HP dv6000 & dv9000 series

Mammoth

432 posts in this topic

Hi there

I only have a dv1000. I was able to install OSX 10.4.8

I struggled for hours to get Airport to recognize my wifi card. I used "Simple Broadcom Wireless Tutorial..." by Sportman to get my Broadcom dev 4320 to work.

Problems:

DVD player doesn't work

and Sleep doesn't work

If you have any answer to either of those, let me know...

Thanks

DVD player has never worked for me. Even on my (almost) perfect eMachines OS X86. As long as the drive is supported, you can use other media players... like one that supports divx and xvid.

On sleep... I haven't tried yet, but I know there are a couple of tutorials floating around about that.

Hope this helps,

Nd

Edited by NdofTaWorld

Hello,

I'd like to share my HP dv1000 installation.

I've installed the version 10.4.6 JaS.

My notebook: HP Pavilion dv1740br - This is a Brazilian's version of dv1000 series.

- Intel Celeron M410, 1.46 GHz.

- 2 x 256 MB, DDR2 533 MHz.

- HD SATA 60 GB 5400 RPM.

- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, 128 MB Shared.

- 14.1" WXGA+ TFT Widescreen / Brightview - Working natively at 1280x768.

- 56k HSF HDA FAX Modem - Not Working (I think that it won't never work).

- Ethernet: Intel Corporation Intel® PRO/100 VE - Working.

- WLAN: Broadcom Corporation 4311 - Working as AirPort

- Audio: Conexant High Definition Audio - Output only. No Mic ^_^ (I really need a mic) (Conexant HD Audio.pkg)

- Multimedia buttons: Only the volume buttons working.

- ABNT2 Keyboard. Working with Rafa's patch

How can I upgrade to 10.4.8 version?

LP

I don't know about doing an upgrade, but I think it's well worth the effort to backup what you have and start with a fresh load of 10.4.8.

agreed.

Upgrading is a totally different can of worms. If you want to attempt an upgrade, I suggest you search the forums for threads specific to upgrading to 10.4.8.

i just installed osx on my HP DV6103nr (same as the 6108nr, it was a special model for Black Friday)

installed along with Intel SSE, GMA 500, and Battery Performance

MAJOR PROBLEM. the ethernet will not load.

i have the Intel 100 Pro VE, and loading the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 doesn't work.

Loaded the Apple8255x.kext and that didn't work.

i'm running out of ideas. this wasn't a problem when i loaded OS X on my dv1000. Please HELP!!!

DVD player has never worked for me. Even on my (almost) perfect eMachines OS X86. As long as the drive is supported, you can use other media players... like one that supports divx and xvid.

On sleep... I haven't tried yet, but I know there are a couple of tutorials floating around about that.

Hope this helps,

Nd

Hey thanks Nd, I read somewhere that the OSX DVD player works with OpenGL...as I am a complete noob I am not sure how to configure the Intel Graphics chip to tweak it.

Speaking of graphics, then, as it is, I am stuck at 1024x768, no other choices. So the screen graphics are flattened out. It isn't unreadable, but it annoyed me the first time I installed 10.4.8, and so I tried to fix it and it totally crashed. I mean, it booted up to the blue screen and cursor and stopped. I tried to reinstall OSX at that point, and realized I couldn't even boot to XP! So a word of CAUTION (if it isn't obvious): Uninstalling OSX changes your Master Boot Record (MBR), and fixing it took a long time - mostly because I learned as I was doing it. I now have a fresh install, and I am not touching the graphics again! Unless anyone knows how to fix it safely? Editing a plist file perhaps?

As for the rest, I wasn't clear about my components that work on this dv1000:

Intel 1.3 Ghz, Celeron M, dv1107ea, 60 Giga HD, 768 M RAM

Broadcom 4320: WORKS! It took some tweaking, check out Broadcom Wireless Tutorial in this forum, which is excellent.

