with my hardware.

God double triple damnit.

Edited by squimmy

Robbie,

That is the thing, I don't know what distro it is. I thought it was the one I recommended to Mchouin and he referenced in his guide, but judging by the need for VMWare in his method, I do not think this is the same distro. I will be posting it up to the green demon and seeding all this weekend. When I post it up there it will have a specific name such as "JaS 10.4.8 for x200" so we can all be 100% sure we start with the same baseline distro.

Squimmy,

Yes on an ATI x200M chipset.

yes, i made it 'primary/bootable' and xp is 'primary active' then when i click on unknown operating system, it says 'MRB 3 Error, then loading Darwin x86." what i need to do is find a way to get it to give me the option to boot in safe mode. But F8 doesnt work. is there a setting in acronis that maybe im missing?

OK, there is now a torrent up on the Green Demon called "JaS 10.4.8 - PPF1 for x200M Chipset". This is is the distro I have been using. Boots off IDE DVD-ROM, sound and lan work out of the box. Only thing you need to tweak is wifi and video.

I figure this will all give us a good base line distribution and hopefully prevent everyone from having to use the VMWare method. I will seed this for 1 week, so please if you dl it, keep seeding for others.

errandwolfe, thanks for posting this for us. I have a similar release im sure :

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1].iso

And I just bought an external DVD burner, so i am burning the .iso now.

Afterwards, I am going to use Acronis, create a primary Fat32 partition.

Next, how do i get my cd/dvd-rom drive to load the OSX on the second partition.

This is my computer's specs...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Toshiba_Satellite_...7-32126751.html

I have tried so many different ways to get osx to install , diskpart, vmware, etc. and none have worked so far- so any direction would be most appreciated. thanks.