10 reasons not to get Vista

Alessandro17

42 posts in this topic

Are you that worried that people will switch?

It's inevitable. Sooner or later everyone will be on Vista.

Other things you've heard before:

"No one will switch to XP"

"No one will ever need more than 640k"

agree..with microsoft agressive marketing couple with its OEM deal with pc maker, vista will be dominating..

Other things you've heard before:

"No one will switch to XP"

"No one will ever need more than 640k"

Change is inevitable, yes... but I'm not yet convinced MS's Vista will be the computing center of the world in the coming years. Right now, I think it safe to say we're in the middle of a toss-up with Novell doing very well and Apple swelling. I could readily see the tides drastically (slowly but surely) changing depending on everyone's chess moves. Particularly if OSX gets licensed I think we'll see Vista crushed...

The main reason I say this is because of MS greatly hindered reputation, security (validations etc), potential (maybe not) mass viruses... etc. I'm simply not sure how well the public will respond.

Me? I'm still on a old P4 workstation w/ 1GB RAM and 64MB video... but an upgrade in the near future :turbin: I've never had any of the dreaded Microsoft issues/viruses. But I don't plan on purchasing Vista until at least one major update is released. Just as I didn't upgrade to XP until just before SP2...

If Apple wants to gain more mainstream marketshare, they should give other manufacturers the option to install it on their computers as well.

Because the current run of {censored} hardware isn't doign them much good. MBP's are failing left right and center.

Change is inevitable, yes... but I'm not yet convinced MS's Vista will be the computing center of the world in the coming years. Right now, I think it safe to say we're in the middle of a toss-up with Novell doing very well and Apple swelling. I could readily see the tides drastically (slowly but surely) changing depending on everyone's chess moves. Particularly if OSX gets licensed I think we'll see Vista crushed...

The main reason I say this is because of MS greatly hindered reputation, security (validations etc), potential (maybe not) mass viruses... etc. I'm simply not sure how well the public will respond.

Me? I'm still on a old P4 workstation w/ 1GB RAM and 64MB video... but an upgrade in the near future :turbin: I've never had any of the dreaded Microsoft issues/viruses. But I don't plan on purchasing Vista until at least one major update is released. Just as I didn't upgrade to XP until just before SP2...

your arguement will be valid if other players do something that increase the awareness of end user to their OS..as for apple the price need to be revised IMHO if they do want to gain more share in pc market..and for linux they need to get together to progress furher i mean the developers, companies, enthusiasts and stop arguing about proprietary vs non-proprietary.. if not..than microsoft will still dominate even though slowly..

p/s:sorry if my english is not good..it's not my mother tongue..

If Apple wants to gain more mainstream marketshare, they should give other manufacturers the option to install it on their computers as well.

Because the current run of {censored} hardware isn't doign them much good. MBP's are failing left right and center.

I agree, their laptops are really not up to par with Apple's long establish superiority in the mobility sector. I've own many G4's and had very few issues that were immediately resolved. I just hope these issues aren't here to stay and Apple irons them out with time since the switch is arguably very young.

I'm extremely disappointed in my MBP (purchased in March)... Don't get me wrong, it's great when it works :rolleyes:

Edited by jgrimes80

I think for Apple to start gaining more marketshare, they're going to have to add more diversity to their hardware, fitting more price ranges. There is no doubt that Vista is going to dominate the OS market, simply because it is Windows. And I thinkt that Vista is a BIG improvement over XP. Everything is more streamlined, and some of the new features make it hard to go back to XP. That's not to say that I wouldn't rather be in Tiger...

Edited by rollcage

I think for Apple to start gaining more marketshare, they're going to have to add more diversity to their hardware, fitting more price ranges. There is no doubt that Vista is going to dominate the OS market, simply because it is Windows. And I thinkt that Vista is a BIG improvement over XP. Everything is more streamlined, and some of the new features make it hard to go back to XP. That's not to say that I wouldn't rather be in Tiger...

I think this is the key... very few people even need a core 2 duo in their computer (no need to pay for it). Just as many people want "real" video card for games or what have you but don't need TWO woodcrest chips...

nice post..agree..

I am not worried, but I want to do my (very small) part to show people that they don't have to switch to Vista, that it is far from inevitable and that there are alternatives.

Of course if my name were S.J. I'd have in my hands the power to change the world: just license OS X to Dell, HP, Sony, Lenovo...

And of course there is the Linux alternative. It is better than ever. However the problem with Linux is its tremendous fragmentation. If somebody with really big money (Google?) created their Linux distribution, that could change the world of operating systems as well.

Microsoft is weaker now than it has been for years. However it is extremely important that the other players play their cards well.

10. Face it, you have no choice

When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

From the rebuttal, this one is priceless. :pirate2:. If you own a Mac or a PC and use open source alternatives, Microsoft can't own you. Open source is the way to go :gathering:.

/me makes sure his arse is where he left it and not within Redmond's reach.

That was said by Bill Gates. Logical conclusion: nobody will ever need Windows.

I know bill gates said it.

Reality is, that everyone uses window, as Apple only has about 2.3% of the market.

Now, if Apple was smart, at this point in time, they should stop making computers with, and just make the OS, and let PC manufactureres

offer it as an option to Windows.

It's not as if their new computers are anything to write home about, quality wise.

theres not a single apple tv ad aired in new zealand regarding macs. its so sad.

the few most significant changes on vista that i can tell are networking, the search; a hell of alot like macs have always been anywhere up to 5 years ago, its prettyness; typical of microsoft to make it like windows 95 again after 5 releases, it just has a round start bar this time, um.. that noone has made virises for it yet.. give it a few months, the security just tells warns u a whole lot of the time 'this file could be dangerous, we recmomend u dont get it.. we wont let u get it anyway'

havent really had that big a play with it, it makes ur life easier for alot of basic things anyway.. ive actually forgotten what this topic was about

And of course there is the Linux alternative. It is better than ever. However the problem with Linux is its tremendous fragmentation. If somebody with really big money (Google?) created their Linux distribution, that could change the world of operating systems as well.

Microsoft is weaker now than it has been for years. However it is extremely important that the other players play their cards well.

I had heard something about a GoogleOS a while back, kinda figured it would've been out by now... oh well.

I had heard something about a GoogleOS a while back, kinda figured it would've been out by now... oh well.

I thought that OS was an old April Fools Joke by Google O_o. Maybe Im wrong though.

10 Reasons that make sense.

DirectX 10 is a big problem that will make people want to buy it. Once games become DX10 only, everyone will have to buy Vista. And since it seems like they did cripple OpenGL, it puts more pressure on developers to make DX10 only games. Its not the tech-savy people that will suffer Vista, its the regular user who doesn't know what DX10 is and follows Microsoft's ads about you needing DX10 to live =/.

Maybe, maybe not. How many regular users do pc gaming? I would suspect not many. And those that do are into WOW and such, and will NOT need to upgrade. The console gaming with Xbox Live is taking the casual gamer by storm and I think many just use the pc for downloads, chatting, email, etc. Gaming is moving away from PCs so D10 isn't a clencher like you may think. Plus, will companies program D10 only? No. Why would they and lose sales? If I was a game company, I would program the game with D9 and D10 in it, not just the new one that almost NOBODY uses. If I did do D10 only, then I {censored} all those that want to buy my game, since they have to upgrade to Vista and upgrade video card. No flaming you, but not happening there! Microsoft can't make any user or company do anything. D10 isn't going to be all that instantly cause it is to much to force users to it. Most games will have D9 compatibility.

Edited by sandmanfvrga