My bluetooth usb key, which XP hated, worked Immediately! (a cheapie brand called CNet)

I can burn CDs. Will try DVDs and let you know.

iTunes 7 is very happy with my OLD iShuffle, and I can import my playlists from my XP partition.

XP partition is very easy to access, and I can see my home network drives on other XP computers.

Ethernet worked right away; that's how I connected initially to the Internet.

I even got my Palm Device (Tungsten E2) to sync (Hotsync AND iSync!) with iCal and AddressBook on Bluetooth and the USB cable.

Printer: Samsung ML-1510, worked when I went to the Samsung site and downloaded the installer. Even though OSX saw the printer, the driver didn't come with the OSX installer.

Sound works.

Issues to resolve:

-Graphics at 1024x768 - How to get them to another setting where the graphics look "normal"

-Keyboard functions - I lost my DELETE KEY, HOME and END - I use a lot for editing and writing. Any ideas?

-Sound: when a new sound is about to play, my speakers *crack* just before the sound. Otherwise, the sound is flawless after.

I apologize for my non technical response..Mac language is a little new to me (sudo and nano and all that), otherwise, I would be clearer in my responses...I just used what people are saying in the forums to edit plists, etc. Thank you in advance for any ideas...

I also must say that my HP should have come with OS X when I bought it! It seems so much happier, I mean, the fan doesn't run as much, and the unit doesn't heat up so much.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

hey, just wanted to let you guys know. I have a dv6000t (2ghz and nvidia go 7400 with 256mb) and I popped in the Jas package for sse3 the other day. Install was a complete breeze (straight onto the internal SATA drive) and got audio working with the azalia package. Unfortunately that's about as far as I got before recovering the computer to factory settings since I need Windows for school and was unable to fix the winload.exe missing error since HP does not give the install disc... I was quite angry to find that the disc that I purchased from them wasn't actually an install disc, but simply another way of accessing their recovery partition... that is all

hey guys, I too own a HP Pavilion dv9000ca (ca as in Canada..lol) but I am in desperate need of help to fix my problem, which is that the installation cannot recognize my hard drive, thus cannot recognize my mac partition. I've been at this for over 12 hours trying to get this to work and Im getting very tired. Do you have any solutions?

System Specs:

AMD Turion Tl-56

2gb RAM

NVIDIA 6150

hey guys, I too own a HP Pavilion dv9000ca (ca as in Canada..lol) but I am in desperate need of help to fix my problem, which is that the installation cannot recognize my hard drive, thus cannot recognize my mac partition. I've been at this for over 12 hours trying to get this to work and Im getting very tired. Do you have any solutions?

System Specs:

AMD Turion Tl-56

2gb RAM

NVIDIA 6150

i don't know much about the matter, but it sounds like your disc doesn't have sata drivers? these guys prob know more, but I would try downloading a new disk... if you use newsgroups, try searching for jas on gotnzb.com; thats the disc i used and it recognized my drive (although not my external usb, which is what i really wanna get it to recognize)

Just wanted to report back I finally got OS X 10.4.8 installed on my lappy. Originally trying to dualboot with Vista, but after having to load the JaS DVD for OS X to boot, or the Vista DVD for winload.exe, I just said screw it and have two hfs+ partitions. A 10 gig for OS X, and the rest for data and docs.

With debauchery1st's solution for my Broadcom 4311, and the Conexant High Def Audio Package, everything (except sleep...) works great and MUCH quicker than Vista did.

Thx 2 all,

Nd

I have a dv9000 and just joined the forum because of this post ;)

The first distribution I tried must not have had sata drivers because it didnt see my drives. I'm downloading another one now, and will post back with my results.

Please excuse my ignorance I'm trying to learn. How do I install the kext files that EnigmaCurry recommended? I can't even seem to find the files on the links he posted?

We should put together a finalized guide for installing on dv 6 & 9000's to help noobs like me :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have my dv6000 dual booting so well now I can't be happier. MAC is wonderful, however there is the audio and network. I keep thumbing through all the posts on the network solutions, but my internal nic is greyed out and the firewire is the only thing in the file everyone says to edit. I have the pro/100ve but I can't get it to take. Suggestions on why the firewire connections is the only thing in the network plist file, that would be a good start. And what was the fix for the audio.

BTW, dual booting was a pain at first but let Darwin do all the work and F' the vista bootloader.

I posted my solution to wireless networking on the dv6000t in another thread. Check out Disable whitelist on dv6000t.

I gave enough information that a similar solution should be able to be created for the dv9000t with little effort and using only the tools provided.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=339537

I'm using it now with my dv6103nr to post this.

Enjoy! :)

I have an HP DV9225US and a few things are not working. I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on the internal hard drive and I'm using an external USB hard drive to boot Mac OSX86 JaS 10.4.8. The keyboard, touchpad, Both the keyboard and touchpad do not work at all. Strangely though, when I installed the Conexant HD Audio kext ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=176549 ) to get my sound working, both the keyboard and touchpad worked on the first reboot, but did not work after that.

At this point I'm trying to get the following items working.

The system specs can be found on HP's website here.

Windows Vista is showing:

keyboard - PNP0303 (standard 101 key microsoft)

touchpad - syn0129 (synaptics ps/2 port touchpad)

wireless - ven 14f1 / dev 4312 (broadcom 802.11abg WLAN)

ethernet - ven 10de / dev 0269 (nvidia nforce networking controller)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these working? I don't really need to get both the wireless AND ethernet working. I'll be happy getting only one of those working. I'm also currently using an external usb keyboard/mouse as it's the only option that works. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

has anyone installed OS X86 on an Intel based dv?

I have a DV6000t with these specs:

C2D 2ghz T7200

GO 7400 256mb

Vista Premium

1gb Ram (soon to be 1.5gb)

Wireless a/b/g

Bluetooth

I have yet to see anyone with my set up install OS X86. I want to give it a try this Friday, but I was looking for a full tuturial but this seems to be the closest thing to it...

am i understanding correctly that i HAVE to install on an external then somehow copy it over to a partition on my DV? I have read other members being able to do a straight install onto a partition....

Provided you follow the instructions for a dual boot setup using Vista, OS X and Acronis OS selector you are unlikely to go wrong with an Intel based model. I have the dv6205us and all of the answers are on this forum; use google, the search term you are after and the word insanelymac. It's all out there. The only thing I haven't got working is sound via the headphone socket, the card reader (heeeeelp!) and a decent battery life. I installed using the most recent JAS 10.4.8 download and then updated that using the JAS 10.4.9 update (which in the case of my desktop computer caused it to no longer boot but it worked perfectly with the dv6205us, provided you change the fsb to - in my case - 133. I hope that sets you on the right track. :) OS X runs faster than Vista on my laptop, even having given the laptop a 2gig memory upgrade (which speeds up Vista vastly).

The card reader, anyone ? :)

[How-to] Turn your HP/Compaq v6000t into a full-fledged MacBook!

Download the DVD install disk:

JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.S SE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated

(this is available on Demonoid.com via bitorrent, PM me for the torrent if you don't have an account)

Burn the DVD, put it aside.

Download Hiren's Boot CD 6.8 that comes with a multitude of useful disk partitioning utilites.

It is available at Demonoid.com as well, but also can find it in other torrent search engines.

Burn this CD.

OK now you are ready to begin.

Boot up the Hiren's CD. Run Partition Magic 8. You will see 2 partitions. The Vista partition and the smaller 6gb restore partition. Now what I did was shrink the Vista partition and created a second partion for MacOSX and I left the restore partition alone. You can delete the restore partition if you want, it's up to you. Nothing bad will happen, but I would make sure you burn your system restore CD's from Vista before you do this!! (unless you ordered a DVD copy already).

Here's what I did:

Partition 1: 30gb NTFS (Vista)

Partition 2: 20gb FAT32 (You will format this to HFS+ Journaled when you boot the Jas DVD installer)

Partition 3: 6gb NTFS Compaq Restore (I eventually plan to make this a linux partition)

Make sure the FAT32 (pre-MacOSX) partition is made as a primary partition! Don't do logic partition or you'll regret it.

NOTE*** If later, the MacOSX disk utility doesn't see the partition or doesn't let you format it, then you'll have to use window's DISKPART from the command prompt to select the partition and make the partition's ID type to AF.

(see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=67971)

Ok.. now you apply the changes.. then reboot the computer, running off the Jas DVD. Press a key to begin install.

Prepare for a long wait while it loads up, then you will get to the MacOS install...

Choose English.. go through the install, make sure you apply the custom patches.

Now, reboot and darwin boot loader should start MacOSX for you.

If you want to boot Vista. Press F8 before darwin loader boots MacOSX and it will show the boot menu.

If Vista says error on the winload.exe file, then boot up your Vista DVD and use the repair installation option. It will work again.

Search insanely mac forum for the following patches:

CPU control:

Speedstep patch (w/ CPU Throttler2 - otherwise your CPU will run full all the time)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23329

Audio:

Conexant HD Audio pkg patch (for speaker audio out, but no mic and no headphones)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=263455

Wireless:

small edit to some files to activate the default Broadcom 4311 wireless card (will not work for those who ordered the intel a/g/n upgrade!!)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...l=broadcom+4311

Prevent sleep when closing the lid (since laptop will not wake up upon a sleep):

Get the Insomnia.kext

http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/meltmac/

PowerManagement (to see battery charge and for sleep/wake!! it works!!):

Get PowerManagement bundle which is supposed to let you get battery and power usage control.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...powermanagement

CPU temp monitoring:

Install Bresnik's widget for CPU temp monitoring (the only one that works).

http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitorWE.html

Fix mouse movement:

get SteerMouse program

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

Extra instructions:

In case you mess up the darwin boot loader, boot up the JaS DVD, run the terminal program instead of installing (under tools menu)

type:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2 (for partition 2, or whichever partition you have MacOS)

update

write

quit

now type the following:

dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2 bs=512 count=1

darwin boot loader should be back.

For vista booting messed up, boot the Vista DVD and choose repair.

GOOD LUCK!!! MacOSX rocks!

An excellent first post for the folks out there! Welcome :) Sure beats Google. Seen any cribs on how to get the card reader working?

ahhh.. good question.. I would like this too.. I haven't looked hard enough yet.. but my hunch is that if we can find out the model/brand of the card reader, we can hunt down some drivers!

Brand of Card reader is Ricoh.

don't know where to find the drivers for that.. too bad it is not like a USB device.

I love my HP dv6205us. It has been so stable. I run Vista on Parallels on it and the speed is pretty good. The power saving links; do the power saving patches make a lot of difference. What sort of battery life are you looking at? I want to get the 9 cell battery. Then again, I'm saving up for the next Macbook, lol (especially if they improve the case, that sharp leading edge against your palm). Someone out there must have got the card reader working!

The powermanagement link allowd you to track battery usage. Strange this about it is that the battery icon didn't show

up after I installed it, but then I unplugged my computer and it came on. Now its working fine. MacOS definitely eats

up my power faster than Vista.

I don't think the power options work as well in Vista, but it does lower the screen brightness when you go on battery,

so it is doing something right. I still think its worth installing, since it adds some power management.

I have 1gb and 1.73 ghz T2250. I haven't tried running vista on parallels yet, just XP. What are your specs?

Btw - did you install vista on a virtual HD, or are you running it off the original vista partition?? I would like to

run from partition and not make another virtual HD.

also hoping for headphone/mic to work.. but I'm happy as it is.. MacOSX is what I run all the time now.. so

much better than Vista! and I love Parallels!

Btw - any other tips you know of? btw - I just figured out how to allow MacOSX to read AND write to NTFS Vista partition

(using MacFUSE and NTFS-3G)

Cheers !